Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Walking Boot of Doom

Random Archie/Basketball Talk

There is a reason why these same players people complain about are continuing to start and play major minutes. The available bench isn't close to being ready and you see major drop off in production. That was evident the last few minutes a couple games ago when, with 3 starters with 2 fouls. Were on the bench and the offense had 4 straight TOs. It doesn't help that 5 of our expected top 9 have missed significant time this year. This includes 1 who hasn't seen the floor. 1 who saw part of 1 game and then suffered a major concussion. 1 who suffered a concussion and hasn't been the same since.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

There is a reason why these same players people complain about are continuing to start and play major minutes. The available bench isn't close to being ready and you see major drop off in production. That was evident the last few minutes a couple games ago when, with 3 starters with 2 fouls. Were on the bench and the offense had 4 straight TOs. It doesn't help that 5 of our expected top 9 have missed significant time this year. This includes 1 who hasn't seen the floor. 1 who saw part of 1 game and then suffered a major concussion. 1 who suffered a concussion and hasn't been the same since.

Some want the bench regardless of results cause they are tired of certain starters not playing to potential not that they think they will dominate and rule the world. We are tanking any how is the word

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

Some want the bench regardless of results cause they are tired of certain starters not playing to potential not that they think they will dominate and rule the world. We are tanking any how is the word

That’s right, I think our bench could go 1-9 so what’s the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Received a bit of background on Justin from my boss the other day. He's an Illinois alum and follower of the program/B1G, so we commiserate several times a week.

Anyhow, we were discussing the train wreck in progress and I mentioned the overall mentality. I mentioned Justin as an example. He told me Justin's parents are Illinois alums and it was thought he'd be recruited there, but the staff ended up passing because of a then-perceived lack of motor. Some of you probably knew this, but I found it interesting. If that's the case you'd think the guy would play with a chip on his shoulder (the good kind and not the apparent negative one he currently seems to carry).

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Received a bit of background on Justin from my boss the other day. He's an Illinois alum and follower of the program/B1G, so we commiserate several times a week.

Anyhow, we were discussing the train wreck in progress and I mentioned the overall mentality. I mentioned Justin as an example. He told me Justin's parents are Illinois alums and it was thought he'd be recruited there, but the staff ended up passing because of a then-perceived lack of motor. Some of you probably knew this, but I found it interesting. If that's the case you'd think the guy would play with a chip on his shoulder (the good kind and not the apparent negative one he currently seems to carry).

Interesting. He had an Illinois offer

Interesting. He had an Illinois offer

Hmm. That is interesting. Maybe it ended up being a late offer due to that observation. Either way, his motor was questioned coming out of HS. Unfortunately he's proving them correct at the moment.

23 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Wondered when this would be brought up. I had a feeling there was a "reason" Crean was able to land him that didnt show in the highlight film.

Hmm. That is interesting. Maybe it ended up being a late offer due to that observation. Either way, his motor was questioned coming out of HS. Unfortunately he's proving them correct at the moment.

https://www.thechampaignroom.com/2016/8/1/12347486/justin-smith-illinois-fighting-illini-basketball-recruiting-news-villanova-michigan-indiana

I'm not happy with what's going on, but there is no way I agree with that. There is at least a chance to win with the top 7. Play the others and there is no chance. Sorry I don't believe in giving up

1 minute ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I'm not happy with what's going on, but there is no way I agree with that. There is at least a chance to win with the top 7. Play the others and there is no chance. Sorry I don6believe in tanking

But if we tank we get a lottery pick!!!!!!

I'm not happy with what's going on, but there is no way I agree with that. There is at least a chance to win with the top 7. Play the others and there is no chance. Sorry I don't believe in giving up 

I agree with you I was just saying how most feel. You and archie will probably keep the faith as you should. Most of us realize we are deep six and the ground hogs are bringing the mail.

I'm feeling nostalgic for Kelvin Sampson. His Houston Cougars are ranked #12 in the country and some are calling them a potential Final Four team--with no NBA draft picks. Too bad he got slippery with the text messages while in Bloomington. He can coach. In article in Yahoo Sports today says his singular skill is "his ability to motivate and connect with players to drive them to play with unflinching aggression."  We could use some of that motivation this year.

I miss Sampson the coach. However, His players were just about all awful students and humans by most accounts. Save for the Eric Gordon’s. Anyway watching the old Justin smith highlights shows a young man who once wasn’t afraid to shoot and was confident in every choice he made. That is so far from where he is now. Everything he does looks like a chore

6 minutes ago, Hoosier116 said:

I miss Sampson the coach. However, His players were just about all awful students and humans by most accounts. Save for the Eric Gordon’s. Anyway watching the old Justin smith highlights shows a young man who once wasn’t afraid to shoot and was confident in every choice he made. That is so far from where he is now. Everything he does looks like a chore

I think I said something similar yesterday to someone. Sampson would have had IU in multiple Final Fours. However, I'd like decent student-athletes on the team I am rooting for. I'm the same way with football. I really don't want to root on a domestic abuser. 

Interesting story on Sampson ...  

https://sports.yahoo.com/kelvin-sampson-revived-career-turned-houston-final-four-contender-065511600.html?fbclid=IwAR2Rpb_4NAtqMbM-_kKq2q_BOgQZFjpf5G6ehfSKDdurTBcRmd8r2Eqj4n4

It does mention that not only did he commit violations at Oklahoma -- and got punished for it -- but he continued to do so at IU. But what it doesn't mention is what several have pointed out here: That pretty much with the exception of D.J. White and Eric Gordon, the players didn't go to class and didn't seem to behave particularly well. I do recall when Crean took over, when he checked the players' grades, there were something like 19 F's. 

To me, that what Sampson did back then is no longer illegal is irrelevant. Those were the rules and he continually and knowingly broke them.

The article also mentions that Sampson learned a lot by coaching under Scott Skiles in the NBA. I wrote on another thread on this site that I thought Skiles would've been worth a look as a potential coach here -- both when we hired Crean (I think he was between jobs then) and when we hired Archie.  

I really started thinking about our roster for next season. With/without some we think may or may not transfer at seasons end. Man, from an offensive standpoint, I do not like our roster makeup right now. I see very little shooting and ball handling. We need guards and we need both guard spots. Yeah defensively we “should be” solid. we’ll be so long at nearly every spot but at PG.

there is 4 from this years team I want to see gone for sure. (I won’t name them) it’s not even counting any of the seniors either. This is why I’ve said that he needs to recruit at all cost like all of the big boys do. I mean it, time is now. Hell no, the time was yesterday