Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

This thread..... can’t wait until we have bad losses to complain about..... oh wait......

Let’s just have a season we outperform expectations and play well for a damn change.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

The Marquette was probably the best game we’ve seen under Archie. Offense clicked. Defense played well. It then you have games like Nebraska, Northwestern, Rutgers etc...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Kind of a bad example there though because K is probably a better coach and better human being. 

Really hope the second part is sarcasm. Coach K is the same scumbag level as Izzo. Above the rules, above the law, they do what they want and how dare you question them.

I actually dislike those two far more than Calipari.

When i'm evaluating IU's head coach on whether or not he should be extended or fired, I'm discounting big wins on our home court and placing higher value on away and neutral site games. I believe no NCAA champion has ever had a losing away-neutral court record. Additionally, there were some fans that thought Clappy was Naimsmith after some of those assembly hall beat downs he provided regularly, when in fact, he was still clappy.

46 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

Archie is a good coach. Not a great coach. I expect better results going forward. Not NCs but regular NCAAT appearances.

Tom Allen seems very “in over his head.” His spastic demeanor on the sideline is a bad indicator for Me. We have seen this before(Tommy Clapper.)

How dumb is Fred Glass? He was talking a Tom Allen extension at the beginning of the season!

For what!? Why!?

At IU, a losing record could land you an extension!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Was he really talking to Allen about an extension?

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Was he really talking to Allen about an extension?

I know Glass had a comment that mentioned an extension for Allen, didn't say anything else on regards to it that I know of.  Hopefully he was speaking in hypotheticals if Allen actually earns one,  otherwise there shouldn't be any defending it.

9 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Really hope the second part is sarcasm. Coach K is the same scumbag level as Izzo. Above the rules, above the law, they do what they want and how dare you question them.

I actually dislike those two far more than Calipari.

Izzo lets his players rape women and covers it up. As much as i dislike K he’s not in that kind of evil territory. 

When i'm evaluating IU's head coach on whether or not he should be extended or fired, I'm discounting big wins on our home court and placing higher value on away and neutral site games. I believe no NCAA champion has ever had a losing away-neutral court record. Additionally, there were some fans that thought Clappy was Naimsmith after some of those assembly hall beat downs he provided regularly, when in fact, he was still clappy.

That’s because it would be damn near impossible to get a high seed without winning meaningful road games. We are talking a handful of teams per year with a strong road resume. If that is your extension or fire premise you will have a revolving door of head coaches. That’s just not the way to run a program. Unless you feel in our current situation we are Duke or Kansas. But hey discounting big home wins sounds like a recipe for success.

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

That’s because it would be damn near impossible to get a high seed without winning meaningful road games. We are talking a handful of teams per year with a strong road resume. If that is your extension or fire premise you will have a revolving door of head coaches. That’s just not the way to run a program. Unless you feel in our current situation we are Duke or Kansas. But hey discounting big home wins sounds like a recipe for success.

I'm saying if the end goal is win a championship and we have a coach who isn't capable of winning big road or neutral games, then we need to look at that as an evaluator and less on big wins like against Marquette at home. 

I'm saying if the end goal is win a championship and we have a coach who isn't capable of winning big road or neutral games, then we need to look at that as an evaluator and less on big wins like against Marquette at home. 

Well either way MSU was way better than Marquette. I don’t think anyone is saying because of that road win he deserves a contract extension just because he could do it. If you aren’t taking the whole picture into account you are doing yourself and your program a disservice. Eliminating something arbitrarily is a horrible idea other than to try and force a narrative. We wouldn’t want to do that here would we?

11 hours ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

How in the holy hell can you make the claim he isn't capable of winning big road games?  We beat MSU at MSU last season for the love of God.  Are you just making things up, hoping we have a horrible season so you can be "right?"   The way you guys judge Miller is unbelievable to me.  You've seen exactly one season with a single one of his recruits playing even a minute; and last season's roster was flawed on top of significant injury.   

