Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

30 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Almost every business recruits and extends offers for any role based on those exact same two points, in addition to being right for the role. So...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Oh wow I wonder if the reason I’m not getting any job offers is because I tell them I’m always looking for something and will leave ASAP 

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

Tom Allen fit those criteria.  It's not as simple as a warm body Glass happened to know.  Other coaches were absolutely considered and others were contacted.   I know that to be 100% fact.  But....Tom Allen was in-house; and based on several criteria, was offered the opportunity to become the head coach.   Last Saturday was not the barometer for IU.   Plenty of upcoming Saturdays ARE.  Tom Allen has the rest of this season to prove himself or not.

What other coaches were considered and contacted? I don't buy it. The time frame doesn't work. We finished the season on a Saturday (Nov. 26) and Wilson's firing and Allen's hiring were announced the following Thursday (Dec. 1). Within that five-day period, whom could he have contacted? The season was still going on for many schools. ... Did he contact Warren Central's coach? He could not have done anything close to an even half-hearted search in that amount of time. If he really wanted to conduct a thorough search, he would've waited till the season were over. Simply put, he took the easiest path -- that of least resistance. And gave the job to Allen.

13 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

What other coaches were considered and contacted? I don't buy it. The time frame doesn't work. We finished the season on a Saturday (Nov. 26) and Wilson's firing and Allen's hiring were announced the following Thursday (Dec. 1). Within that five-day period, whom could he have contacted? The season was still going on for many schools. ... Did he contact Warren Central's coach? He could not have done anything close to an even half-hearted search in that amount of time. If he really wanted to conduct a thorough search, he would've waited till the season were over. Simply put, he took the easiest path -- that of least resistance. And gave the job to Allen.

In the end, yes.  He hired the easy coach.  But others were indeed contacted.     Allen at that time had a resume that (at Indiana) was worthy of s look.   And he's won 5 games in consecutive seasons.....something not often accomplished in program history.  His IU resume is not yet complete, and his team is sitting at 2-1.  If you were being objective over the summer and someone asked you where you thought they'd be right now, what would you have said?   Guarantee you'd have said 2-1.    So.....all of you are b*tching to b*tch right now.   Like I said .. he has the rest of this season to prove it or not.   But.....I still say the schedule and divisional alignment of the Big Ten is a far bigger hurdle than any of you are crediting.     Not many coaches will come to Indiana because there's nothing to be gained.  I hate reality sometimes, but you can't deny it.

51 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Almost every business recruits and extends offers for any role based on those exact same two points, in addition to being right for the role. So...

College football isn't most businesses. If a coach uses IU as a spring board, who cares. That would mean the football program has been having success. If you limit your search to guys who would want to stay at IU then you're eliminating about every hot rising star in the business from the jump. That's how you end up with Tom Allen.

I'd much rather have a coach everyone wants than a coach who no one wants. Right now we have the latter. The way Coach Allen conducts himself is embarrassing. All teams recruiting against us will have to do is show them that pregame video from last Saturday and ask "do you really want to go play for that doofus?" 

50 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

People who believe continuity is better than a carousel care.  You think a carousel is better?   You think Indiana would hit on every one of those who walked through the turnstile?    By making the claim that Indiana would be better off hiring coaches who'd leave for a better gig on a consistent basis, you're admitting we're basically a minor league program and not a destination job, there by making my overall point.     

Who can Indiana hire?  Right now.  Allen goes on an extended vacation....who do you hire?  I don't want to know who you think we missed on, nor do I care.  Right now....today....who's your horse?  And if IU goes to a bowl game, do you feel the same?   

Right now we don't even have continuity. Allen's defense has gotten worse as Wilson's players leave and his recruits fill their places. No, IU wouldn't hit on every single coach. But we don't hit on every single coach now. We don't really ever hit on any football coach we hire. I would rather a coach come in, have success, and leave, than whatever it is we have right now. 

24 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

College football isn't most businesses. If a coach uses IU as a spring board, who cares. That would mean the football program has been having success. If you limit your search to guys who would want to stay at IU then you're eliminating about every hot rising star in the business from the jump. That's how you end up with Tom Allen.

I'd much rather have a coach everyone wants than a coach who no one wants. Right now we have the latter. The way Coach Allen conducts himself is embarrassing. All teams recruiting against us will have to do is show them that pregame video from last Saturday and ask "do you really want to go play for that doofus?" 

I think a school like Boise State or UCF are good examples of schools who are fine being spring boards for coaches. And it is working great for them. At the rate this programs continues to go after 150 years or whatever it is, about time to join the MAC. 

Edited by Loaded Chicken Sandwich

Our conference doesn't help but I don't buy that it's a bigger hindrance than some are making it out to be.  Last season we were 0-3 against the Big Ten West, prior season we were 1-2, even in the 6 win bowl season prior we were 1-2.  Big Ten East alignment doesn't help at all, but we don't beat the Big Ten West either.

EDIT:  Edited to make our records correct, 1-2 not 1-3.  Point stands, over last 9 BT West games we're 2-7.

