Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

OliviaPope40

IU vs OSU 2/10/19

5 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I posted my concerns in the offseason about Morgan playing as the lone big for an entire season.  Unfortunately, I was right and going up against the likes of Ward, K. Wesson, Rutgers' bigs, Teske, and other Big Ten's bigs takes a toll as an undersized 5.  It would have helped to have had Davis available but we needed another serviceable big.

He's not the lone big anymore; and the fact that he's having to play as that guy is all on Archie.

I know what Fitzner is and what he isn't, but even a minute or two with Fitzner on the opponent's "big" giving Morgan a break here and there is fine, and Davis is clearly ready for 15-20 minutes every night.   Morgan should under no circumstance have to do what he's doing as a big man for as long as he's doing it.   That's 100% on Archie.

TJD's response to the TKtheLionKing tweet at the bottom

TJD‏ @TrayceJackson 

TJD Retweeted TKtheLionKing

Dont worry we’re not, am I right? @unkle44artty

Armaan's response

Armaan Franklin  2️⃣Retweeted TJD

Hasn’t crossed my mind at al

TKtheLionKing‏ @TylerKuemmerle

Replying to @JeffRabjohns @TrayceJackson @unkle44artty

Hopefully they're not rethinking after watching that

Fighting among ourselves does no good. We're all pissed and we should be. Let's take a step back from the ledge and let this play out. I am amazed how bad this season has gotten and sadly alot of room for it to get worse.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

I guess the good news at least is most of us will have zero expectations of expecting IU to be good next year. I likely wont expect an NCAA berth so it will be a pleasant surprise if we go.Also, i doubt many of us will get as invested or excited in a kids recruitment again like we did with romeo.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, Jesus Shuttlesworth said:

I’m torn.  However the injuries and bad roster is an excuse I’m getting really tired of.  Don’t forget Holtman has had less time on the job and widely regarded worse roster.  Let’s also not forget that Holtman won in AH last year as well.  Any educated fan should be able to see what came out of those timeouts in today’s game.  Combine that with the recruiting class OSU has coming in next year and it pains me to say this that unless something changes Holtman is going to own CAM.  I shouldn’t be surprised that Holtman being 2-0 at AH ...the guy can flat out coach.  It just pisses me off with what we got right now.

Holtman is a solid coach and I think he would have done well at IU.  A few observations from that, he wasn't interested and he walked into a different situation at O$U.  As we saw last season, we're seeing a square peg being jammed into a round hole.  Crean and Archie are different coaches and that will take time.  Holtman's style is close to what Matta ran so the change isn't as drastic.

Smith fits in perfectly with Crean's style of play and philosophy.  I don't think he fits into Archie's system and style.  I honestly believe that at under 6', athletically challenged, and a terrible back I could get into Smith's head enough that he would quit playing in a pick up game.  That's a perfect Crean player.  Run fast, jump higher, and play fast but soft, doesn't understand the GAME of basketball, and isn't mentally strong.  That's not Archie's style and he's struggling to get through it.  I think with time and the right players we'll see a different result.

12 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

He's not the lone big anymore; and the fact that he's having to play as that guy is all on Archie.

I know what Fitzner is and what he isn't, but even a minute or two with Fitzner on the opponent's "big" giving Morgan a break here and there is fine, and Davis is clearly ready for 15-20 minutes every night.   Morgan should under no circumstance have to do what he's doing as a big man for as long as he's doing it.   That's 100% on Archie.

Completely agree, I have no idea why Davis went out with around 3 minutes left in the game and never returned.  We need to see more time with Morgan at the 4 and Davis at the 5.  Teams are getting exactly what they want when Smith shoots a three or starts his drives from outside the arc.  That needs to be fixed yesterday.

32 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

He did. But you never know. Also a lot of the betrayal came from the fact that he left so late that a lot of coaching candidates weren't available since they had already taken other jobs. Not to mention he took Kyle Young with him even though Young was from Ohio. 

I think the comparison hits hard because they were hired the same year with Archie having ties to Ohio and Holtmann having ties to Indiana. In some alternate universe, we hire Holtmann and Archie ends up at OSU.

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

I'd really like to see a new starting lineup next game, but don't see it happening.  I'd like to see a lineup of Phinisee/Durham/Langford/Morgan/Davis maybe we could get off to a good start; although at this point I wouldn't say much if a random person from the stands started in place of Smith.

That’s the lineup I wanted to start the second half.  Instead, as usual, he started the same 5 as the beginning of the game and they got off to the same terrible start In the second half as they did the first half.  Think about that....the poor five minutes at the beginning of each half were a major factor in the loss.

That’s the lineup I wanted to start the second half.  Instead, as usual, he started the same 5 as the beginning of the game and they got off to the same terrible start In the second half as they did the first half.  Think about that....the poor five minutes at the beginning of each half were a major factor in the loss.

Doing the same thing and expecting different results. That’s insanity. I never thought I would see the day when Assembly Hall was a gimme game for the opposition.

I like Archie, but he doesn’t seem to be doing much to help this team win. We just need to keep doing the same things harder isn’t cutting it. OSU played terribly and tried to give us the game, but we still managed to play worse.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

38 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

That's a perfect Crean player.  Run fast, jump higher, and play fast but soft, doesn't understand the GAME of basketball, and isn't mentally strong.  That's not Archie's style and he's struggling to get through it.  I think with time and the right players we'll see a different result.

Crean player, Crean player, Crean player, .......I agree that the two coaches run vastly different defensive systems and would not recruit similar players (at this point I’m not prepared to say Archie has an offensive system) but the “dreaded godawful Crean players” went 9-9 in conference last year. This team is going to do worse. Morgan, Al and De’Ron do not play “fast but soft” as all the Creanies are lumped together.  At some point isn’t it Archie’s job to teach them something?  Reducing the time spent doing the weave is the only adjustment I have seen. Trotting the same five out to start the second half was dumb and was Archie’s decision, not the Crean players decision,  It was Archie’s poor decision to have De Ron ride the pine at the end of the game, when Romeo and Morgan don’t see the ball for the first five minutes of the game it is Archie that does not call a time out to tell the guys to get them the ball or else, etc., etc. 

The issues are far beyond “Crean players”.

29 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

The day that grown adults stop tweeting dumb crap at recruits is the day things will really turn the corner toward perfection. 

In fairness to that guy, he was replying to Rabjohns' tweet so he might not have thought that he was also replying to TJD and Franklin. I agree with you completely, though. 

Not just a “major factor” bud. It was the game.

24-9 OSU in that time. 11-2 first half. 13-7 in 2nd. (3 of those coming in at 15:02)

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm not willing to read any of this and I got a late finish to the game, so my apologies if it was already stated...but, man, Phinisee was wide open beyond the arc on that last possession with time for the pass and shot.  Instead, it was taken by someone else with four men guarding.

Crean player, Crean player, Crean player, .......I agree that the two coaches run vastly different defensive systems and would not recruit similar players (at this point I’m not prepared to say Archie has an offensive system) but the “dreaded godawful Crean players” went 9-9 in conference last year. This team is going to do worse. Morgan, Al and De’Ron do not play “fast but soft” as all the Creanies are lumped together.  At some point isn’t it Archie’s job to teach them something?  Reducing the time spent doing the weave is the only adjustment I have seen. Trotting the same five out to start the second half was dumb and was Archie’s decision, not the Crean players decision,  It was Archie’s poor decision to have De Ron ride the pine at the end of the game, when Romeo and Morgan don’t see the ball for the first five minutes of the game it is Archie that does not call a time out to tell the guys to get them the ball or else, etc., etc. 
The issues are far beyond “Crean players”.

Absolutely, I’ve posted those same issues and would like to see them change. Archie needs to be better. We’re basically starting each game in a deficit because Smith thinks he’s the focus of the offense. Archie should call a timeout and rip into him. The players should also get on him and each other for playing poorly. What do they do? Nothing, they don’t seem to know or even care that it’s costing them games and their season. Ditto for Archie. It’s maddening to watch, knowing that they’ll only play hard for a bit, smart for a bit, and not give a damn. It must be even worse trying to coach that.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app