Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

You don’t need three seasons to rebuild a program like IU unless there are serious administrative hurdles to competing on an even playing field. Archie didn’t know what he was getting into when he came here until he saw the quality of the facilities and the penny pinching that went on behind the scenes.

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holtmann was't "scared to go for the IU job." He was waiting for a better job and he got it at Ohio State. Ohio State has been a better program than Indiana the past decade.

Fred hired Archie because Archie was the only coach of any stature whatsoever interested in the job.

Are the coaching search threads still on this board? I don't feel like digging them up, but I'm honestly curious how many people wanted Holtmann in March of 2017. I don't remember his name coming up very often during the search, if at all. It seems many suddenly wanted him after OSU took him and he started having success. Maybe my memory sucks, I don't know, but that's what I remember. 

Are the coaching search threads still on this board? I don't feel like digging them up, but I'm honestly curious how many people wanted Holtmann in March of 2017. I don't remember his name coming up very often during the search, if at all. It seems many suddenly wanted him after OSU took him and he started having success. Maybe my memory sucks, I don't know, but that's what I remember. 

I remember saying that I wasn’t sure if Holtmann was good at butler because of the afterglow of Stevens, or if he was the real deal and the only way to know was through an interview. I remember stating his name as well as others to explore.

There was a podcast with a CBB expert. Can’t remember who. But he said that in March of 17 there were or at least should of been 3 realistic candidates. Holtmann, Mack, and Archie. He said he thought Mack would be the best at IU, Followed by Holtmann and then Archie.

Anyone on the board have inside info on if Holtmann was vetted? Or the process of why we landed on Archie?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Holtmann was't "scared to go for the IU job." He was waiting for a better job and he got it at Ohio State. Ohio State has been a better program than Indiana the past decade.
Fred hired Archie because Archie was the only coach of any stature whatsoever interested in the job.

Didn’t want to coach in that fishbowl of a job is what he told Snow at lunch. Keep in mind that was before the job was actually open and told him that as friends out to lunch. He has told this many times on podcasts and on the forum. Now if you want to believe that he was waiting on a better job then that’s your right. Keep in mind he turned down that better job the first go around to stay at Butler. Ohio St moved on and offered job to McDurmott. They couldn’t agree on terms and mcDurmott stayed at Creighton. Holtmann is a great coach that I’ve said in the past before it was cool to say he was a savior of a coach. He is in the perfect position at Ohio St if he is worried about a fish bowl of a place. They dude went 8-12 in the B1G last year and lost 14 of his last 22 games and people at Ohio St could give 2 craps about that because they were probably waiting on spring football. I can only imagine how that would of went over if that was the coach at IU. Maybe expectations have changed and people would of been happy with that record and a second round loss

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Didn’t want to coach in that fishbowl of a job is what he told Snow at lunch. Keep in mind that was before the job was actually open and told him that as friends out to lunch. He has told this many times on podcasts and on the forum. Now if you want to believe that he was waiting on a better job then that’s your right. Keep in mind he turned down that better job the first go around to stay at Butler. Ohio St moved on and offered job to McDurmott. They couldn’t agree on terms and mcDurmott stayed at Creighton. Holtmann is a great coach that I’ve said in the past before it was cool to say he was a savior of a coach. He is in the perfect position at Ohio St if he is worried about a fish bowl of a place. They dude went 8-12 in the B1G last year and lost 14 of his last 22 games and people at Ohio St could give 2 craps about that because they were probably waiting on spring football. I can only imagine how that would of went over if that was the coach at IU. Maybe expectations have changed and people would of been happy with that record and a second round loss

Made the tournament both years and has a top 10 team this year. We might not be happy but we would probably be less disappointed 

Made the tournament both years and has a top 10 team this year. We might not be happy but we would probably be less disappointed 

If he was stated as saying he doesn’t want to coach in a fishbowl of a place where do you think he should of coached? Seems to me he is coaching in the perfect spot. Plus it was also stated that his loyalty to Butler would of been very difficult for him to take another job in the state of Indiana

54 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Wanted him before 2017

5 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Wanted him before 2017

But I was told he was too young and couldnt recruit at this level by many on this board. But honestly I was told by Dan Howard (Matts older brother) no way would he come to IU. Howards are still tight with Holtmann and are at OSU quite often.

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Maybe you did but in the Archie Miller poll done after the hire you said you lived in the Dayton area and said Archie was best available after Stevens and Donavan

OPE

Keep in mind at the time of his hire Archie was 7 years younger then Holtmann and 8 years younger then Mack and was the only one Of those coaches that had coached in an elite 8 game

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Keep in mind at the time of his hire Archie was 7 years younger then Holtmann and 8 years younger then Mack and was the only one Of those coaches that had coached in an elite 8 game

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This is a good point. I tended to prefer Holtmann because a friends son had played for him but even then it was a toss up.

You don’t need three seasons to rebuild a program like IU unless there are serious administrative hurdles to competing on an even playing field. Archie didn’t know what he was getting into when he came here until he saw the quality of the facilities and the penny pinching that went on behind the scenes.
Glad to see posting again. Too bad it's only when they lose

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Glad to see posting again. Too bad it's only when they lose

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I see people saying this all the time but is there actually any proof that it happens? I see Gradman posting win or lose.