Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

18 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

In his first year IU had 0 wins against ncaa tourney teams and didn’t have 1 win against a top 50 team. Best win in the B1G was 9-9 Penn St. they beat 0 of the top 6 B1G teams. IU spent 0 days in the ncaa tournament discussion.

2nd year IU had 5 wins against tourney teams
Swept final 4 participant Michigan St
3 top 20 NET wins( committee uses it so it’s important, one of those on the road) and spent the whole year in the tournament discussion.

Maybe to some that doesn’t show improvement but to others maybe it does

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

While there was certainly growth between the two years. There are two points to consider. 

A) We probably underachieved Archie’s first year. Two horrible unacceptable losses kept us out of the NIT. Which allowed another under performing season to still look like growth. 

B) losing the two best players from that second year team very well could stall whatever growth there was. 

And an an unrelated concern that doesn’t appear(but could be) to be being addressed is that same kind of mistakes that we were making in that embarrassing season opener 2 years ago were still plaguing the team all the way through to the loss in the NIT last year. 

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

A) We probably underachieved Archie’s first year. Two horrible unacceptable losses kept us out of the NIT. Which allowed another under performing season to still look like growth. 

While I have some of the same concerns that have been raised here, I certainly did not feel the team underachieved in Archie's first year. I think most projected us to finish 10-12 and we tied for 6th. This was from an NIT team that lost it's best players and was learning a whole new system.

While I have some of the same concerns that have been raised here, I certainly did not feel the team underachieved in Archie's first year. I think most projected us to finish 10-12 and we tied for 6th. This was from an NIT team that lost it's best players and was learning a whole new system.

I’m guessing they are saying losses to Fort Wayne and ISU make it underachieving. Like you said that team lost their top 3 players and were playing in a new system that involved defense. Should they of beaten those 2 teams even with the team they had? Sure but better teams lose to lesser teams every year. It will happen again this year

15 minutes ago, bigrod said:

Creams NIT team was a dramatic underachiever 

While there was certainly growth between the two years. There are two points to consider.  A) We probably underachieved Archie’s first year. Two horrible unacceptable losses kept us out of the NIT. Which allowed another under performing season to still look like growth.  B) losing the two best players from that second year team very well could stall whatever growth there was. 

And an an unrelated concern that doesn’t appear(but could be) to be being addressed is that same kind of mistakes that we were making in that embarrassing season opener 2 years ago were still plaguing the team all the way through to the loss in the NIT last year. 

I don’t think systematically I am concerned with Archie. We have seen success with both his offensive sets and defense elsewhere. My biggest concern is not directly addressing recruiting pure shooters for 2019. After the first season that was a glaring weakness. It has allowed two years of defenders sagging on pick and rolls which is what our sets are built off of more times than not. We have no ability to keep defenses honest currently. Our best hope is player development and more or less a fresh start. Defensively I feel we will be better and continue as such. Offensively with the roster makeup we have I would prefer more of a motion style. I think we could have greater success with the makeup we are recruiting towards. But that’s just personal preference. 

I don’t think systematically I am concerned with Archie. We have seen success with both his offensive sets and defense elsewhere. My biggest concern is not directly addressing recruiting pure shooters for 2019. After the first season that was a glaring weakness. It has allowed two years of defenders sagging on pick and rolls which is what our sets are built off of more times than not. We have no ability to keep defenses honest currently. Our best hope is player development and more or less a fresh start. Defensively I feel we will be better and continue as such. Offensively with the roster makeup we have I would prefer more of a motion style. I think we could have greater success with the makeup we are recruiting towards. But that’s just personal preference.  

I thought Demezi was recruited more or less as a pure shooter. Didn’t show it in year 1 but I think CAM tried to address the weakness with DA. I’m very interested to see if he can become that more this year.

8 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Honest answer.  I believe in Archie.  I saw what happened a year ago and I see the general direction of the program.   Barring regression, I will never be someone who believes in throwing mud against the wall until something sticks in the shirt term is the right way to run an athletic program.

So....no, I wouldn't fire him yet.  Bill Bekichick had a poor record with the Browns.   Think they regret letting him go?  I suspect Glass believes in Archie and sees the recruits, the direction, etc.  It is very likely Indiana will secure 3 straight Indiana Mr. Basketball winners.  I'm not sure that's ever been done, and certainly not more than once or twice.   

I am on record as saying I want Indiana to get old and stay old.    Sounds to me like you aren't even willing to allow them to GET old.  Firing coaches every 3 years until one produces a year of your desired results would differ nothing to build a program.  And it's short sighted.  If I were.....interviewing for Archie's job if it became available in March, U'd be awfully leery of the  opportunity unless the program showed obvious signs of regression.

My question for you is why are you so driven to assume and expect the worst?  Are you that anti-Glass that you want HIM gone to prove you right?  I'm not a witch hunter.  I don't call for jobs unless it's obvious a d I know for sure I can get better w someone else.  Indiana University's biggest problem is higher than Fred Glass.  You want to call for someone's head?   Look higher.

