Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Purdue at Indiana Game Thread - 7:00pm ESPN2

13 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

We forced Edwards into an off balance shot. Couldnt ask for better. Morgan doesnt block out Haarms is why we lost.

We shoot like s—t from 3 and everyone beats us knowing that. They double team our bigs, Romeo gets picked up by every other defender on the court while usually being fouled. This game is much different in that the scenario to win was still there against Purdue. I believe a top level coach wins it in those scenarios. 

6 minutes ago, cchuntsman said:

I doubt he draws a foul on Haarms.  When the double came, and it would’ve come, DeRon would dribble away towards the three point line like he did all game.  

I don’t know but I just thought he played a great game and would have taken the loss a lot easier with him on the court than Smith. Even if we missed a shot DeRon fought hard for a couple boards. On the bright side next year is a new year and Haarms has to face hopefully a healthy Davis and TJD. He can’t guard both either. 

4 minutes ago, cchuntsman said:

It looked like the play was designed to be a handoff to Romeo, but Romeo didn’t create space from Eastern.  Romeo needed to jab-step to the baseline before running to the dribble handoff.  Since Romeo didn’t set up Eastern to create any space, Juwan couldn’t safely do the handoff.  

How about Romeo taking the ball out? Let others screen and cut then let him make the best decision on whom to pass so he can get it back quickly? That sounds much more effective knowing how Purdue played our handoffs and the probable one possession game on the line.

1 minute ago, schoosier said:

We shoot like s—t from 3 and everyone beats us knowing that. They double team our bigs, Romeo gets picked up by every other defender on the court while usually being fouled. This game is much different in that the scenario to win was still there against Purdue. I believe a top level coach wins it in those scenarios. 

I’m confused.  You say Romeo is getting fouled without it getting called, and we shoot poorly, but a top level coach could fix those things.  That seems like issues with reffing and roster.  Not sure a coach is the issue there.  One requires the Big Ten to fix and the other requires a roster overhaul, which Archie will do this offseason.  

5 minutes ago, cbp4iu said:

I don’t know but I just thought he played a great game and would have taken the loss a lot easier with him on the court than Smith. Even if we missed a shot DeRon fought hard for a couple boards. On the bright side next year is a new year and Haarms has to face hopefully a healthy Davis and TJD. He can’t guard both either. 

Definitely agree with you there.  

I hate losing, especially to Purdue, but we were beaten by a better team tonight. I don't think Painter gets enough credit for his coaching ability. What he has done with the players on that roster is amazing. I had them picked comfortably in the bottom third of the conference. 

1 minute ago, schoosier said:

How about Romeo taking the ball out? Let others screen and cut then let him make the best decision on whom to pass so he can get it back quickly? That sounds much more effective knowing how Purdue played our handoffs and the probable one possession game on the line.

Definitely agree the way we got Romeo the ball could have been better.   Just don’t want people to think Archie wasn’t trying to get Romeo the ball.  

The college game changed a few years ago to not allow the bump, grab, shove of cutters. It works for awhile and then the Big Ten loves them some trash basketball and reverts back to the old. The “can’t call all the fouls” defenses of Wisconsin and purshit reign supreme.

I wonder how those teams will perform in the tournament.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

If Archie expects to still be here in a couple of years, he has to get some shooters, this offense will not cut it. I don’t think I could be any sicker of losing to purdue.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
Im just concerned next year i do not see a big difference in shooters.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

It’s a ******* joke but the Big Ten loves its “toughness” mantra. It doesn’t play in today’s game. Michigan has been the best representative of Big Ten basketball in the tourney recently and they don’t play that garbage.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

NCAA tourney is a guard game. The best Michigan teams have good guards that peak at the right time and take over. IU had sorely been missing that Trey Burke, Derrick Walton and Matthews. With a solid complementary great big McGary and Wagner  In college I truly believe you have to have a star point guard to excel. We don’t have one of those. Phinisee may become that guy in the future. I still think if Senior Yogi was on that team in 2012-2013 IU wins it all. 

Just now, cchuntsman said:

I’m confused.  You say Romeo is getting fouled without it getting called, and we shoot poorly, but a top level coach could fix those things.  That seems like issues with reffing and roster.  Not sure a coach is the issue there.  One requires the Big Ten to fix and the other requires a roster overhaul, which Archie will do this offseason.  

You are confused since I didn’t say that. My issue with Archie was clock management with the lead and a foul to give under a minute after a timeout to boot. Did you not read that?

2 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

Recorded the game, Watched the first half only then just checked the score and saw we lost...but why can our bigs not pass out of the double to the open man? Lazy, sloppy passes

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

We dropped the ball down and don’t look up. Smith and co had a couple times where they had guards open for layups. Time to do the Rebound method and put icy hot in the arm pits 

But if he shot better then how is it relevant? His point was Archie makes guys worse shooters

Yeah, I don’t know brother. I didn’t really like where he was trying to take it. I will say this though, I was shocked, and I mean SHOCKED, to read what his senior numbers from 3 actually were. I remember last year very well, and my man, Rob had serious problems from there that whole season. He had huge droughts at different times, and I can clearly remember that many of them he DID make, looked horrible as he would drift wildly back and left. By rights, he lucked into many. There was no way what he was doing was sustainable. Hence the droughts. Honestly, if I didn’t already know how well you guys research stats, I’d have said those numbers had to be a lie.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, schoosier said:

You are confused since I didn’t say that. My issue with Archie was clock management with the lead and a foul to give under a minute after a timeout to boot. Did you not read that?

I didn’t see any mention of clock management and a foul to give in your post. You must have said that in a previous one.  I only noticed this...

We shoot like s—t from 3 and everyone beats us knowing that. They double team our bigs, Romeo gets picked up by every other defender on the court while usually being fouled. This game is much different in that the scenario to win was still there against Purdue. I believe a top level coach wins it in those scenarios.“

57 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I felt he was. Archie said he struggled last year because he was working hard on defense. Imo a coach can effect all aspects of a team. I see alot on here disagree and that is ok.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

Working hard on defense made Rob start shooting falling to the side?  Archie backed a struggling player with a positive comment on another part of his game.  Seriously some of the “rationale” on here is beyond belief.

Yeah, I don’t know brother. I didn’t really like where he was trying to take it. I will say this though, I was shocked, and I mean SHOCKED, to read what his senior numbers from 3 actually were. I remember last year very well, and my man, Rob had serious problems from there that whole season. He had huge droughts at different times, and I can clearly remember that many of them he DID make, looked horrible as he would drift wildly back and left. By rights, he lucked into many. There was no way what he was doing was sustainable. Hence the droughts. Honestly, if I didn’t already know how well you guys research stats, I’d have said those numbers had to be a lie.

Game at Iowa helped his numbers. I believe he hit 8 and tied the Indiana record for number of 3 in a game

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/robert-johnson-5.html