Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bowhunter

Indiana Basketball and Culture

https://www.indianasportsbeat.com/?sfns=mo

I really liked this podcast. It really explains things and gives me some hope.

A lot of this stuff we have all talked about but it kind of brings it all together.

It’s a little long but you can forward through commercials.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Free Jake!!

https://www.indianasportsbeat.com/?sfns=mo

I really liked this podcast. It really explains things and gives me some hope.

A lot of this stuff we have all talked about but it kind of brings it all together.

It’s a little long but you can forward through commercials.

Free Jake!!

Summary please.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Some quick hitters I got from it. This current team doesn’t have a “gym rat” on it. The type like Oladipo who constantly wanted to improve. Made mention that Forrester spent 40 minutes after the OSU game shooting and working but not sure he’s known for that and no one else participated.

Another point is that the current roster is full of players that went to Indiana because it was simply a place to play basketball, not because Indiana was their dream school. Mentioned there are kids out there like Luke Brown where they’ve mentioned that Indiana is where he wants to be (paraphrasing here and no source other than what was said). That you change culture with kids like that. Kids that WANT to be there or kids like Al Durham (work ethic).

Lastly, there was a reference to a prediction of two transfers next year and possibly 5 new faces on next year’s team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Another point was the great play of DeRon Davis and the presence he brings to this team. How Davis should start with Morgan and put Smith on the bench , which is what I have been saying as well. 

I was very disappointed DeRon did not at least start the second half of the OSU game.  Archie started the same 5 guys and they got off to a terrible start (just like the beginning of the game).  I’m not saying get rid of Archie but how in the hell do you start Smith in the second half after his first half?  If I’m Smith I just assume I’m the starter no matter what. I don’t get it.

8 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

Thanks for hitting on some of that. I was called into work and hadn’t had a chance to summarize.

Another point was the great play of DeRon Davis and the presence he brings to this team. How Davis should start with Morgan and put Smith on the bench , which is what I have been saying as well. 

Talk of Rob not being right since his concussion and Romeo starting to come around, also hitting around 40% from 3 the last several games.

Talked a lot about Crean leaving us with kids that don’t care about Indiana basketball and the pride that goes along with it. Except for Durham of course. They think we will be alright once Archie gets the culture straightened out. 

Who is doing the podcast?  How closely are they associated with the program?  Thanks.

Thanks for hitting on some of that. I was called into work and hadn’t had a chance to summarize.
Talk of Rob not being right since his concussion and Romeo starting to come around, also hitting around 40% from 3 the last several games.
Talked a lot about Crean leaving us with kids that don’t care about Indiana basketball and the pride that goes along with it. Except for Durham of course. They think we will be alright once Archie gets the culture straightened out. 
That's been my feelings all along.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

We are on the verge of losing an entire generation if we haven't lost it already.  These kids today have no idea how successful IU basketball used to be.  They aren't old enough to remember the last time we made it to a FF.  All they have is what their elders tell them and the banners hanging in AH.  We have quite frankly fallen off the basketball landscape.  Now we are to the point where it is a struggle just to make it to a tournament and that includes the NIT.  Sad, but true.   

Archie and staff are most certainly NOT stupid or dense. They are aware of which current players fit in the culture that they want, and which don't.

Y'all should fully expect roster change(s) that will change the culture. Archie is actively looking for exactly those addition(s).

Just now, Myrmidon76 said:

If APR was an issue this past offseason, will it be an issue this offseason? How many transfers could we absorb (theoretically speaking)?

My understanding is that if a player left while in good academic standing, there would not be any detriment to the APR.

50 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Archie and staff are most certainly NOT stupid or dense. They are aware of which current players fit in the culture that they want, and which don't.

Y'all should fully expect roster change(s) that will change the culture. Archie is actively looking for exactly those addition(s).

Out of curiosity, are Davis and Green on track to graduate early?

