Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

OliviaPope40

IU vs OSU 2/10/19

Absolutely.  Couldn't agree more.  But....regardless of what entity created it, as long as he's at Indiana, he really needs to either be part of this team and play the role he should play or get on with his life and leave the team.   The situation at Indiana right now is unacceptable and it was Romeo out of position on that slipped screen back door cut that won the game for OSU.   He was 3-4 feet from where he should have been, and he was too low.  He's where he should be, tat dunk never happens.   He's not helping anything doing what he did and if he's about Romeo and not Indiana, that kills a locker room and a team's chemistry.
I think it was smith but yes romeo is likely not with the program. Remember how crazy we all went when we got him? Never again on my part. Some say dont recruit five stars but when they are in indiana you kind of have too. You cant just ignore TJD and Brooks and let them go to Izzo. It would be bad for our image. Hopefully they just do away with one and done.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Bailey7878 said:

I think it was smith but yes romeo is likely not with the program. Remember how crazy we all went when we got him? Never again on my part. Some say dont recruit five stars but when they are in indiana you kind of have too. You cant just ignore TJD and Brooks and let them go to Izzo. It would be bad for our image. Hopefully they just do away with one and done.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Smith did what he'd been doing the whole game.  He hedged the ball screen to cut off the drive.  When his man slipped it, he had a clear path to the rim because Romeo was in "help" WAY too far toward his man who was in the corner away from the ball.  

The point I heard today which I agreed with 100% was you can't have just one 1 and done guy.   Agree with your assessment.   You have to recruit the 5* in state kids; and Romeo would be just fine if he had better pieces around him and a jump shot.  Another point I heard was he scored so many points driving to the hole against teams that had nobody who could stop him, he developed bad habits...which is true.  In the NBA, he will have that opportunity again because you can't completely help off perimeter guys, and bigs can draw their guy to at least the foul line.  Personally, I'd have liked to see Romeo catch the ball within 15 feet rather than 21-22 feet all the time.

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

Not sure if we are talking about the same play but if we are, I saw it as Justin Smith not staying in front of his man when he cut to the basket off the screen. He was caught out in no man’s land and then jogged back

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think we are....  game tied at 52,...they took a lead on a dunk by Andre Weston (or whatever his last name is)  As I said above, Smith hedged the ball screen  like he had the whole game.  Romeo was out of position in help side....way too far away from the center line/low spot, and had too much ground to cover in order to get there to take a charge or at least challenge the shot so it wasn't a dunk.

Not the case at all.  You guys paint a picture of Dakich that just isn't accurate.  He was exactly right about Romeo today.  No reason for any player to be out of the locker room...in uniform, laughing with his family 10 minutes after a loss.   The autograph hounds can wait.  Family will be there.  If you give a damn, it doesn't happen the way it did happen.  

Come on. He’s been signing autographs since middle school or high school or something. Fans line up expecting it now. He gives a damn.

You’re painting a picture that just isn’t accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Not the case at all.  You guys paint a picture of Dakich that just isn't accurate.  He was exactly right about Romeo today.  No reason for any player to be out of the locker room...in uniform, laughing with his family 10 minutes after a loss.   The autograph hounds can wait.  Family will be there.  If you give a damn, it doesn't happen the way it did happen.  

The point isn't whether or not Romeo should have been out signing autographs it's that Dakich would have taken an opposite position solely to stir the waters.  He's nothing but a huckster for Dan Dakich.

9 hours ago, Old Friend said:

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The point isn't whether or not Romeo should have been out signing autographs it's that Dakich would have taken an opposite position solely to stir the waters.  He's nothing but a huckster for Dan Dakich.

I agree with Old Friend about 99%; the other 1% reserved for the unlikely contingency that the staff sent Romeo go out there to meet the fans (and that would have been a real mistake by the staff), or that Romeo went 40 minutes after the game, not ten:

• If I'm a pissy Justin Smith and already on a barely speaking basis with Romeo, having the one and done player nowhere to be found after an extremely frustrating loss completely exacerbates the situation. That doesn't make Smith any better for team chemistry, but it does give him fodder to complain, which is no bueno.
  • Of course  Dakich is there to stir the pot; he's a talk radio host that 'just maybe' still resents the Archie hire a little bit. When the team is losing and dysfunctional, it is all but a given that the pot-stirrers will flourish.
  • One more thing - having a one and done is certainly not a problem, in fact that kind of talent on the team is a great thing, especially when it's a kid as nice and squared away as Romeo Langford. However, having a one and done presents team chemistry issues that need to be foreshadowed and dealt with well. Or, if mistakes are made, they need to be learned from and not repeated.

8 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Absolutely.  Couldn't agree more.  But....regardless of what entity created it, as long as he's at Indiana, he really needs to either be part of this team and play the role he should play or get on with his life and leave the team.   The situation at Indiana right now is unacceptable and it was Romeo out of position on that slipped screen back door cut that won the game for OSU.   He was 3-4 feet from where he should have been, and he was too low.  He's where he should be, tat dunk never happens.   He's not helping anything doing what he did and if he's about Romeo and not Indiana, that kills a locker room and a team's chemistry.

I re-watched the play a few times. Smith got caught halfway on the screen; that no-man's land where he didn't jump out hard enough to interfere with the pass, and didn't recover hard enough to stay with the screener/cutter when the screen was slipped. AND, Romeo's reaction was just a little too slow to provide weak-side help. 