Why don't we just sign coaches to one year contracts and then ask you guys if we should keep him or not?    Would that make you happy?    At this point in time, serious question, what would make you happy?  If Glass came out tomorrow and said he was letting go of Tom Allen and Archie Miller, it seems you dudes would throw a parade.   We might as well hire Big Bird.   You'd treat him the same way,

How in the holy hell can you make the claim he isn't capable of winning big road games?  We beat MSU at MSU last season for the love of God.  Are you just making things up, hoping we have a horrible season so you can be "right?"   The way you guys judge Miller is unbelievable to me.  You've seen exactly one season with a single one of his recruits playing even a minute; and last season's roster was flawed on top of significant injury.   
Why don't we just sign coaches to one year contracts and then ask you guys if we should keep him or not?    Would that make you happy?    At this point in time, serious question, what would make you happy?  If Glass came out tomorrow and said he was letting go of Tom Allen and Archie Miller, it seems you dudes would throw a parade.   We might as well hire Big Bird.   You'd treat him the same way,

Smith and Durham are Archie’s recruits. He re-recruited them and they’ve never been coached by anyone else at IU. Those are his guys.

I agree that Justin Smith and Al Durham are Archie recruits. Would he have recruited them if he had come to Indiana a year earlier? Who knows? Also, I don't think we know yet if Archie's teams can win on the road. The overall record is not good although, yes, he did win at Michigan State last year. But it is too earlier to reach a conclusion. There are a handful of truly great college coaches and a greater number of truly bad college coaches. Everybody else is in the middle--most can coach but they will never be in the same category as Knight or Krzyzewski.  Archie is likely in the middle some where. Clearly he is an improvement on Crean and should be given a chance to prove what he can do.

13 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I think that would be a step in the right direction with the exception I don't want Glass making another Coaching decision at IU.  Time for Fred to move along to a High School and destroy their programs. :)

In what way has Glass destroyed the football program? Are you people kidding? Is he the one that stuck us in the Big Ten East? Is he the one that moved the Big Ten to a 9-game conference schedule? I know we haven't gone to a bowl under Allen yet, but we haven't gotten worse or stagnated. We've gotten better. The schedule is tougher and we've held at 5-7 which looks like treading water but really isn't.

Penix is just a freshman and the defense is still pretty young. I think we could still make a bowl this year if Penix makes it back next week and we're on track to become more competitive as these talented recruiting classes grow up. I think starting over before we see Allen with an upperclassman Penix would be a mistake unless he totally bombs out this year or next and goes 3-9.

52 minutes ago, Aeggie said:

In what way has Glass destroyed the football program? Are you people kidding? Is he the one that stuck us in the Big Ten East? Is he the one that moved the Big Ten to a 9-game conference schedule? I know we haven't gone to a bowl under Allen yet, but we haven't gotten worse or stagnated. We've gotten better. The schedule is tougher and we've held at 5-7 which looks like treading water but really isn't.

Penix is just a freshman and the defense is still pretty young. I think we could still make a bowl this year if Penix makes it back next week and we're on track to become more competitive as these talented recruiting classes grow up. I think starting over before we see Allen with an upperclassman Penix would be a mistake unless he totally bombs out this year or next and goes 3-9.

Allen’s background is defense. What exactly would he do with a Jr-Sr Penix that he hasn’t or couldn’t do with Fr-So Penix?

4 hours ago, Aeggie said:

When the University of Central Florida has a better program and team for 10 consecutive years, and you are in the big ten....you aren't exactly at the top of your game.

Allen’s background is defense. What exactly would he do with a Jr-Sr Penix that he hasn’t or couldn’t do with Fr-So Penix?

Hold on.

What can a upperclassmen QB do that a freshman couldn’t? Come on now.

Allen hired a new OC because he knows he’s not an offensive expert, and he knew his old offense wasn’t working. Your question may be more accurately asked as, “what could a senior QB accomplish in his 4th year with the same OC that he couldn’t accomplish in his first year?”

My answer is still COME ON NOW. We’ll see, but I’d bet my money that a senior QB will be used more effectively and play more effectively than the freshman version of themselves.

31 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Hold on.

What can a upperclassmen QB do that a freshman couldn’t? Come on now.

Allen hired a new OC because he knows he’s not an offensive expert, and he knew his old offense wasn’t working. Your question may be more accurately asked as, “what could a senior QB accomplish in his 4th year with the same OC that he couldn’t accomplish in his first year?”

My answer is still COME ON NOW. We’ll see, but I’d bet my money that a senior QB will be used more effectively and play more effectively than the freshman version of themselves.

Totally agree that a Sr Penix would be a better option that a Fr Penix - but my point stands that it won’t be Allen doing the mentoring - it will be whoever Allen is employing at OC and QB coach. That was the point of my original question.