Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

LamarCheeks

The one that got away ...

BTN is doing a little bit of reminiscing about our 1993 team. It's a Flashback Friday thing and discusses if we would've won Banner No. 6 had Alan Henderson not gotten hurt. I say: No doubt about it. We nearly ran the table in the B1G and IMO, had the best team in the country. Even with Alan injured and very limited, we still reached the Elite Eight. And though we lost to Kansas earlier in the season, we would've beaten them this time. So my question: Which "one that got away" is most painful -- 1975 or 1993? I was a little too young to remember 1975, but vividly remember 1993 -- that was two years after I graduated and I was sure we were gonna win it all. I didn't include 2013 (bad coaching) or 1992 (bad officiating vs. Duke) or 2002 (lost final to Maryland), but I suppose you can include/discuss those -- and others -- if you wish. 

There is no doubt in my mind that injuries have cost Indiana 2 more banners.  1975 and 1993.   Indiana was easily the best team in the country both years.  I had a conversation once w Bill Benner (who is a complete idiot and one of the most un-necessarily arrogant people I have ever met) who said Bob Knight won 3 titles and blew two more....which I found laughable.   I countered he had the best team in the country and he said it didn't matter because Indiana didn't finish the deal.   That guy is a bad representation of Indiana journalism all because Knight spilled coffee on him once.  =)

Born in 75, swayed by my childhood best friend to be a Purdue fan until 89 (so I technically didn’t appreciate 87), saw the light after that, mainly because I idolized Bailey.  Broken hearted in 93, absolutely the one that got away in my lifetime.  That team was so good and so deep.  Haven’t enjoyed very many seasons since.  At least as a lifelong  Reds fan they won the WS in 90, and the Colts in 06.  Other than that, my wife thinks I’ve wasted a lot of years yelling at the TV.....

The '75 team was the best team I ever saw, so they are #1 on my list.  I also wonder how '74 might have played out if they got into the tournament.  '93 and '83 were tough ones for sure.  But so was '80.

2 hours ago, Rico said:

The '75 team was the best team I ever saw, so they are #1 on my list.  I also wonder how '74 might have played out if they got into the tournament.  '93 and '83 were tough ones for sure.  But so was '80.

I was about to bring up 80 also.

Woodies back injury.

11 hours ago, Woodson1980 said:

I was about to bring up 80 also.

Woodies back injury.

Woodson came back.  He was the the Big Ten's MVP.......but they didn't have Wittman.  IIRC.

We can't forget the '73 Final Four against UCLA... Steve Downing and Bill Walton. That foul that should have gone against Walton but went to Downing changed the outcome of that game... and UCLA went on to beat Memphis State in the championship game. That was RMK's first Final Four...

26 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

We can't forget the '73 Final Four against UCLA... Steve Downing and Bill Walton. That foul that should have gone against Walton but went to Downing changed the outcome of that game... and UCLA went on to beat Memphis State in the championship game. That was RMK's first Final Four...

Horrible call against Downing. That was the team that showed the promise of the Knight era. Honestly, I was more disappointed in what happened in '74. Lost a regular season game to Michigan, I think, after having a 15 point or so lead at the half. That created a tie for the conference championship which forced a play-off game with the Wolverhampton which we also lost. Very disappointing ending to a promising season. Since only the conference champion made the tournament, we ended up a conference runners-up tourney, which we won. That set the table for the great 1975, 1976 teams. And, as they say, the rest is history.

If you really sit and look at it....we could have had 4 in a row.  '73, '74, '75, '76.  I feel we could have had another 4 in row with '80, '81, '82, and '83.  Coulda, woulda, should of.

Hard to choose between 75 and 93 for different reasons. Man, would have loved to have seen Calbert, Damon and Alan cut nets. Total heartbreaker.

Hard to believe the missed potential banners due to injuries in our past. Suddenly this post made me uncomfortable....

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

On 2/1/2019 at 3:57 PM, southsidehoosier said:

I was 8 yo in 1993 and I still remember crying the night IU lost to Ohio State in the regular season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Don't feel feel bad lol. I was 27 y/o that season. I can remember going nuts in my living room when they beat the fab five in Ann Arbor. The day I found out that Alan got hurt I felt like going in the bathroom and puking then I just wanted to go in my living room and cry. I knew they wouldn't win it all without him. Felt like Tv Teddy stole it from them the previous year. My lord that brings back bittersweet memories. My daughter was born the following January... my son three years later... they both had birthdays this last week... they're in their 20's... damn! I'm getting old! Lot of frustration the last 25 years. Archie needs to get this s**t headed in the right direction so I can root for a winner in my golden years lol.