Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Rico

blue blood vs. elite

Curious as to what you guys define them as.  

Blood blood to me is a program who has won championships in multiple decades and ranks among the top in national championships, conference championships, wins, and fan bases that never leave the program. Elite is the current state of basketball with competing for conference and national championships.

IU is a blue blood but isn’t elite. I believe Michigan has replaced IU in the Big Ten (along with Michigan State). If IU were to win the conference and make a Final Four in the next few years I still wouldn’t consider us elite unless we’re able to repeat it a few years later.

Blue bloods: UCLA, puke, Dook, U of No Classes, Kansas, IU
Elite: Dook, U of No Classes, Villanova, puke, MSU, Michigan, Kansas, and Gonzaga

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Blood blood to me is a program who has won championships in multiple decades and ranks among the top in national championships, conference championships, wins, and fan bases that never leave the program. Elite is the current state of basketball with competing for conference and national championships.

IU is a blue blood but isn’t elite. I believe Michigan has replaced IU in the Big Ten (along with Michigan State). If IU were to win the conference and make a Final Four in the next few years I still wouldn’t consider us elite unless we’re able to repeat it a few years later.

Elite: Dook, U of No Classes, Villanova, puke, MSU, Michigan, Kansas, and Gonzaga

Great take.  And one I agree with.

Sometimes I sit back and look at my lifetime.  Just looking at the teams that have fallen off the map.  And teams that have popped onto the map.

13 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Go ahead and shut the thread down. This sums it up perfectly.

Kind of funny when I look back...wth happened to UNLV, Marquette, DePaul, and San Francisco?  Heck, you could throw Notre Dame in there as well.

Kind of funny when I look back...wth happened to UNLV, Marquette, DePaul, and San Francisco?  Heck, you could throw Notre Dame in there as well.

And Florida, Syracuse, UConn, Gtown, Arkansas, and Arizona. Some really good teams over the years, but not able to maintain over longer stretches. Closest on that list is UCONN imo.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

17 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

And Florida, Syracuse, UConn, Gtown, Arkansas, and Arizona. Some really good teams over the years, but not able to maintain over longer stretches. Closest on that list is UCONN imo.

Arizona is right on that bubble of elite to me.  They have been at the top of the PAC 12 and have several Elite 8s but haven't been able to get to a Final Four.  If one of their Elite 8s would have been a Final Four I think I would have included them in this list.  They've definitely been able to get elite talent but haven't capitalized on it in the tourney to be in that elite category.

Arizona is right on that bubble of elite to me.  They have been at the top of the PAC 12 and have several Elite 8s but haven't been able to get to a Final Four.  If one of their Elite 8s would have been a Final Four I think I would have included them in this list.  They've definitely been able to get elite talent but haven't capitalized on it in the tourney to be in that elite category.

They won one in the late 90s didn’t they? I thought they did with Miles Simon and Bibby. Don’t hold me to that. But I agree with the modern version and they shouldn’t have been on there cause I think that late 90s run was short lived.

3 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

They won one in the late 90s didn’t they? I thought they did with Miles Simon and Bibby. Don’t hold me to that. But I agree with the modern version and they shouldn’t have been on there cause I think that late 90s run was short lived.

Yep, beat UK, or pUKe could've had a three-peat.

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

Yes, they did win one with Lute Olsen as coach.  It was the late 90s, 97 or 98 I believe.  I was thinking more recently under Sean Miller though.  I said it a few years ago that a team out West should be absolutely dominating the PAC 12 because of all the talent you could get.  Arizona has gotten a lot of that talent, UCLA has gotten a lot of that talent, and Oregon has gotten a lot of that talent but they haven't capitalized on it. 

Blue blood and elite historical program.  Team not so much for most of the last several years.   

History and tradition matters.  Always will.  Indiana has it and will for a long time as a university and as a state.  They did not make a movie called "Gophers."

20 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Blue blood and elite historical program.  Team not so much for most of the last several years.   

History and tradition matters.  Always will.  Indiana has it and will for a long time as a university and as a state.  They did not make a movie called "Gophers."

time matters though. how many people think of Princeton as football giants based on their early domination of CFB?