But do me a favor.  Please raise your expectations if qualified people.  Archie Miller was a good hire in paper and until he proves otherwise,  on the floor and for the program as welll.  Look for positive signs and expect success.  Rooting for failure of qualified people for the sake of an "I told you so" is exhausting.   As are witch hunts.  Both Miller and Fred Glass deserve better, and if yoy'd for a second look through a wider lens, your perspective might change.   You and others aren't spending much time looking at what's positive in the men's basketball program, and you seem hell bent on getting someone fired.   That's not my bag if I feel someone is qualified and capable.  I think both men are 

I am really enjoying debating with you and that is not being sarcastic. 

Getting old and staying old is great and has been proven to be the most consistent model in winning big in the NCAA. I agree with you there. I will never argue that point with you. I also agree that Firing a coach every three years until one produces is a recipe for disaster. It would signal dysfunction to the NCAA at large and would alienate ourselves from top talent. 

What I think we're not seeing eye to eye on is the decision making process of Fred Glass. I strongly believe his decision making process should be a macro, top down approach, with the goal in mind. It would look like this; Win Banner 6 (goal) -> what do we need to do to get there -> do we have those things in place -> what do we need to bring or upgrade -> who is best suited to get us there -> look everywhere in the NCAA-> why are other coaches successful -> who is on my short list if we needed to make a change -> evaluate the Macro's at year end -> base any decision on MACRO factors... I believe Fred Glass makes decisions on micro factors like "Well Jordan Hulls had a broken wing that year" - a quote Fred actually said. Looking at specifics in a vacuum is a recipe for disaster at his position. Coaches should look at the Micro, not the AD. 

I'm not driving or forcing a narrative that Fred Glass is a bad AD while shoehorning everything he does into that narrative.He might be a great guy, good lawyer, friend, and family man. But what he is not is a competitive AD that knows how to make decisions at the Macro level to get us to where IU needs to go. I'm not calling for McRobbies head because the man is retiring in 2020-2021. We've already seen an early adopter in Brian Davidson running for BOT trying to usurp the status quo. That will only grow stronger and when McRobbie is gone hopefully the flood gates open, thus changing the status quo. 

Archie may or may not be the right guy to win Banner 6. I did a post a year ago or so about how many years it takes new coaches to win a championship. TLDR: if we don't think Archie can make it to a final four by year 5, we need to cut bait. If Archie turns out to be the best of the three available at the time of hire between Him, Chris Mack and Chris Holtmann, then I was wrong and I will apologize. But from what I've seen and some of the intrinsic things i'm judging him on, I don't think we got the best one of the three. I think that will be Chris Holtmann. Because of that, I believe my narrative that Glass has made poor decision after poor decision after poor decision, to be true unless proved otherwise. 

I thought Demezi was recruited more or less as a pure shooter. Didn’t show it in year 1 but I think CAM tried to address the weakness with DA. I’m very interested to see if he can become that more this year.

Having watched him in High School and some AAU he just wasn’t that. I always though Rob was a better shooter. Neither of which I would consider a pure shooter.

43 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I think we will have shooters this year. Incremental improvements from Al and Rob. Combined with Devonte. If Jerome is the real deal we should be set. 

I do have concerns the right people will be shooting them 

I think we will have shooters this year. Incremental improvements from Al and Rob. Combined with Devonte. If Jerome is the real deal we should be set. 
I do have concerns the right people will be shooting them 

Seeing improvement will be tricky this season because of the line moving backwards. If guys stick at the % then I’d consider that to be improvement just because of the increase in difficulty. There also be a lot more space. But it was also the same in the NIT and the offense was still pretty rough. And for the people who think losing Romeo is a good thing, it certainly didn’t help in the NIT. A more motion driven offense is always ideal and I think Indiana fans are very fond of the motion offense for a couple reasons.

Which sports programs are truly on an upswing right now under Glass?

I think baseball for sure. Maintain soccer. I know this won’t be popular but football. Prior to him it was even worse which is nuts. I hope the next person can take that program to the next level. Expecting 7-5 and getting lucky a couple of years. That would be fun. I think basketball we will be fine, but it really has to start this season. If we missed another tournament I will hate to see what the crowds look like. I go to a lot of games. That’s half the fun, the environment.

Which sports programs are truly on an upswing right now under Glass?

Volleyball, wrestling, women’s soccer, softball,

Baseball, swimming/diving, cross country, men’s soccer. Some are consistent (men’s soccer, swimming ) and others are beginning their ascent (especially wrestling and volleyball)

23 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Volleyball, wrestling, women’s soccer, softball,

Baseball, swimming/diving, cross country, men’s soccer. Some are consistent (men’s soccer, swimming ) and others are beginning their ascent (especially wrestling and volleyball)

When you're broke and find a penny on the ground you are up 1000%! haha 

1 hour ago, Fkfootball1 said:

The sports that nobody, especially the media, care about. The Sports that actually generate revenue.

The question wasn't "Which sports out of basketball, football, men's soccer and baseball are on the rise?"  These sports fall under "athletics", which happens to be in Glass's title, Director of Athletics.  Comprehension not your strong suit?