Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

8bucks

Cody’s freshman yr vs this year

Six I believe
Jones, Cody, Watford, Hulls, Sheehey Oladipo 

Yeah I kind left out Sheehey since he took a few more years after that to get there.

Regardless, he was a stud 6th man. His athleticism, shooting, and cocky/aggressive would be welcome on this team.

Turns out he wasn’t a great leader though either...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 hours ago, 8bucks said:

I saw where Rabjohns was suggesting that no one who knew anything felt this years IU team was going to be a strong team. He points out that the BT was really strong this year and the roster was not constructed well.

I know this isn't what the topic you wanted to discuss, only your inspiration, but I found it worth a chuckle considering that Drew Davis wrote a preseason power ranking that listed Indiana third in the conference, right there on Peegs itself:

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/ContentGallery/Preseason-Big-Ten-Mens-Basketball-Power-Rankings-123776057/#123776057_3

The unofficial Big Ten media poll, organized by Brendan Quinn, picked Indiana to finish third as well (sharing the ITH link for those without an Athletic subscription):

https://www.insidethehall.com/2018/10/10/indiana-picked-to-finish-third-in-big-ten-in-official-unofficial-media-poll/

Third is also where Alex Bozich had Indiana ranked:

https://www.insidethehall.com/2018/10/24/big-ten-power-rankings-preseason-edition/

Both the preseason AP Poll and KenPom had us ranked 28th in the country, fourth and fifth in the Big Ten respectively:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/week/1/year/2019/seasontype/2

https://www.insidethehall.com/2018/10/20/indiana-ranked-no-28-in-initial-kenpom-ratings/

All this was assuming a healthy Indiana team, of course, but unless Rabjohns wants to insist all these people were swept up in fan emotion and didn't actually study the Big 10 rosters (as his tweet alleges) then he's being disingenuous at best, here.

On 2/13/2019 at 12:48 AM, Brass Cannon said:

Six I believe

Jones, Cody, Watford, Hulls, Sheehey Oladipo 

This still blows my mind. I guess it helped they came into a program with nothing left of its roster, other than a walk on and a couple baseball players. They became so experienced and gelled from receiving starter minutes from day one. And, the comment about a chip on their shoulders is exactly right. The fierce competitive attitude of Sheehey and Hulls, especially...and the nonstop work ethic of Oladipo (and pretty much everyone else) made it so inspiring to watch them climb out of the basement of college basketball.

I’m not sure how much of this constant, additional work is being put in by players on this year’s roster. Maybe more of it is happening than I’m aware of, but it seems that drive is missing. It makes me all the more interested in watching Forrester evolve after watching him stay on the court to workout after the game the other night. 

On 2/12/2019 at 8:56 PM, mdn82 said:

In Cody’s freshman year we had a top ten class that was balanced become Juniors. They had massive game experience despite not being ready the previous two years. We also had Sheehey and Oladipo who were making the sophomore jump and motivated. Both spent massive time in the gym. What they were missing was a pg/big as well as a primary player. Cody provided that but we didn’t need Cody to go out and average 20+ like we do Romeo. That team could shoot. That is truly the main difference. But beyond that we had 3 classes that produced. The Juniors and Sophomores were huge and Cody was what we needed as icing not the main piece. If Romeo wasn’t asked to be the man, we would be better. If we had shooters that could hit, it would clear lanes for him to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Just think how good we would've been if Copabianco had stayed! 

10 hours ago, ray said:

This still blows my mind. I guess it helped they came into a program with nothing left of its roster, other than a walk on and a couple baseball players. They became so experienced and gelled from receiving starter minutes from day one. And, the comment about a chip on their shoulders is exactly right. The fierce competitive attitude of Sheehey and Hulls, especially...and the nonstop work ethic of Oladipo (and pretty much everyone else) made it so inspiring to watch them climb out of the basement of college basketball.

I’m not sure how much of this constant, additional work is being put in by players on this year’s roster. Maybe more of it is happening than I’m aware of, but it seems that drive is missing. It makes me all the more interested in watching Forrester evolve after watching him stay on the court to workout after the game the other night. 

Love the Forrester enthusiasm.

2 hours ago, Joe DeLow said:

You can probably argue that the Big Ten was as strong or stronger. The Final AP poll had MSU #5, OSU #7, Michigan #13, Wisconsin #14 and Indiana #16. Talent included Jared Sullinger, Aaron Craft, Deshaun Thomas, Draymond Green, Keith Appling, Adreian Payne, Braden Dawson, Trey Burke, Tim Hardaway Jr, Jordan Taylor, Ryan Evans, Jared Berggren, Zeller, Olafipo, Watford and Hulls. Those are the 6 teams that made the tourney. The rest of the league had Robbie Hummel, John Shurna, Drew Crawford, Matt Gatens, Roy Devyn Marble, Aaron White, Brandon Paul, Meyers Leonard, Rodney Williams, Trevor Mbakwe, Austin/Andre Hollins, Bo Spencer, Tim Frazier and Jermaine Marshall. Some of the lower teams don’t quite have that kind of talent. Illinois, Rutgers and Northwestern don’t really have anyone this year that sticks out much. The 12-13 was the strongest the B1G has been in years. That year was ridiculous. Because even Illinois and Minnesota had spent time in the Top 10 at one point. Wisconsin finished 18th and then Indiana finished 4th, Ohio State 7th, MSU 9th and UM 10th.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It seems as though the BIG is the best when IU is the best. Maybe that's why no BIG team has won the Tourney since 2000. IU has been a roller coaster. 

On 2/12/2019 at 8:33 PM, mark1981 said:

We could really use a Watford this year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BtownBanners mobile app

and a Sheehey, Hulls, Oladipo, and Zeller. Still makes me sick those teams never got past the Sweet 16. In 2012 we had some crappy losses (Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota home game) that prevented us from being a 2/3 seed. They were SOL playing Kentucky again in Atlanta. The 2013 team ran into a bad matchup but still, that was a great team. 

1 minute ago, mark1981 said:

Yep. Should have fired Crean the day after the Syracuse loss

I'm a huge sports junkie but I didn't watch the rest of the NCAA games that weekend or the final four. I was so mad. I think I watched the final (Louisville vs. Michigan) but I guess now it didn't happen. 

I'm a huge sports junkie but I didn't watch the rest of the NCAA games that weekend or the final four. I was so mad. I think I watched the final (Louisville vs. Michigan) but I guess now it didn't happen. 

That team should have at least made the final 4. Such a waste of talent and opportunity.

On 2/17/2019 at 2:51 PM, OliviaPope40 said:

I was disappointed with the Syracuse game his sophomore year we never should've lost that game. Jordan Hulls getting hurt was not ideal either and we had all the pieces to make a run and fell short. 

True. Crean also needed another 3 point shooter and a big man. His roster management included cutting Matt Roth and replacing Pritchard with Hanner Perea, quite possibly the worst moves of his coaching career.