Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

OliviaPope40

IU vs OSU 2/10/19

22 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I think people just blame Green regardless of how he plays because he's an easy target. He's the backup point guard. 10/3/2 and 40% from 3 is good production for a backup point guard, especially in a 55-52 game. For the talks about his turnovers it's important to remember that we had to burn our last timeout because Phinisee couldn't get the ball in bounds. Morgan had 3 points on 1-7 shooting. Durham had 2 points and only took 2 shots. How can you put the blame all on him when he was one of the few players who came to play. I can imagine the posts had Green had Phinisee's statline and forced us to burn our last timeout. 

I know you don't agree so I'll just answer.  We can discuss or you can disagree....doesn't matter.  There's a "why" to all of this and I'll just explain my viewpoint of it.  You can respond however you'd like.

Morgan's game had a lot more to do with his having to guard a 6'9" 270 pound guy for 25-30 seconds on every defensive possession than anything.  Well, that and our early possessions not focusing on him.  He was clearly exhausted and being tired AND being doubled on the block by at least 1 player bigger than you are is a recipe for a game like that.  Davis should have been in the game WITH Morgan more than he was.   Especially because OSU was leaving Smith basically all alone to double Morgan or at least take the post away.  So I blame Morgan's bad game on those factors.   And I blame Archie for leaving Smith out there instead of Davis or even Fitzner.  Heck, Fitzner probably makes at least ONE more 3 if left as open as Smith was.  My point is there is a "why" to Morgan's bad game and it's not "Morgan was bad."

Green was credited for 2 TO's.  He was responsible for at least 4.  Bad passes not caught are Green's turnovers, not the receiver's....regardless of what official stats say.

He took at least 3 bad shots today; one an airball early in the shot clock and at least one more than led directly to points on the other end.

Green's problems are consistent.  For 3 seasons.  Nobody is putting "all" the blame on him; but how can YOU ignore his staring down Morgan, then throwing the ball at his feet (turnover) with the game tied at 47?   Did you not see the airball?  Are you ignoring the last possession when he didn't even try to get something better than what he threw up?

Phinisee's been off since his concussion.  I have no explanation.   But here's the thing....  His A:TO ratio is still better than 2:1.  Green's is still 1:1 after 3 seasons.   I also don't get why you blame Phinisee for "not being able to get the ball inbounds?"   Tell me who he missed.  Who was he supposed to throw it to?  You're questioning everyone else for blaming Green.  How can you then blame Phinisee for that??    

Durham's game baffles me too.  

Green and Smith get 16 shots between them in 48 minutes combined.  Morgan and Durham get 9 shots between them in 64 minutes combined.  That baffles me.  Idiotic if you ask me.  Because you're right.  Green is the backup point guard.  Which means he should NOT try to do more than he's being asked to do, but he DOES try almost every game and it hasn't exactly gone well.  That's why he gets blamed.  Not like this was the first time he's made boneheaded plays or taken horrible shots which have cost his team.

Does anybody think JS will transfer next yr? He obviously doesn't care and u can see it in his game.

I’m not sure he cares enough to go through the process of transferring... He might lose the paperwork on the way to get the signatures needed to transfer. He could probably jump up the stairs at the Union though!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, Free Jurkin! said:

+/- is just a measure of how the team performs when a guy is on the floor. It's a statistical fact that the team played best today when Green was on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t care if his plus/minus was a record setting 4 million. He killed us at the end with the terrible pass/turnover and he was going to go “hero” from the get-go on the last possession. Those were virtually the worst things that could have happened and they were done by a junior PG (I.e the position you would hope you could trust the most in crunch time). 

I see you missed that he once again led the team in turnovers and once again had multiple plays (missed defensive assignments, stupid shots) that didn't count as turnovers but hurt the team just as much.

