Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

OliviaPope40

IUBB @ MSU- Game Thread

For as aggravating as Smith was at times, he had a pretty big game with a double double.  13 points, 10 rebounds with 3 blocks and 2 assists for good measure.  Morgan was well on his way to another double double, he had 5 points and 6 boards.

Forrester didn't play a lot of minutes, but contributed 2 points, 4 boards and a block.

Great game overall.

1 hour ago, jbell833 said:

Do we play better without Morgan??? Maybe we play better team ball and don't try to force it down low every possession. Did Crean ever win at MSU?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

My answer is, no, they do not. 

Indiana was in this game from the start (even while Juwan was playing).  He had 5 points, 6 rebounds, and two assists in 13 minutes.  The team as a whole just played better from start to finish than they have in a long while.  The team blocked out (48 rebounds) and chased down loose balls.  The team knocked down shots from outside (50%).  The team played better defense and limited turnovers (only 13).  I don't believe the improved play was because Juwan had to leave the game prematurely.  Perhaps the team rallied a bit more because of his injury, but either way, they played hard and with a different energy from the start than we've been seeing.  And, as relieved I am to say that, it irritates me and makes me wonder how many of the losses could have been victories had the team played with this same fire in their guts all season.  

Whatever the reason, whether they felt a desperation to get a win or because the coaching staff was finally able to light a fire under their *sses, they won with a strong effort and a lot of energy.  If the latter, then I hope their *sses aren't allowed to cool off any.

1 hour ago, schoosier said:

Yes 3 big ones at the end. I haven’t seen his minutes but he played a lot just coming back. His play along with us hitting some big 3s, rebounding and Mich St awful free throw shooting was the difference. 

12 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists and 1 block in 25 minutes.

My answer is, no, they do not. 
Indiana was in this game from the start (even while Juwan was playing).  He had 5 points, 6 rebounds, and two assists in 13 minutes.  The team as a whole just played better from start to finish than they have in a long while.  The team blocked out (48 rebounds) and chased down loose balls.  The team knocked down shots from outside (50%).  The team played better defense and limited turnovers (only 13).  I don't believe the improved play was because Juwan had to leave the game prematurely.  Perhaps the team rallied a bit more because of his injury, but either way, they played hard and with a different energy from the start than we've been seeing.  And, as relieved I am to say that, it irritates me and makes me wonder how many of the losses could have been victories had the team played with this same fire in their guts all season.  
Whatever the reason, whether they felt a desperation to get a win or because the coaching staff was finally able to light a fire under their *sses, they won with a strong effort and a lot of energy.  If the latter, then I hope their *sses aren't allowed to cool off any.

This is where I’m at. If we would have seen this effort for whole games we could have easily been 7-4 in conference rather than 4-7. I hope this team doesn’t believe that they should win just because they play hard but that you play hard to have a chance to win. There are opportunities to go in the right direction but there needs to be consistent effort.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Do we play better without Morgan??? Maybe we play better team ball and don't try to force it down low every possession. Did Crean ever win at MSU?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
Again, watched most of the game while making dough bartending (over 300 in tips on an 1100 dollar bar....) Deliberately scrolled back to quote this. Saw in the horrid Facebook page the same thing. Not saying anything against you jbell, but the hate shown towards Morgan on that page was insane. Just plain stupid. Morgan goes the whole game? It's over in regulation. On the page they're suggesting HE'S the problem in the locker room. Sorry. Not buying it. Had a good crowd at the Shrine bar for the end with several rounds of shots bought after!

Sent from my SM-G965U using BtownBanners mobile app

This is where I’m at. If we would have seen this effort for whole games we could have easily been 7-4 in conference rather than 4-7. I hope this team doesn’t believe that they should win just because they play hard but that you play hard to have a chance to win. There are opportunities to go in the right direction but there needs to be consistent effort.

We need the next two at home and the ncaa could still hapen but we gotta hold iowa down. They can score.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

I wonder: Does Izzo still have a burr up his butt that his pal Crean got fired?

Yes, only because his hand picked replacement whom he regularly destroyed no longer coaches at Indiana. Izzo did say IU deserved to win albeit took most of his presser to say it. He also said it was his fault for the team not being prepared and that they had a bad week of practice. His mentor always had a difficult time saying that first part. Obviously, he was very subdued; but I can’t help but feel he knows Indiana is on our way back. Recruiting is the key and keeping KB home and other Hoosier greats from playing at MSU really hurts his program.

Green hit some big shots, but he should NEVER be the primary ball handler.

Agreed that it's not ideal, but in a game where Phinisee isn't giving you anything, I'm not sure we've got a better option. Green and Durham needed to be playing over him. Romeo makes just as many head scratching decisions, and Al is just not a good enough ball handler to consistently deal with the defensive pressure.

He wasn't recruited as a PG, and it's pretty clear why. He has some PG skills and probably has the best court vision on the team, but he's too loose with the ball at times. He actually made the right decision on that step through, but was just too careless about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to spoil their Espn Game Day fest! Cheery on the cheesecake
Way to go HOOSIERS!!!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I read somewhere that IU is 3-0 on College Gamedays. That can’t be accurate can it? I remember the one against Michigan at home but what was the other one?

I read somewhere that IU is 3-0 on College Gamedays. That can’t be accurate can it? I remember the one against Michigan at home but what was the other one?

Michigan St 2008

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app