Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

LIHoosier

IU at Minnesota 2/16/19 2pm ESPN2

Both Risley and Hartman spoke highly of Archie and said, in various ways, that he did not suddenly forget how to coach.
Both of them said that no one on the current team seems to care if they lose.  Risley said he hated losing more than he liked winning but they agreed that this team does not seem to care.
One thing that surprised me was that Hartman said the last guy he played with that got in peoples faces was RoJo.  Shows that you sometimes can’t tell what people are like from their demeanor because Johnson always seemed like a very laid back guy to me. Hartman said RoJo would cuss at guys in film and yell at them at practice.  Hartman went on to say that the only two guys like that in his career at IU were Rob Johnson and Yogi.  Risley said all 12 guys on his IU team were like that including guys that barely played.
Hartman said he is still close to the team so he hopefully guessed they would go at least  3-3 in the next 6 games while Risley essentially said stick a fork in them, it’s over.
Neither had an answer as to how Archie could turn it around this year. Collin basically said the players have to want it but that does not seem to be the case.
Both said the public speculates but has zero idea as to what really goes on in practice. Hartman went on to mention that Fitzner was last weeks “golden jersey” recipient...LOL. 
Hartman said we need guys that really, really want to represent IU and realize what putting on the jesrsey means.  He did not mention Brooks but he definitely preferred building a team that would result in having juniors and seniors down the road. Mentioned what Mack would do every few years at Xavier with upperclassmen. Risley said he was recruited by ND, UNC, UCLA etc but he wanted to go to IU so badly it just took a little over 20 minute phone call from Knight for him to commit.
EDIT/CORRECTION: Hartman actually said only one or two players care (rather than no one) if they lose. When he was discussing the topic I remember thinking he might have been implying that Al, as an example, cares but that players like Al are a small minority.

There was also mention of the administration's role in the modern downplay of the legacy and meaning behind the Indiana basketball name. I can't remember if it was Risley or not. Definitely wasn't either of the young guys.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

24 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

There was also mention of the administration's role in the modern downplay of the legacy and meaning behind the Indiana basketball name. I can't remember if it was Risley or not. Definitely wasn't either of the young guys.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yes the administration was discussed (negatively).

Hartman also said that the guys get along (different take than all the posts that say the team is fractured) and a number of other things were mentioned that I did not recap.

I have listened to 4 or 5 of their podcasts this season.  Early in the year, around when we were 12-2 or so, Risley seemed to surprise Hartman by saying (after a win) that this team is soft.  He said the guys take what is given to them but that they did not aggressively play.  Good call on his part.  On the other hand Risley has often called for Green to get more playing time and has called him the best and/or his favorite player on the team.  It was rather shocking to me to hear a Knight/fundamentals/know your role type of guy say that Greens upside is worth the risk of not knowing what he is going to do.  Their podcasts typically last an hour and have 15-20 minutes of good info :).

59 minutes ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

Don't you hate it when IU sucks so bad you start watching Purdue because you like the way they play basketball?

Painter went after higher risk/reward kids for a while a few years ago and it went badly for him from a culture standpoint. If I recall correctly, he apologized to the fan base and went back to what worked for him. I understand that IU is not Purdue, but maybe CAM should recruit kids who fit his philosophy regardless of ranking or location. I'm not sold that players with one foot out the door before they arrive on campus are good for the long term culture of the program. We need talent but not at the expense of the goals of the team.

4 hours ago, cappymo14 said:

Anyone know what the tweets were? By the time I looked there was really nothing left but the ones where he seemed to be supporting Crean.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Calling out the coaches for lack of development. Saying if no players are better it has to be coaches. Despite Al being a veritable stud. Davis is injured. Morgan and Mcroberts has reached their peak. Really it’s just Green and Smith being knuckleheads versus being poorly developed. 

30 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Calling out the coaches for lack of development. Saying if no players are better it has to be coaches. Despite Al being a veritable stud. Davis is injured. Morgan and Mcroberts has reached their peak. Really it’s just Green and Smith being knuckleheads versus being poorly developed. 

Well, he wasn't the only father tweeting this.  I don't expect Jake back next year either.

First I saw this was today SIAP.  Quotes from Juwan post-game.

“People have to play with a better sense of urgency,” Morgan said. “I think coming out of the gates, it's just too lethargic. People (on IU’s roster) just think teams aren't going to attack us. I think they're thinking 'woe is me,' instead of 'we've got to fight out of this rut'.”

“Nobody else,” Morgan continued, “is going to do it for us.”

28 minutes ago, Josh said:

Well, he wasn't the only father tweeting this.  I don't expect Jake back next year either.

What did Jake's dad say? I don't know what some of these parents are expecting. Jake wasn't a highly recruited player coming out of high school. Surely he didn't expect more playing time than what he's been getting?