26 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Our conference doesn't help but I don't buy that it's a bigger hindrance than some are making it out to be.  Last season we were 0-3 against the Big Ten West, prior season we were 1-2, even in the 6 win bowl season prior we were 1-2.  Big Ten East alignment doesn't help at all, but we don't beat the Big Ten West either.

EDIT:  Edited to make our records correct, 1-2 not 1-3.  Point stands, over last 9 BT West games we're 2-7.

They just have to be better in the Big Ten period. But the program doesn’t have the talent, skill or speed. You watch our defense compared to others and you can see how slow our players are to react. Opponents are given so many yards before anyone is near them. Allen is supposed to be a defensive expert yet the same problems still exist. Throw it deep and you have IU beat, DB’s still don’t turn their heads, defensive line is weak, linebackers and DE’s are slow and DB’s are even slow. 

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

In the end, yes.  He hired the easy coach.  But others were indeed contacted.     Allen at that time had a resume that (at Indiana) was worthy of s look.   And he's won 5 games in consecutive seasons.....something not often accomplished in program history.  His IU resume is not yet complete, and his team is sitting at 2-1.  If you were being objective over the summer and someone asked you where you thought they'd be right now, what would you have said?   Guarantee you'd have said 2-1.    So.....all of you are b*tching to b*tch right now.   Like I said .. he has the rest of this season to prove it or not.   But.....I still say the schedule and divisional alignment of the Big Ten is a far bigger hurdle than any of you are crediting.     Not many coaches will come to Indiana because there's nothing to be gained.  I hate reality sometimes, but you can't deny it.

No, we're not all bitching to b*tch. That's a pretty GD patronizing remark if you ask me. There's nothing wrong with wanting to win more than five games a year and thinking we settled on a coach with a mediocre resume when it seems as if we never even explored other options. I don't get how his resume was worthy of a look. He was a position coach at Mississippi and a college DC for two years -- only one at a Power 5 school. That spells B1G head coach? Really? And I think just about everyone realizes our schedule isn't easy. You're not privy that that opinion. That's not your secret. But other than Illinois, we don't beat teams on the other side of the conference, either. Let's face it, in basketball, we used to dominate the likes of Northwestern, Penn State and Wisconsin. Now when we meet those teams, it's almost a tossup -- and we're usually underdogs to Wisconsin. But in football, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State used to dominate us -- and still do. Regardless of what side of the conference we're on, we need to start beating those teams every now and then. Against Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State, we have one win in the past 30 years. That's ridiculous. 

Not exactly.   Glass, like any AD at Indiana would be faced with several questions :
1)   Who is on the list of people who would accept this job?
2)   Who is on the list of people who would take the job and STAY in the job?
3)  Who is on the list who can keep continuity of what we want to do at IU (I don't agree with this, but it's a reality)?
4)  Who fits our budget?
5)  Who wants to be here?
Tom Allen fit those criteria.  It's not as simple as a warm body Glass happened to know.  Other coaches were absolutely considered and others were contacted.   I know that to be 100% fact.  But....Tom Allen was in-house; and based on several criteria, was offered the opportunity to become the head coach.   Last Saturday was not the barometer for IU.   Plenty of upcoming Saturdays ARE.  Tom Allen has the rest of this season to prove himself or not.

I mean, by those standards you and I could have been offered the gig. Setting the bar low

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Glass should just quit and do something else. Give him tickets to all the games if he'll quit. He wants to win, he just doesn't know how. 

The ignorance and short-sighted nature of this statement is staggering.    How has he failed at his job?   Don't tell me what you wish his job would be or use football as the sole measuring stick.   The mob has spoken.  You want a winning football team; and the way you have defined "winning," you might actually HAVE one as we speak; but because it hasn't happened in the past or with names you wanted, you're complaining.   Have you looked at baseball?  Soccer?  Swimming?  Have you seen what's happening on the basketball floor?   What's starting to happen with volleyball and softball?   Doesn't know how to win??    Why don't you apply for the job, and tell people "I know how to WIN!" and see how far you get.    

Good Lord.   Step outside the low beams for just a second and think about your statement.  

What do you want the football team to be and what do you think it can be realistically?    My assumption is you're smart enough to know the ceiling (consistently, anyway)  in the Big Ten East is 4th, right?   So 8-4 or so is the high water mark; 5-7 wins a year should be the expected norm if you're even halfway reasonable.....    Where is it right now in your eyes?  What needs to change (this is all we're talking about, right?  Football?)?   What happens if Indiana finishes 7-5 or 6-6 and goes to a bowl this season?   

Do you understand the bell cow for Indiana University Sports Properties and Indiana University Athletics is men's basketball?  Do you know that IUSP is still a top 10 revenue producer in the country?  Do you know varsity club donations have broken their own revenue records 5 times under Fred Glass?  Seriously....if football goes to a bowl this season, what will you have left to complain about?   Nothing you're upset with will be true; and I'm really not sure any of it is NOW.

2 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

I mean, by those standards you and I could have been offered the gig. Setting the bar low

If those were the ONLY qualifications....yes.   I'll ask you the same questions :  given the inarguable limitations of the IU job, who can we go get?  Would you rather have a turnstile of coaches or continuity?   If the latter, who's going to come here and stay here given the current division alignment?