Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

34 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Football is the priority occupant at Northwestern’s new facility. And the football specific parts of the building are much nicer than what IU offers.

Not unlike football being the priority in IUs weight room.  I'm far from the most positive poster on the board, but the bolded is pretty inconsistent logic.

Okay, help me.   I need to make sure I have this right.

* Illinois football is bad.  In far worse shape than Indiana.  That cannot be argued at the moment.  But we're using them as a comparison that means we should fire both our coaches in football AND  basketball, along with our athletic director.

* Illinois hired a "big name" who has a record of 11-31 in his tenure there.   Yet he's somehow better than Tom Allen.......

* Who was a DC at Ole Miss where he turned around a defense ranked last in FBS to one of the better ones in several categories.  Who was DC at South Florida where his defense ranked #1 in its conference.  Who turned around Indiana's defense in a single season, but many b*tched that we hired a high school coach (never mind that many schools hire successful coordinators as their coach...I don't remember those people b*tching when we hired Wilson...who was a successful OC with zero head coaching experience).... I digress.

* Illinois has a bowling alley and a slide (a slide....) in its football facility, which is supposed to mean something for the future, and we're comparing Indiana dis-favorably to Illinois because of it?   

* Yet the positive things that are happening in our program and in our basketball program which indicate a more positive future are ignored so we can fire OUR coaches?  (this one's important....I need to understand whether or not the positives at Indiana are even noticed. My guess for some is "no.")

*  If Indiana adds a teeter totter, a 4-square court, and a merry go round; and maybe a sand volleyball pit or tether-ball, it will mean we're keeping up with the Jones's?

*  Indiana needs everything every other school has, or we're not providing enough "amenities."  

That about the size of it?

Okay, help me.   I need to make sure I have this right.

* Illinois football is bad.  In far worse shape than Indiana.  That cannot be argued at the moment.  But we're using them as a comparison that means we should fire both our coaches in football AND  basketball, along with our athletic director.

* Illinois hired a "big name" who has a record of 11-31 in his tenure there.   Yet he's somehow better than Tom Allen.......

* Who was a DC at Ole Miss where he turned around a defense ranked last in FBS to one of the better ones in several categories.  Who was DC at South Florida where his defense ranked #1 in its conference.  Who turned around Indiana's defense in a single season, but many b*tched that we hired a high school coach (never mind that many schools hire successful coordinators as their coach...I don't remember those people b*tching when we hired Wilson...who was a successful OC with zero head coaching experience).... I digress.

* Illinois has a bowling alley and a slide (a slide....) in its football facility, which is supposed to mean something for the future, and we're comparing Indiana dis-favorably to Illinois because of it?   

* Yet the positive things that are happening in our program and in our basketball program which indicate a more positive future are ignored so we can fire OUR coaches?  (this one's important....I need to understand whether or not the positives at Indiana are even noticed. My guess for some is "no.")

*  If Indiana adds a teeter totter, a 4-square court, and a merry go round; and maybe a sand volleyball pit or tether-ball, it will mean we're keeping up with the Jones's?

*  Indiana needs everything every other school has, or we're not providing enough "amenities."  

That about the size of it?

Have to keep up with the Jones

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, RatpigHoosier said:

A slide? If Glass attempted to put a slide in our football facility he would be eviscerated for putting children’s playground equipment in an adult area. 

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

You know that (insert mild putdown du jour here) would be the first one going down the slide to show he's hip.

The level of overall luxury comes to mind and the size of the players’ lounge. The film rooms are much nicer and larger. Illinois’ new facility has a bowling alley. Clemson has a slide, basketball courts, fire pit, and horseshoe set up. IU offers none of those amenities, just the bare minimum.

Hold up. This is all about a bowling alley and slides on a playground?

5 hours ago, Iugradman said:

Clemson has a slide, basketball courts, fire pit, and horseshoe set up. IU offers none of those amenities, just the bare minimum.

I’m pretty sure that football players at IU have NO trouble finding a suitable basketball court.

However, they’re likely sick and tired of even the mention of basketball.

17 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Yeah, let’s mock the facilities of the best college football program in the country that has won two of the last three championships. IU should go the bare minimum approach because that has worked so well.

If IU wants to win at a high level maybe it should emulate the top programs. Just a thought.

As for Illinois, I applaud the effort they have put into winning. They have made a clear financial commitment to the program, something IU still doesn’t do at an acceptable level. How many serious programs would hire Kane Wommack as defensive coordinator? He came cheap. That’s why he got the job. Clemson’s DC makes more than Tom Allen.

Care to share the numbers of the clear financial commitment?

And, how is that paying off?

"It’s Year 4. After a 40-17 loss Saturday at Minnesota, the Illini are 11-30 overall and 4-25 in Big Ten games on Smith’s watch."

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/10/6/20901448/lovie-smith-illinois-college-football-experiment-isnt-working

On 10/12/2019 at 10:29 PM, MikeRoberts said:

I don’t even know what people are arguing about anymore. We all know that sports aren’t the priority at IU like it is at some schools. You can blame glass, you can blame mcrobbie or both but we don’t and some are ok with that and some aren’t.

Under these two the basketball program has sucked and football program has sucked. Not much argument to the contrary.

One can argue that both are trending up but again, that is still tbd and all we know is history and glass and mcrobbie have been wildly unsuccessful with these two programs.

It is crazy to ignore their history here and that alone is enough to be skeptical that this all works out well for us in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Glass is so bad at his job that people openly admit that at this point it's his bosses fault for not firing the guy or holding him accountable. 

Glass is so bad at his job that people openly admit that at this point it's his bosses fault for not firing the guy or holding him accountable. 

Nah I think you are twisting what people are saying. They wouldn’t want him to choose the next AD if it were to happen. Kind of like you guys don’t want Fred Glass selecting another coach if he has to fire another coach. Wee bit different than your interpretation.

Edit: There are many reasons beyond Glass people want McRobbie gone. Oversimplification of this does nothing really. If you want an Athletic Department with more of a focus on winning you would want change higher up too. It has more to do with an attitude or approach to everything. We don’t McRobbie explicitly gone due to our programs not winning like they should.

1 hour ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I'm not sure it's his boss's fault for not holding him accountable as much as that he doesn't care or is happy with where they are. I've heard many say that Glass has to fight tooth and nail for everything he gets. McRobbie doesn't see the value productive sports teams give to the University.

2 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Nah I think you are twisting what people are saying. They wouldn’t want him to choose the next AD if it were to happen. Kind of like you guys don’t want Fred Glass selecting another coach if he has to fire another coach. Wee bit different than your interpretation.

Edit: There are many reasons beyond Glass people want McRobbie gone. Oversimplification of this does nothing really. If you want an Athletic Department with more of a focus on winning you would want change higher up too. It has more to do with an attitude or approach to everything. We don’t McRobbie explicitly gone due to our programs not winning like they should.

Ah, gotcha. 

13 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Say the following scenario plays out over the next few months: IU football makes a bowl game (already happened) while basketball misses the NCAA tournament for the fourth season in a row. Does the heat on Glass grow? Does football winning possibly 7-8 games keep the fanbase and boosters happy?

Fred Glass always finds a way...