In other words, whether they want to admit it or not Romeo Langford and Justin Smith were on the same team for that play. :(

6 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Smith did what he'd been doing the whole game.  He hedged the ball screen to cut off the drive.  When his man slipped it, he had a clear path to the rim because Romeo was in "help" WAY too far toward his man who was in the corner away from the ball.  

The point I heard today which I agreed with 100% was you can't have just one 1 and done guy.   Agree with your assessment.   You have to recruit the 5* in state kids; and Romeo would be just fine if he had better pieces around him and a jump shot.  Another point I heard was he scored so many points driving to the hole against teams that had nobody who could stop him, he developed bad habits...which is true.  In the NBA, he will have that opportunity again because you can't completely help off perimeter guys, and bigs can draw their guy to at least the foul line.  Personally, I'd have liked to see Romeo catch the ball within 15 feet rather than 21-22 feet all the time.

I would actually be surprised if he's successful driving to the rim in the NBA. He's not explosive enough to beat NBA guards off the dribble. He can't shoot so guys will be able to sag off of him a bit. He feasted on drives when we played some of the cupcakes but he's really struggled against big ten teams. He's only shooting 43% from the field in conference play, and that's with his 3 pointer going up to 33%.  

9 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Am I the only one who thinks Bruiser Flint is absolutely worthless?   Guy has skirted NCAA trouble a few times and I think all he does is play yes man to Archie and collect a pay check. Was a very mediocre head coach and I just don't know what he brings.  At least Schilling has in-state connections or I'd feel the same about him.  Who's the "x and o" guy on this staff?

Yeah the hire when first announced was shocking. Of course we don't know exactly what his duties are in the game or in practice, but I feel like we could've gotten someone with more ambition or at least with a better track record. 

6 hours ago, Old Friend said:

You are correct that Romeo help position was terrible and a step late but Smith was standing straight up and down. He was not in a defensive stance, if he was he could have hedged hard and still made a play on the slip screen. I blame Romeo more but Smith is just lazy in some of his plays. 

13 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Yeah the hire when first announced was shocking. Of course we don't know exactly what his duties are in the game or in practice, but I feel like we could've gotten someone with more ambition or at least with a better track record. 

If he leaves which I have heard talk of, who takes his place? Mike Lewis since he will be looking for a job or another African American assistant since there would not be one on staff. 

17 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

If he leaves which I have heard talk of, who takes his place? Mike Lewis since he will be looking for a job or another African American assistant since there would not be one on staff. 

Ya think Miles is a goner, eh?

22 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Bring back Calbert or bring in A.J.! ... Just curious -- why would Bruiser leave? Is he not happy? Is Archie not happy with him? ... Not that I'm clamoring for him to stay -- I'm just wondering. ... After getting fired at Drexel, he took a year off before coming to IU, and before that, he was a head coach for 20 years. Has an overall winning record, but only two NCAA bids in those 20 years (and that was pretty much with Calipari's players at UMass). I figure it's gotta be tough to go from the top dog to an assistant after all those years. 

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Bring back Calbert or A.J.! ... Just curious -- why would Bruiser leave? Is he not happy? Is Archie not happy with him? ... Not that I'm clamoring for him to stay -- I'm just wondering. ... After getting fired at Drexel, he took a year off before coming to IU, and before that, he was a head coach for 20 years. Has an overall winning record, but only two NCAA bids in those 20 years (and that was pretty much with Calipari's players at UMass). I always wonder if it's tough to go from the top dog to an assistant after all those years. 

Imagine it would be frustrating if there’s a kid you want to pursue and the HC says no. I have been wondering if that’s why Archie has gone and seen these kids totally out of left field.  If he’s going to see them so he can say no 

10 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Am I the only one who thinks Bruiser Flint is absolutely worthless?   Guy has skirted NCAA trouble a few times and I think all he does is play yes man to Archie and collect a pay check. Was a very mediocre head coach and I just don't know what he brings.  At least Schilling has in-state connections or I'd feel the same about him.  Who's the "x and o" guy on this staff?

I shared my thoughts when he was hired.  Didn't like it then still don't.  Agreed on Schilling.

10 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I honestly don't know who the X's and O's guy is. Feel like a lot of times you can tell in the huddle but it usually seems like Archie leads it if im not mistaken. Ostrom has done a really good job recruiting. Schilling has already made headway in Indiana. Has Flint recruited anybody or was he just brought in to be the mentor/veteran guy that has 20+ years of experience and thats about it. 

19 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Bring back Calbert or bring in A.J.! ... Just curious -- why would Bruiser leave? Is he not happy? Is Archie not happy with him? ... Not that I'm clamoring for him to stay -- I'm just wondering. ... After getting fired at Drexel, he took a year off before coming to IU, and before that, he was a head coach for 20 years. Has an overall winning record, but only two NCAA bids in those 20 years (and that was pretty much with Calipari's players at UMass). I figure it's gotta be tough to go from the top dog to an assistant after all those years. 

Maybe take another head coaching job, mid-major somewhere. 

51 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Lewis brought in.  I'd love to either bring Cheaney back or bring Guyton in in some capacity.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lewis brought in.  I'd love to either bring Cheaney back or bring Guyton in in some capacity.

I would love to see Lewis and Cheaney with the program. I don’t see it ever happening but having Fife with the program would be great too.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app