Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

37 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

IU won 2 Big Ten titles under Crean.  Spaced out 3 seasons apart.  When was Glass supposed to fire Crean during that time???   You're myopic rather than realistic.    When it was time to let Crean go, Glass did.  What would you have done differently?  

IU became embarrassing in basketball when we hired Mike Davis, then extended him because the NAACP threatened to storm campus if IU didn't.  Then again when Adam Herbert demanded a minority replace Davis, and we ended up with Kelvin Sampson.  This goes back way before Fred Glass and like I keep telling YOU....way higher.

What is it you're hung up on?  Crean DIDN'T keep his job.  He was fired 3 seasons after a Big Ten title because he couldn't be consistent or make a Sweet 16.  He was here 9 years.  The first 2 or 3 of which were a dumpster fire not of his creation.    Then, he made the NCAa tournament, beat Kentucky,  won 2 Big Ten titles....    when was the time to fire him then?   Giving a coach just 2 seasons is generally suicide because it sends a message to anyone else who might want the job.  Take a step back.  What are you really asking?  What's your point different than mine other than yoi'd have liked s better search when Wilson was fired?  

Kelvin Sampson is a great coach. He very likely would've hung another banner up by now if he had stayed. Sure, he broke NCAA rules by making too many phone calls, but that's nothing when all the top guys are paying players hundreds of thousands of dollars.

What's my point? My point is that our best program has been a disaster under Fred Glass. You can make as many excuses as you want for him, but the facts are what they are. 4 NCAA tournaments in 11 years. At a "blueblood". He should be fired because he has failed at his job. Duke would fire you for that. Kentucky would fire you for that. Kansas would fire you for that. IU, on the other hand? Apparently not. 

21 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Are you saying it goes even above McRobbie? So then who is the biggest culprit on the BOT?

Equal blame.   The BOT all want to remain on the BOT, therefore won't cross McRobbie, but the buck stops with him.

Equal blame.   The BOT all want to remain on the BOT, therefore won't cross McRobbie, but the buck stops with him.
I’ve seen a lot of people on Twitter saying McRobbie needs to be packing his bags along with Glass. So people know who is responsible.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

24 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Kelvin Sampson is a great coach. He very likely would've hung another banner up by now if he had stayed. Sure, he broke NCAA rules by making too many phone calls, but that's nothing when all the top guys are paying players hundreds of thousands of dollars.

What's my point? My point is that our best program has been a disaster under Fred Glass. You can make as many excuses as you want for him, but the facts are what they are. 4 NCAA tournaments in 11 years. At a "blueblood". He should be fired because he has failed at his job. Duke would fire you for that. Kentucky would fire you for that. Kansas would fire you for that. IU, on the other hand? Apparently not. 

You just lost all credibility.

First of all, saying that about Sampson is conjecture at best.  Myopia defined.  Sampson did more than make phone calls.  Don't swipe the drugs, hookers, lack of going to class, and legal trouble of the players under the carpet in order to fit your narrative.  That's weak. 

Second, 2 Big Ten titles is not a disaster.  Crean inhereted a disaster...left by your "great coach" and ultimately couldn't win consistently and he was fired. You got your wish. Glass did what he should have done...and yet you still b*tch. Why?  He fired the coach who didn't win to Indiana's standards.  Again....What's your point???

Things are picking up drastically in the basketball program, and you can either choose to acknowledge that or ignore it. Up to you, but one is real, the other is you complaining for the sake of it.   Third, Glass has not failed at "his job."   I lined out for you what his job is. He's failed in YOUR eyes because you want something different.   His job is not defined by fans or the media.  His job is defined by Michael McRobbie.   Why is that so hard for you?    We're not Duke and we're not Kentucky (and I have zero interest in BEING Kentucky.)    What if IU returns to basketball success in the next 2-3 years?    What will you have to complain about?   

You're really basing this entire line of BS on losing to Purdue last season because that cost us a bowl bid, and basketball is going to be just fine.   Glass DID fire Crean.  He did a search and found a coach that not only recruits the way Indiana did when it was its most successful but showed obvious growth a year ago.  

Anyway, there are 3-4 of you who can't widen your lens and accept reality, so I'll let you go on arguing that Fred Glass should lose his job based on the past you're not happy with.   Have at it.  When you come back to reality, let me know.

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I’ve seen a lot of people on Twitter saying McRobbie needs to be packing his bags along with Glass. So people know who is responsible.

You would get no argument from me re: McRobbie.  I can't find blame w Glass except to say his hiring of Allen may prove to be a mistake.  Other than that, I just don't see where he needs to shoulder much blame because a whole lot is going damned well.   Including men's basketball.   Looking at what "is" vs. what "was,"the view is very different.

First of all, saying that about Sampson is conjecture at best.  Myopia defined.  Sampson did more than make phone calls.  Don't swipe the drugs, hookers, lack of going to class, and legal trouble of the players under the carpet in order to fit your narrative.  That's weak. 
Second, 2 Big Ten titles is not a disaster.  Crean inhereted a disaster...left by your "great coach" and ultimately couldn't win consistently and he was fired. You got your wish. Glass did what he should have done...and yet you still b*tch. Why?  He fired the coach who didn't win to Indiana's standards.  Again....What's your point???
Things are picking up drastically in the basketball program, and you can either choose to acknowledge that or ignore it. Up to you, but one is real, the other is you complaining for the sake of it.   Third, Glass has not failed at "his job."   I lined out for you what his job is. He's failed in YOUR eyes because you want something different.   His job is not defined by fans or the media.  His job is defined by Michael McRobbie.   Why is that so hard for you?    We're not Duke and we're not Kentucky (and I have zero interest in BEING Kentucky.)    What if IU returns to basketball success in the next 2-3 years?    What will you have to complain about?   
You're really basing this entire line of BS on losing to Purdue last season because that cost us a bowl bid, and basketball is going to be just fine.   Glass DID fire Crean.  He did a search and found a coach that not only recruits the way Indiana did when it was its most successful but showed obvious growth a year ago.  
Anyway, there are 3-4 of you who can't widen your lens and accept reality, so I'll let you go on arguing that Fred Glass should lose his job based on the past you're not happy with.   Have at it.  When you come back to reality, let me know.

How is basketball drastically getting better? The past 2 seasons under Archie have been pathetic and he’s shown he can’t coach an offense.

35 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

It's honestly hysterical to me that you think I'm "b******* for the sake of b*******" when the basketball program has made 4 NCAA tournaments over the past 11 years. The only way you could think Glass has done a good job is if you're a close friend and think you have to stick up for him. There's zero way that someone could objectively look at the state of our two most important programs and think "wow, he's done a great job!"

As for "sweeping things under the rug", did you forget about the legal problems players had under Crean? One of our players ran over another one of our players. Many failed drug tests. Two players kicked off the team after multiple failed drug tests. A DUI  Not exactly a clean program under Crean, either.

You think the basketball program is picking up drastically. However, the facts show we have failed to make the tournament the past two seasons and are predicted to miss for a third year this season. I'd love to know where this alternate universe in which U sports are doing great is located. If you find it, can you give me directions? 

How is basketball drastically getting better? The past 2 seasons under Archie have been pathetic and he’s shown he can’t coach an offense.

In his first year IU had 0 wins against ncaa tourney teams and didn’t have 1 win against a top 50 team. Best win in the B1G was 9-9 Penn St. they beat 0 of the top 6 B1G teams. IU spent 0 days in the ncaa tournament discussion.

2nd year IU had 5 wins against tourney teams
Swept final 4 participant Michigan St
3 top 20 NET wins( committee uses it so it’s important, one of those on the road) and spent the whole year in the tournament discussion.

Maybe to some that doesn’t show improvement but to others maybe it does

54 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Glass had a chance to hire Brad Stevens away from Butler and he missed that opportunity by extending Crean prematurely. 

Glass had the opportunity to hire Les Miles, Jeff Brohm, et. al. and he missed the opportunity because he promoted an unproven coach.

Glass has not learned from his mistakes in the past, and that is why he'll make the following mistake:

Glass has the opportunity today to fire Archie and hire Chris Beard. Chris Beard is OBJECTIVELY the best coach in college basketball that Indiana could get since Brad Stevens.  Glass will either extend Archie or wait until Chris Beard is picked up by another Blue Blood. 

When your vision of the athletic department is to keep your job rather than to build a winning program, you get 7 missed tournaments in 11 years. 

3 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Glass had a chance to hire Brad Stevens away from Butler and he missed that opportunity by extending Crean prematurely. 

Glass had the opportunity to hire Les Miles, Jeff Brohm, et. al. and he missed the opportunity because he promoted an unproven coach.

Glass has not learned from his mistakes in the past, and that is why he'll make the following mistake:

Glass has the opportunity today to fire Archie and hire Chris Beard. Chris Beard is OBJECTIVELY the best coach in college basketball that Indiana could get since Brad Stevens.  Glass will either extend Archie or wait until Chris Beard is picked up by another Blue Blood. 

When your vision of the athletic department is to keep your job rather than to build a winning program, you get 7 missed tournaments in 11 years. 

Your Chris Beard obsession is a little over the top.  I was curious- counted 14 posts in my search that you've pined for him.

4 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Your Chris Beard obsession is a little over the top.  I was curious- counted 14 posts in my search that you've pined for him.

Have you seen his fireside chats? Great personality. 

He went to the elite 8, lost his top 7 scorers (Need to double check), then made it to the championship game and lost IMO because of a no-call foul committed by Kyle Guy. 

Reggie Miller said he runs the best basketball practice he's ever seen in his life. 

He was an associate head coach under Bob Knight. 

He's won everywhere he's been. 

He always beats Matt Painter. 

I'm telling you, Chris Beard is the best coach I've seen in college basketball since Brad Stevens. guys like him pop up once every 10 years. We missed our chance in 2014, but we have a chance to make it right this time around. 

P.S. I'm not saying Archie will be a failure at IU, I guarantee he will be better than Crean, but Chris Beard is hands down the best coach in College basketball and if IU wants to be a blue blood again, that is how to do it. 

The best time to fire Crean was in 2014 after the crappy 17-15 record, no post-season tournament year. The no show against Syracuse followed by a poor season was more than enough justification to make a change. The massive thread on this site calling for Crean’s dismissal was started in early 2014 but we had to wait three more years before he was fired.

The best time to fire Crean was 2011. Stevens had just went to his 2nd title game. Zeller was already committed. Indiana just had a disappointing season even with the low expectations it had. Then was the time to pull the trigger. You pull in Stevens, no one is leaving. Zeller was staying for two years. Yogi was still coming in because of Zeller. Indiana would have been on a much better trajectory.

In his first year IU had 0 wins against ncaa tourney teams and didn’t have 1 win against a top 50 team. Best win in the B1G was 9-9 Penn St. they beat 0 of the top 6 B1G teams. IU spent 0 days in the ncaa tournament discussion.

2nd year IU had 5 wins against tourney teams
Swept final 4 participant Michigan St
3 top 20 NET wins( committee uses it so it’s important, one of those on the road) and spent the whole year in the tournament discussion.

Maybe to some that doesn’t show improvement but to others maybe it does

That’s not really saying much and it is was apparent come selection Sunday that NET didn’t mean as much as people thought. Indiana was still really really bad last season. If you watched games and thought “this is getting better” then you’re blind. They lost 12 of 13 for a reason. Literally the only reason they were even remotely near tourney talk is because the NET is built to push P5 teams ahead of everyone else.

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

That’s not really saying much and it is was apparent come selection Sunday that NET didn’t mean as much as people thought. Indiana was still really really bad last season. If you watched games and thought “this is getting better” then you’re blind. They lost 12 of 13 for a reason. Literally the only reason they were even remotely near tourney talk is because the NET is built to push P5 teams ahead of everyone else.

IU as a team was better than they were the previous year. The problem was that we expected to be much better than we were, so the season was a disappointment even though the team was better. I like Archie and think he is the right guy for us, but he still needs to show it moving forward. 

1 hour ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

"Jeff Brohm? We may just decide to let you have him.

Love, Purdoo"