Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Texas Tech sucked. Indiana sucks. Texas Tech went out and got their guy. Indiana settled for the guy who probably told Glass his khakis were nice. Indiana could have went out and got what they considered to be “their guy.” But they didn’t. They settled. Beard didn’t have to say yes to TTU. TTU didn’t have to go after him. TTU didn’t settle just because Beard had just signed another contract at a program that could have easily been viewed as better. The point of the comparison is that TTU sucked and didn’t settle. The comparison isn’t about the lives of Beard and Allen.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

There is no comparison between the two. Different lives. Different sport. Different background. Different experiences at the school that hired them. Comparing our football program to their basketball program and widely painting a you suck across is a disservice to their program. You picked a random person. It was the wrong person to pick. That is not a comparison. The higher level point I am trying to make is you do this all of the time and expect people to take you seriously. In between your Khakis line and not knowing the Tubby Smith situation you are comical. Tubby Smith left Tech for Memphis after winning Sporting News Coach of the Year award in 2016 as well as Big 12 Coach of the year. But yeah they REALLY SUCKED and had to go out and get their guy to turn it around.

You say random **** like marijuana in the thread about California allowing athletes to make money on their likeness. Not even remotely close in theory and that’s how you jump into threads. One is still on USADA tests as being performance enhancing (but discussions are underway to take it off at various levels of testing). The other is a player getting paid. It isn’t illegal for a player to smoke weed in a state that’s legal. It’s an issue when he fails the drug test. A player can show up on Instagram smoking a joint and the NCAA can’t do anything unless he fails a test. If the same player shows up on Instagram with a booster handing over money that’s it right there. Completely different.

5 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

Joe, you do realize Chris Beard was the top assistant at Texas Tech for 10 seasons (2001-2011)? it is not like he had no connections to TTU. A lot easier for TTU to bring him back than just to go out and throw money at him. 

They could have not gone after Chris Beard. They could have said "He has a job, why would he leave" and done nothing. 

Fred Glass in both 2010 and 2011: "Why would IU go after Brad Stevens, he has a job, and IU has a coach!"

Fred Glass in 2018 and 2019: "Why would IU go after Chris Beard, he has a job and IU has a coach!"

Fred Glass in 2028 after missing the tournament 13 times in 20 years : "Why would IU go after the next hottest coach, he has a job and IU has a coach!"

Fred Glass in both 2010 and 2011: "Why would IU go after Brad Stevens, he has a job, and IU has a coach!"

Fred Glass in 2018 and 2019: "Why would IU go after Chris Beard, he has a job and IU has a coach!"

Fred Glass in 2028 after missing the tournament 13 times in 20 years : "Why would IU go after the next hottest coach, he has a job and IU has a coach!"

Sweet! So we don’t even have to watch for the next ten years! Let’s all collectively stop watching and we can meet up in 10 years!

There is no comparison between the two. Different lives. Different sport. Different background. Different experiences at the school that hired them. Comparing our football program to their basketball program and widely painting a you suck across is a disservice to their program. You picked a random person. It was the wrong person to pick. That is not a comparison. The higher level point I am trying to make is you do this all of the time and expect people to take you seriously. In between your Khakis line and not knowing the Tubby Smith situation you are comical. Tubby Smith left Tech for Memphis after winning Sporting News Coach of the Year award in 2016 as well as Big 12 Coach of the year. But yeah they REALLY SUCKED and had to go out and get their guy to turn it around.

You say random **** like marijuana in the thread about California allowing athletes to make money on their likeness. Not even remotely close in theory and that’s how you jump into threads. One is still on USADA tests as being performance enhancing (but discussions are underway to take it off at various levels of testing). The other is a player getting paid. It isn’t illegal for a player to smoke weed in a state that’s legal. It’s an issue when he fails the drug test. A player can show up on Instagram smoking a joint and the NCAA can’t do anything unless he fails a test. If the same player shows up on Instagram with a booster handing over money that’s it right there. Completely different.

So now Texas Tech didn’t suck? They had just went to their first NCAA tourney in almost a decade after going 19-12 on the year. And they still went out and paid the man they wanted.

Sweet! So we don’t even have to watch for the next ten years! Let’s all collectively stop watching and we can meet up in 10 years!

I don’t think we could get Beard anyways. But them having a job let us gauge some interest.

