Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Walking Boot of Doom

Random Archie/Basketball Talk

14 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Completely agree, if they step up to lead the team we have a chance at being better next season. I’d add that Davis could be that third leader or “enforcer” type of guy if he jumped on with Phin and Al.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Although it appears the season is lost, it is not.  We can turn this thing around in a hurry.  Let's worry about next season when it comes, we ain't dead in the water yet.

18 minutes ago, Rico said:

Davis has absolute great court vision.  To me it is a no brainer to start him at the 5 and Juwan at the 4.  What to do with Smith is the question.

I'd like to see us start Phinisee/Durham/Langford/Morgan/Davis and sit Smith.  I want to see less of Smith and Green period, but maybe Smith can play better watching the flow of the game ala Sheehey.

4 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I'd like to see us start Phinisee/Durham/Langford/Morgan/Davis and sit Smith.  I want to see less of Smith and Green period, but maybe Smith can play better watching the flow of the game ala Sheehey.

Sheehey was my exact thought as a model for Smith. Come off the bench with some energy, make aggressive cuts to the basket for slams, crash the offensive boards.

I'm giving Smith the benefit of the doubt with this statement (which he may not deserve), but it's possible the lack of effort we've seen from him is because he's tired. Coming off the bench for 20 mins a game may help to fix that issue. Davis can't go for 30-35 minutes right now so there should still be plenty of time for Smith to impact the game.

Something has changed since December; and I can't tell if teams have scouted us differently or what's happening, but we don't look like the same team.

Well the coaches and programs in the Big Ten have always been known for scouting and game planning better than the other Power 5 conferences do. So that could be a part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Although it appears the season is lost, it is not.  We can turn this thing around in a hurry.  Let's worry about next season when it comes, we ain't dead in the water yet.

While that is true and “anything could happen” I don’t see a lot changing. The talent is there to win another 5 games but until I see any resemblance of leadership or give-a-damn it’s lost. You don’t just fix the problems this team is having overnight.

Sheehey’s attitude and ability to play his role would be much welcomed on this current team. (Sophomore/junior Sheehey) Smith could have played that role perfectly to take some of the pressure off Romeo and Morgan but I think he’s only adding to it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

While that is true and “anything could happen” I don’t see a lot changing. The talent is there to win another 5 games but until I see any resemblance of leadership or give-a-damn it’s lost. You don’t just fix the problems this team is having overnight.

Need to change some butts.  But some butts on the bench and take some butts off of the bench.  

34 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Well the coaches and programs in the Big Ten have always been known for scouting and game planning better than the other Power 5 conferences do. So that could be a part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Maybe a small part...but....  They scout us but we don't scout them?  Or we're so inept at it we lose 9 of 10 with a team talented enough to beat 3 teams in the top 12?

I don't think it's quite that simple.   Or at least for that to be a major part of the answer.   Something else is off and I don't think anyone can put a finger on it,

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I applaud the optimism sir. I really do. I still had a sliver left in my tank but then the Ohio St game happened. Some of you say what you will on this but I truly believe that there is an internal issue going on. I'm going to tune in to our next game but if I don't see anything change, I'm done for the year. Change I'm looking for is, fight, passion, cutting without the ball with purpose, hustling back on defense when something doesn't go your way on offense. I keep wishing for this stuff to change, I don't want to see 22 minutes of fight/hustle. I want to see it for 40 minutes. 

2 minutes ago, yogisballin said:

I applaud the optimism sir. I really do. I still had a sliver left in my tank but then the Ohio St game happened. Some of you say what you will on this but I truly believe that there is an internal issue going on. I'm going to tune in to our next game but if I don't see anything change, I'm done for the year. Change I'm looking for is, fight, passion, cutting without the ball with purpose, hustling back on defense when something doesn't go your way on offense. I keep wishing for this stuff to change, I don't want to see 22 minutes of fight/hustle. I want to see it for 40 minutes. 

I played for a HoF HS coach...he actually was a neighbor.  I baled hay and straw for him.  And of coarse we talked basketball as I was one of his players.  His theory was really pretty simple, put 5 guys on the floor that want to be there and give 100% while they are on it.  He said everything else would take care of itself.

Just now, Rico said:

I played for a HoF HS coach...he actually was a neighbor.  I baled hay and straw for him.  And of coarse we talked basketball as I was one of his players.  His theory was really pretty simple, put 5 guys on the floor that want to be there and give 100% while they are on it.  He said everything else would take care of itself.

I totally agree with that. This should have been done long ago but CAM has proven time and again that he is just unwilling to make these moves. Wouldn't you agree?

3 minutes ago, yogisballin said:

I totally agree with that. This should have been done long ago but CAM has proven time and again that he is just unwilling to make these moves. Wouldn't you agree?

Yes, I would.  Put 5 guys out there that are ecstatic to be on the floor and give their best.

11 minutes ago, yogisballin said:

This is the one thing I find very puzzling about Archie. ... After one display of laziness by Justin, Bob Knight would've grabbed him, thrown him on the bench and after the game, told him he should transfer because he'd never play another minute for IU. Granted, that wouldn't have necessarily been an appropriate response, but still ... Even Tom Crean would've busted Justin's a$$ for some of the things he's done this season. ... But form Archie -- nothing. At least on the surface ... And Archie is a guy who had very little athletic ability, but because he was tough as nails, knows the game and busted his butt, became a pretty good ACC point guard. Why does he accept anything less from his players??? 

11 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

This is the one thing I find very puzzling about Archie. ... After one display of laziness by Justin, Bob Knight would've grabbed him, thrown him on the bench and after the game, told him he should transfer because he'd never play another minute for IU. Granted, that wouldn't have necessarily been an appropriate response, but still ... Even Tom Crean would've busted Justin's a$$ for some of the things he's done this season. ... But form Archie -- nothing. At least on the surface ... And Archie is a guy who had very little athletic ability, but because he was tough as nails, knows the game and busted his butt, became a pretty good ACC point guard. Why does he accept anything less from his players??? 

I would think that Arch puts the best guys on the floor that provide the best opportunity to win.  We as fans, see it differently.

11 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I believe a former player addressed this on twitter awhile back.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

It was Jarrad Odle

https://twitter.com/JarradOdle

"I watched the press conference tonight for the first time ever. The comments rolling in were amazing. Some people think it’s so easy to right the ship. No, you can’t just sub everyone out. Players on the bench are there for a reason. Trust me, I was one for a long time."

You don't know he hasn't jumped him about it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk