Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

I understand that everyone is frustrated. They have good reason to be. The facts are that IU has not been a top 10, top 20, and now not even a top 40 basketball program for many years. You can dance around that any way you want, but that is a fact. The football program has been a disaster since the 1800s. Are things getting better under Glass? Not really. Basketball is picked to finish 11th. Football is still IU football. As far as facilities go, I don't really credit Glass for any of that. The University paid for it. He just had some input on design and so on. I don't think Glass is a good judge of coaching talent overall. And lastly I like having some decent non-revenue sports teams, but without basketball and football success it is kind of hollow.  If you want success look at schools that are successful. They would never tolerate what the IU administration has tolerated forever. 

18 hours ago, Old Friend said:

How?  Recruiting classes have improved if you look at national ranking; he has the best record of any IU football coach in history save Bill Mallory, and Mallory is up by .002%.   Indiana is at least as likely to to go a bowl this season as not; and we have some depth for the first time in a couple of decades.

There's no evidence to support that statement.   

We went to 2 consecutive bowl games for the first time since the early 1990s, then fired the coach.

Since then we haven't been back to a bowl game.  Haven't even beaten freakin' Purdue.  Couldn't even do it at home against a 5-6 rival when the post-season was on the line for both teams.

What does it even mean to be "at least as likely to go to a bowl game this season"?  We've gone to like 4 bowl games in 20 years.  We're never likely to go to a bowl game.

Recruiting has picked up, sure, but since when have you cared about national rankings?  I have yet to see that translate to W's.

Just now, AKHoosier said:

We went to 2 consecutive bowl games for the first time since the early 1990s, then fired the coach.

Since then we haven't been back to a bowl game.  Haven't even beaten freakin' Purdue.  Couldn't even do it at home against a 5-6 rival when the post-season was on the line for both teams.

What does it even mean to be "at least as likely to go to a bowl game this season"?  We've gone to like 4 bowl games in 20 years.  We're never likely to go to a bowl game.

Recruiting has picked up, sure, but since when have you cared about national rankings?  I have yet to see that translate to W's.

It was 2 years ago, dude.  If we go to a bowl this season, your argument is moot.   If we beat Purdue this season, your argument is moot.   It means as much that we're likely to go to a bowl this season as it does to day we haven't gone since Wilson's teams.    You just answered your own complaint.  You whined about not going to a bowl since WIlson, then accurately say we go 4 times in 20 years.   This team is a bowl team.  You can either see it or you can't.  

Are you really asking me when recruiting will translate to wins?  You expect freshmen and sophomores to translate to wins?   Come find me after Thanksgiving weekend.   

2 hours ago, Iugradman said:

Tom Allen’s conference record: 4-16

Basketball’s conference record the last three seasons: 24-32

IU cannot compete in the Big Ten under Fred Glass.

Care to put AD hat on and tell us who you would hire(within reason) for both programs. Not being a SA, just curious. 

2 hours ago, Iugradman said:

Tom Allen’s conference record: 4-16

Basketball’s conference record the last three seasons: 24-32

IU cannot compete in the Big Ten under Fred Glass.

The idiocy (short sighted and ignoring the broad picture for the sake of minutiae) of referencing the basketball conference record under Miller is mind numbing.   

Another serious question.  What will your opinion be when Indiana does well this season and next?   

11 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

Agreed. Recruiting has not translated to wins and is still near the bottom of the conference.

The idiocy (short sighted and ignoring the broad picture for the sake of minutiae) of referencing the basketball conference record under Miller is mind numbing.   
Another serious question.  What will your opinion be when Indiana does well this season and next?   

We have no idea what the basketball team will do and there isn’t anything that makes them better than last season. Is Green the best player Green? Because last year it was Morgan and Romeo and that’s a massive gap.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Agreed. Recruiting has not translated to wins and is still near the bottom of the conference.

Near the bottom of the conference...

But still the best Indiana has maybe ever had. Also top 40 ish recruiting classes which is pretty crazy that we’re still 11-12th in the B1G. I don’t have it in front of me, but pretty sure we won’t be in the top third until we’re consistently pulling in top 20 classes.

4 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Near the bottom of the conference...

But still the best Indiana has maybe ever had. Also top 40 ish recruiting classes which is pretty crazy that we’re still 11-12th in the B1G. I don’t have it in front of me, but pretty sure we won’t be in the top third until we’re consistently pulling in top 20 classes.

I dont expect us to top 5 in conference but we will never gain ground if we are consistently in the bottom third. Like I said before we took a step forward in recruiting but so did everyone else.

3 hours ago, jk34 said:

Care to put AD hat on and tell us who you would hire(within reason) for both programs. Not being a SA, just curious. 

I would hire Chris Beard. Have I said that enough on this site yet? haha

For football who are the next up and comers? I'd hire the hungriest of the bunch. 

Sure why not. First person I’d contact would be Urban Meyer. Offer him 6-7 million for 5 years. If he says no, create a bs position like “Football Program Advisor” or something stupid and offer him 1-2 million to oversee the direction and help hire a coach.

Now realistically, I’d have a sit down and see what kind of identity Allen wants. Defense? Offense? Good at both? Great at one or the other? Smash mouth? High scoring? Slow or fast? If he can’t give me a good enough answer for a direction and identity of the program, then he’d be fired. Then I’d look at a short list and see if there’s any interest. And I would start at what would be considered top dogs. Steve Sarkisian(Bama OC), Pete Golding(Bama DC), Thomas Brent Venables(Clemson DC), Jeff Scott(Clemson OC), Bill Bedenbaugh(Oklahoma OC), Alex Grinch(Oklahoma DC). Then look at some used to be names like Lane Kiffin, Charlie Strong or even Chip Kelly and get some buzz with a bigger name. Then you work your way down. But you have to start with people who have been around great success because they have seen what it takes.

There’s a reason the second paragraph started with “realistic.”

Well they weren’t much more realistic Joe. You just listed every top paid assistant in the country waiting for the top jobs to open up. Your idea of realistic and reality are not one in the same.

Well they weren’t much more realistic Joe. You just listed every top paid assistant in the country waiting for the top jobs to open up. Your idea of realistic and reality are not one in the same.

You have to pay for top talent.

You have to pay for top talent.

Ok but those listed are getting paid no matter where they go. Except they are going to Alabama, USC, Oklahoma, Florida, FSU, etc. That’s like saying your a basketball coach and Oregon St is willing to pay you $5-$6 mill per year. Well if you are Chris Beard do you take it? No you don’t and there is a reason why it doesn’t happen. There isn’t one coach on your list that would give more than 2 seconds of thought on the IU job. Realistic.

Edit: Maybe Charlie Strong, but no thanks.