If he hurt the team so much, how did he lead the team in +/-? If he made as many bad plays as you seem to remember, it's strange that we outscored OSU when he was on the floor, but got outscored when he was off. I'm not even necessarily saying that he was good today, although I think he was pretty solid (he had 2 TOs, so yeah he led the team -tied for the lead actually- but 2 is not bad). But he was less had than the other options. Rob and Al were bad today. But Green is show still the one who is responsible for the loss... IU fans hate Green for some reason, and then they magnify every mistake. The reality is that he's a decent reserve guard, and he played like a pretty good reserve today, and the stats bear it out.

I don’t care if his plus/minus was a record setting 4 million. He killed us at the end with the terrible pass/turnover and he was going to go “hero” from the get-go on the last possession. Those were virtually the worst things that could have happened and they were done by a junior PG (I.e the position you would hope you could trust the most in crunch time). 

He had a bad TO. He and Romeo were also the reason we were in the game at the end. I'm not sure he was planning to go hero ball at the end. Juwan and Romeo stupidly brought their defenders to him which left him no choice. Romeo went hero ball on a 3 the possession before, which is a much worse play. Green is at least a decent shooter. Romeo is a better player, but a terrible shopter

Give me Durham, Phin, Davis, and the rest of the freshmen and start over. We have too many of the “well I guess I’ll give a little effort now” guys on this team. Archie is a competitor but it looks like his team is the opposite. We need more dawgs and less .... on this team.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app
So does that mean year three is year one like on the fred glass honeymoon scale.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Et tu Brute? You've been one of, if not the, biggest Archie supporters. Doubting things now?

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

Just because one criticizes doesn’t mean he’s jumped off the bandwagon. Blind supporters aren’t rational

Freaking gag me.
We are such a joke.  Fans don't care, players don't care, and coach doesn't know how the hell to fix this.
Indiana is such an also-ran in terms of sports.  Athletics don't mean anything to this administration, except for the fact it's run in the black and things are done "the right way".  Bonus points for promoting the whole "24 sports, 1 team" bullsh1t mantra.
Honestly it would not matter even if we fired archie. Fred would just make another horrible hire. Lets face it we very likely will be an average at best btt forever.

9 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Green and Smith get 16 shots between them in 48 minutes combined.  Morgan and Durham get 9 shots between them in 64 minutes combined.  That baffles me.  Idiotic if you ask me.  Because you're right.  Green is the backup point guard.  Which means he should NOT try to do more than he's being asked to do, but he DOES try almost every game and it hasn't exactly gone well.  That's why he gets blamed.  Not like this was the first time he's made boneheaded plays or taken horrible shots which have cost his team.

And this is something that has bothered me all season - shot allocation.  As Knight used to preach, you get your best shooters most of the shots.  I don't know if it's the cause or effect of poor shooting, but it seems like every player feels he has the green light at any time. I think it's also a direct result of our awful spacing and movement on offense.

1 minute ago, Bailey7878 said:

I was told archie was the only guy surfer fred went after. Did not even talk to mack.

The problem is there are to many rumors about what happened in the coaching search and everyone is dead set that what they were told is what really happened. The problem is there are numerous stories about what happened that led to IU hiring CAM. 

Just think of  how bad we played and yet we still could have won. Just a slight bit of improvement and we would have at least 2-3 more BT wins. That is what’s so frustrating.
We have seval chances down the strech and blew them.

The problem is there are to many rumors about what happened in the coaching search and everyone is dead set that what they were told is what really happened. The problem is there are numerous stories about what happened that led to IU hiring CAM. 

And the facts are that there were only a handful of hires that were realistic and made sense, with Archie up in that first tier.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The problem is with this IU team is that they are undersized most nights, can't shoot, lack heart and hustle, Romeo isn't what he was made out to be (not entirely his fault), coaching staff has been out coached in numerous games, and the biggest issue is the players on this team outside of 2 or 3 are just very dumb basketball players when it comes to making decisions. None of that is good recipe for success.