So now Texas Tech didn’t suck? They had just went to their first NCAA tourney in almost a decade after going 19-12 on the year. And they still went out and paid the man they wanted.   

So less than $300k per year on his first contract is paying the man huh? I mean that’s more than the couple of million they were paying Tubby and the $1 million more per year they offered to keep him from Memphis. Gee you got me. They really got the man they wanted.  Beard was in no way a fallback option. That contract proves that. I am honestly happy we could clear that up.

https://texastech.rivals.com/news/inside-tech-s-five-year-deal-with-chris-beard

So less than $300k per year on his first contract is paying the man huh? I mean that’s more than the couple of million they were paying Tubby and the $1 million more per year they offered to keep him from Memphis. Gee you got me. They really got the man they wanted. 
https://texastech.rivals.com/news/inside-tech-s-five-year-deal-with-chris-beard

Oh my Jesus. Well comparisons will just have to stop and never happen again. Unless ever detail of life matches up. If they don’t go to the bathroom at the same time or eat the same cereal, comparison is voided.

Oh my Jesus. Well comparisons will just have to stop and never happen again. Unless ever detail of life matches up. If they don’t go to the bathroom at the same time or eat the same cereal, comparison is voided.

I mean that is the bargain of all bargains for the man they wanted. I wish we could all be so bold. Next time maybe we stick to comparisons that are actually comparing a realistic situation and not your false narrative.

Glass is delusional. The Tallen Complex in no way rivals what other schools have. Get out of the bubble, Fred.

How so? When you toured all other B1G football complexes what did they impress you with more than what Indiana has? I mean, I don’t believe you would ever throw blanket statements out there without having a clue. I would have expected there to be a reason you would say this other than your hatred of Fred. So what did you like better than other football player lounges since you make it seem it’s not even close?

It takes a few minutes to do a Google search to see what other schools have. This isn’t hard. Only Rutgers and Maryland have worse football facilities in the conference. And don’t get me started on what schools in other conferences have.

What specifically? Backup your constant barrage of baseless negativity

It takes a few minutes to do a Google search to see what other schools have. This isn’t hard. Only Rutgers and Maryland have worse football facilities in the conference. And don’t get me started on what schools in other conferences have.

So Google said we are only better than Rutgers and Maryland? Interesting.

Edit: Did you know Northwestern built their $270 million complex for the football players and their 14,000 sq foot gym has to be shared with athletes in lacrosse, field hockey, cross-country, soccer and swimming and diving? Wonder how you would feel about that here. I can’t imagine you would be anything but complimentary like you are for other programs.

So Google said we are only better than Rutgers and Maryland? Interesting.

Google also said to fire Fred Glass

Google also said to fire Fred Glass

I feel like Gradman emails himself talking points every morning. He forgot how to use Google when he couldn’t handle the positivity on the internet. The world is just too positive for Gradman.

I don’t even know what people are arguing about anymore. We all know that sports aren’t the priority at IU like it is at some schools. You can blame glass, you can blame mcrobbie or both but we don’t and some are ok with that and some aren’t.

Under these two the basketball program has sucked and football program has sucked. Not much argument to the contrary.

One can argue that both are trending up but again, that is still tbd and all we know is history and glass and mcrobbie have been wildly unsuccessful with these two programs.

It is crazy to ignore their history here and that alone is enough to be skeptical that this all works out well for us in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

13 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

The level of overall luxury comes to mind and the size of the players’ lounge. The film rooms are much nicer and larger. Illinois’ new facility has a bowling alley. Clemson has a slide, basketball courts, fire pit, and horseshoe set up. IU offers none of those amenities, just the bare minimum.

And yet we're still getting the most talent that IU football has ever fielded. 

The level of overall luxury comes to mind and the size of the players’ lounge. The film rooms are much nicer and larger. Illinois’ new facility has a bowling alley. Clemson has a slide, basketball courts, fire pit, and horseshoe set up. IU offers none of those amenities, just the bare minimum.

A slide? If Glass attempted to put a slide in our football facility he would be eviscerated for putting children’s playground equipment in an adult area. I also was unaware that horseshoes was the game du jour for college students. Admittedly I haven’t been around the Deep South lately, but horseshoes? I guess that’s what it takes to have the #2 team in the country. I wonder if Alabama has a Lincoln Logs table set up for its players.....