We are on the verge of losing an entire generation if we haven't lost it already.  These kids today have no idea how successful IU basketball used to be.  They aren't old enough to remember the last time we made it to a FF.  All they have is what their elders tell them and the banners hanging in AH.  We have quite frankly fallen off the basketball landscape.  Now we are to the point where it is a struggle just to make it to a tournament and that includes the NIT.  Sad, but true.   

I am 29 (first time every saying that, birthday is today ha) and I can remember the over the back on boozer to beat them, Kent State, Oklahoma, and the the Juan Dixon buzzsaw. I was around 7th grade watching the duke game in a hotel because I was traveling with my AAU team. Anyways, I feel lucky to remember that run. Sadly, I don’t remember a whole lot of RMK. I remember some, but not as much as I’d like. Basically, the point of the story, my two brothers (24 and 16) are growing up in that era you are speaking of. Where the success isn’t there for them. They haven’t seen any real success and don’t know anything about the history of Indiana university except what they see on YouTube or what our dads brags about seeing/missing after a few coors light. Hopefully that will all change for their sake and ours alike.

21 minutes ago, cleeter said:

I am 29 (first time every saying that, birthday is today ha) and I can remember the over the back on boozer to beat them, Kent State, Oklahoma, and the the Juan Dixon buzzsaw. I was around 7th grade watching the duke game in a hotel because I was traveling with my AAU team. Anyways, I feel lucky to remember that run. Sadly, I don’t remember a whole lot of RMK. I remember some, but not as much as I’d like. Basically, the point of the story, my two brothers (24 and 16) are growing up in that era you are speaking of. Where the success isn’t there for them. They haven’t seen any real success and don’t know anything about the history of Indiana university except what they see on YouTube or what our dads brags about seeing/missing after a few coors light. Hopefully that will all change for their sake and ours alike.

Happy Birthday Cleeter! and I agree!!

50 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

How many good players are left to recruit? Brooks obviously, but after that the pickings are slim. We don’t need more freshman projects and IU ridiculously makes it hard to admit grad transfers.

Good question. My opinion? There are plenty:

There's Brooks; we know we are pursuing (to some extent) Beverly, and let's deal with a happy reality: there are always late rising players who other schools don't have room for. Players who were injured their junior year of hs (like OG and Cheaney), players whose team role changes dramatically and only shine thereafter (IMO Franklin playing on ball turned him into an 'on the radar' player).  

And ... some really effective grad transfers, many of whom have graduated early because they are excellent students, and therein have no problem with IU's requirements (Zeisloft and Bielfeldt). -> BTW, just because Fitzner hasn't helped doesn't mean that other grad transfers aren't a good fit. 

So, the pickings are not slim at all; they just may not have the star-power-flash of early signees with a hot stuff Rivals ranking. But I'm far more interested in players that will help IU win games, and I would take a two year Zeisloft over any player outside of the top twenty or so recruits nationally.

1 hour ago, cleeter said:

Happy B-day.

My son is 27(soon to be 28) and he was in the living room with me watching that IU/Duke game.  My daughter is 23 and she only knows "IU sucks".  She still doesn't understand why I watch them.  And that saddens me.

But anyway, enjoyed your post and have a beer on me!!!!

Good question. My opinion? There are plenty:
There's Brooks; we know we are pursuing (to some extent) Beverly, and let's deal with a happy reality: there are always late rising players who other schools don't have room for. Players who were injured their junior year of hs (like OG and Cheaney), players whose team role changes dramatically and only shine thereafter (IMO Franklin playing on ball turned him into an 'on the radar' player).  
And ... some really effective grad transfers, many of whom have graduated early because they are excellent students, and therein have no problem with IU's requirements (Zeisloft and Bielfeldt). -> BTW, just because Fitzner hasn't helped doesn't mean that other grad transfers aren't a good fit. 
So, the pickings are not slim at all; they just may not have the star-power-flash of early signees with a hot stuff Rivals ranking. But I'm far more interested in players that will help IU win games, and I would take a two year Zeisloft over any player outside of the top twenty or so recruits nationally.

Biefieldt really helped us. I truly appreciated his contributions to IU!