Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Purdue at Indiana Game Thread - 7:00pm ESPN2

People love to make their own narratives. If we win by 1 tonight are people saying the same thing? It was essentially the exact same game
Yes i would. I am angry we couldn't bring that effort all season and you have to shoot better. I loved the fight on its own but kind of sad we didn't bring it most season

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, VO5 said:

I’m sorry but this isn’t possible. A coach doesn’t make anyone a bad shooter. If you’re a shooter, you’re a shooter. They put in countless hours in practice and on their own in cook hall. Archie isn’t doing anything to make them bad shooters. We just don’t have a single elite, or even good, shooter on our team

Shooters didn’t cost us the game. How about court awareness and clock management coming out of the timeout?  How about using your last foul by telling your team to out muscle anyone underneath and make the officials make the call on the tip in? Or using the foul in the front court so your d can reset? Or actually giving the ball to your top 5 draft pick after the timeout and let him get fouled? The team put us in a position to win but Archie didn’t have the chops to win it. Not tonight.

Just now, coonhounds said:

What was his freshman and sophomore

38.8% on 3.9 attempts his freshman year and 44.7% on 3.8 attempts his sophomore year. 

His freshman year 65.1% from the line on 1.3 attempts, his sophomore year 63.9% on 1.2 attempts, his junior year 75.5% on 1.6 attempts and his senior year 70.4% on 2.6 attempts per game. 

1 minute ago, cbp4iu said:

Even on offense he wasn’t in. He could have attacked Haarms with 4 fouls. DeRon easily could have gotten Haarms to bite

I’m guessing he wasn’t in offensively because he struggled passing out of double teams tonight.  

38.8% on 3.9 attempts his freshman year and 44.7% on 3.8 attempts his sophomore year. 
His freshman year 65.1% from the line on 1.3 attempts, his sophomore year 63.9% on 1.2 attempts, his junior year 75.5% on 1.6 attempts and his senior year 70.4% on 2.6 attempts per game. 
Thanks.

20 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

4 players had 3 turnovers a piece, and we only shot 61% from the line.  Great defense, but that was heartbreaking.

Far too often the offense seems to be dribble handoff and hope for the best.  Too little movement and too many times where the ball just dies.

Why does Smith play so much?

61% FT shooting.  Lose by 2.  Hmmmm, maybe I'm hallucinating but I seem to remember someone, somewhere earlier in the season trying to convince us that FT shooting isn't important.

1 minute ago, schoosier said:

Shooters didn’t cost us the game. How about court awareness and clock management coming out of the timeout?  How about using your last foul by telling your team to out muscle anyone underneath and make the officials make the call on the tip in? Or using the foul in the front court so your d can reset? Or actually giving the ball to your top 5 draft pick after the timeout and let him get fouled? The team put us in a position to win but Archie didn’t have the chops to win it. Not tonight.

How about Juwan making the missed dunk? How about Juwan not slipping on that last play? How about any of our wide open 3 pointers going in? How about Juwan making more than 40% of his free throws? Or How about Juwan boxing out against Haarms? See, it’s not that simple

Even on offense he wasn’t in. He could have attacked Haarms with 4 fouls. DeRon easily could have gotten Haarms to bite

Doubled the post every time. Hard to draw fouls passing it back to the guard. Double “help” it’s called. Not always just about stopping a scorer.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

18 minutes ago, theriverpilot said:

I’d love to read an explanation on how a coach makes a player a terrible shooter 

By having different priorities and not being as detail oriented as his predecessor. Go back and watch Johnson’s shot as a Jr and as a Sr. Crean used to talk all the time about shot mechanics. Always bring the ball up your shooting hand side. Elevation never changes. Land 7 inches in front of your elevation point.  People who watched their practices raved about how detailed their skill development piece was. As a Junior, Johnson’s stroke was much simpler and cleaner. But it was obviously a constant battle against some of his tendencies. As a Sr, he developed a pronounced leftward lean, his elevation dropped, his landing point was inconsistent. He was absolutely not as good a shooter. Same with Newkirk. Different issues, but the same results. I find it interesting that Schilling gets credited as an elite skill development guy while skill development is pretty obviously an issue here. 

Which tells me it isn’t on Archie or his message. It’s on the players actually deciding they want to show up. Effort is in your heart/mind as a player. It takes your own internal motivation. A coach can scream at you and get on you as much as he wants, but you have to be the one that decides to give effort. 
He definitely got their attention for this game and that was good. Need to keep it going and will be interesting since they basically are out of it now barring a miracle. We will see how they respond

1 minute ago, Demo said:

By having different priorities and not being as detail oriented as his predecessor. Go back and watch Johnson’s shot as a Jr and as a Sr. Crean used to talk all the time about shot mechanics. Always bring the ball up your shooting hand side. Elevation never changes. Land 7 inches in front of your elevation point.  People who watched their practices raved about how detailed their skill development piece was, As a Junior, Johnson’s stroke was much simpler and cleaner. But it was obviously a constant battle against some of his tendencies. As a Sr, he developed a pronounced leftward lean, his elevation dropped, his landing point was inconsistent. He was absolutely not as good a shooter. Same with Newkirk. Different issues, but the same results. I find it interesting that Shilling gets credited as an elite skill development guy while skill development is pretty obviously an issue here. 

And yet, as Hoosierfan2017 pointed out, Rob shot better as a senior on more attempts..

2 minutes ago, VO5 said:

How about Juwan making the missed dunk? How about Juwan not slipping on that last play? How about any of our wide open 3 pointers going in? How about Juwan making more than 40% of his free throws? Or How about Juwan boxing out against Haarms? See, it’s not that simple

5 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Which tells me it isn’t on Archie or his message. It’s on the players actually deciding they want to show up. Effort is in your heart/mind as a player. It takes your own internal motivation. A coach can scream at you and get on you as much as he wants, but you have to be the one that decides to give effort. 

Been saying all of this all season.

3 minutes ago, VO5 said:

And yet, as Hoosierfan2017 pointed out, Rob shot better as a senior on more attempts..

That’s not correct. He shot the same from 3, and worse from both 2 and from the line.

Just now, Demo said:

That’s not correct. He shot the same from 3, and worse from both 2 and from the line.

He shot .3% better. So he was able to shoot better from 3, even as slight as it is, on slightly more attempts, but worse from the line and 2 and that’s on Archie? Come on

2 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Edwards missed a dunk and 20+ shots and Haarms lost a ball out of bounds earlier in the game. I believe a great coach wins it for us by it being our possession up 1 with less than a minute to play. And with a foul to give you actually use it. I like Archie and want him to succeed but he didn’t earn the paycheck tonight. 

1 minute ago, schoosier said:

Edwards missed a dunk and 20+ shots and Haarms lost a ball out of bounds earlier in the game. I believe a great coach wins it for us by it being our possession up 1 with less than a minute to play. And with a foul to give you actually use it. I like Archie and want him to succeed but he didn’t earn the paycheck tonight. 

The difference to me with Juwan and Edwards was Juwan got wide open shots from 3 and had point blank misses at the rim. We played brutal D on Edwards. He had a hand in his grill all night. Al and Rob did fantastic on him. I can’t say the same for the guys guarding Juwan

8 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

Doubled the post every time. Hard to draw fouls passing it back to the guard. Double “help” it’s called. Not always just about stopping a scorer.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Ya but I think the refs truly had DeRon been in would have gotten Haarms to foul out. I think the refs were ready to call fouls on either player. 

He definitely got their attention for this game and that was good. Need to keep it going and will be interesting since they basically are out of it now barring a miracle. We will see how they respond

I don't know if I would call 46 points at home getting their attention

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app