Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Guys...but we had an awesome St. Elmo’s shrimp eating contest today during the game. It was so awesome that it ran past it’s time, players were on the field and they were scrambling to get it cleaned up before the ball was snapped. Fred is crushing game day experience!

It was comical...players were yelling for them to get off the field. 

Guys...but we had an awesome St. Elmo’s shrimp eating contest today during the game. It was so awesome that it ran past it’s time, players were on the field and they were scrambling to get it cleaned up before the ball was snapped. Fred is crushing game day experience!
It was comical...players were yelling for them to get off the field. 

To be fair, it was probably more entertaining than the game..

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

IU is already renovating Cook Hall because it was built on the cheap.

A lot of cheap work was done in these renovations. If the goal was to renovate for the sake of checking a box these were successful.

If the goal was to build state of the art facilities that set the bar and were built to last, we failed miserably.

Drop ceilings have become the not so funny running joke for some but the list is endless when looking at things that were put into these or in some cases not put in that is disappointing

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

A lot of cheap work was done in these renovations. If the goal was to renovate for the sake of checking a box these were successful.

If the goal was to build state of the art facilities that set the bar and were built to last, we failed miserably.

Drop ceilings have become the not so funny running joke for some but the list is endless when looking at things that were put into these or in some cases not put in that is disappointing

The reason it became a running is because people were saying one of the reasons the facilities were a joke was because of the drop ceilings. Yet when photos of the facilities from other colleges were posted to show how good they were, wIt for it, they had drop ceilings.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Is it too much to ask to have a football program on par with Iowa or Nothwestern? Seems like we are light years away from even that expectation.

You're correct, IMO.  I'm not an expert or rabid follower of college football, but I've said for years that pouring money into facilities without ever getting serious about hiring a good coach is a recipe for failure.

I've heard the comments that no high profile coach would come to IU, and I get that.  I also understand that the longer we wallow in sub-mediocrity it becomes even more unlikely.  But, we've gone after guys that had no record of accomplishment - both inexperienced and veteran.  Bill Mallory was the best we had and we fired him.  Hoepner looked to be on track to potentially being an great coach, but he was tragically taken.  I just can't accept the notion that we can't find a very good coach while almost every other school has done it at one period or another over the last 30 years.  The hiring of Tom Allen was, IMO, the epitome of feeble, lazy, and uninspired program management.  Nothing against the coach, but good Lord at least FG could have made an effort to upgrade the head coach position by conducting a thorough search.  It's this ongoing lack of seriousness from the AD office (what 3 or 4 who've held that office) that results in me being only a very casual fan of IU football.

15 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Is it too much to ask to have a football program on par with Iowa or Nothwestern? Seems like we are light years away from even that expectation.

In our last bowl, we played the team that is now ranked 10th in the country. Sure hard to see how/where we are improving, especially by comparison.

12 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

You're correct, IMO.  I'm not an expert or rabid follower of college football, but I've said for years that pouring money into facilities without ever getting serious about hiring a good coach is a recipe for failure.

I've heard the comments that no high profile coach would come to IU, and I get that.  I also understand that the longer we wallow in sub-mediocrity it becomes even more unlikely.  But, we've gone after guys that had no record of accomplishment - both inexperienced and veteran.  Bill Mallory was the best we had and we fired him.  Hoepner looked to be on track to potentially being an great coach, but he was tragically taken.  I just can't accept the notion that we can't find a very good coach while almost every other school has done it at one period or another over the last 30 years.  The hiring of Tom Allen was, IMO, the epitome of feeble, lazy, and uninspired program management.  Nothing against the coach, but good Lord at least FG could have made an effort to upgrade the head coach position by conducting a thorough search.  It's this ongoing lack of seriousness from the AD office (what 3 or 4 who've held that office) that results in me being only a very casual fan of IU football.

His hiring of Tom Allen would've been the same thing as firing Tom Crean, then making Tim Buckley the head coach. That he didn't even search for a coach remains very exasperating -- at least to me. Or since the timing of Wilson's dismissal wasn't great, why not name Allen the interim coach and then conduct a thorough, national search?

I'm not abdicating one way or the other, but it almost feels like he's taking a basketball approach to football.  One of the reasons we have Tom Allen is because he's a Indiana/local guy. No direct ties to the university (perhaps I'm wrong?) but is local. He has ties to area high school coaches due to his past. Then Glass removes names from jerseys. Great in basketball. Not so much in football. It feels like he's painting with too broad of a brush. The programs are different. Don't treat them like they are the same.

Perhaps the correlation is weak.  Just something I noticed is all. 

I'm not abdicating one way or the other, but it almost feels like he's taking a basketball approach to football.  One of the reasons we have Tom Allen is because he's a Indiana/local guy. No direct ties to the university (perhaps I'm wrong?) but is local. He has ties to area high school coaches due to his past. Then Glass removes names from jerseys. Great in basketball. Not so much in football. It feels like he's painting with too broad of a brush. The programs are different. Don't treat them like they are the same.

Perhaps the correlation is weak.  Just something I noticed is all. 

Good to know that you will be remaining with us for the foreseeable future!

Sorry, couldn’t resist....

His hiring of Tom Allen would've been the same thing as firing Tom Crean, then making Tim Buckley the head coach. That he didn't even search for a coach remains very exasperating -- at least to me. Or since the timing of Wilson's dismissal wasn't great, why not name Allen the interim coach and then conduct a thorough, national search?

This is not really a good comparison at all. When Allen came in and coached the D only he did something extraordinary with this unit and had that side of the ball playing at an incredible level for Indiana.

Now was that enough to make him the HC? I don’t know but Allen did justify being considered given his ability to turn a historically dismal unit into a very strong D.

This is not really a good comparison at all. When Allen came in and coached the D only he did something extraordinary with this unit and had that side of the ball playing at an incredible level for Indiana.

Now was that enough to make him the HC? I don’t know but Allen did justify being considered given his ability to turn a historically dismal unit into a very strong D.

I think the problem is that he seems to be the only one that was considered.

11 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

The issue is Glass couldn't be bothered to even do a search.  He woke up and said 'good enough, you're hired' to the first person he ran in to.

2 hours ago, 8bucks said:

Actually, it's a very apt comparison. Allen did absolutely nothing to be given the keys to a B1G program. Nothing. He'd been at IU for all of one season ... Likewise, Buckley wouldn't have done anything to deserve the gig. 

5 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

The issue is Glass couldn't be bothered to even do a search.  He woke up and said 'good enough, you're hired' to the first person he ran in to.

Not exactly.   Glass, like any AD at Indiana would be faced with several questions :

1)   Who is on the list of people who would accept this job?

2)   Who is on the list of people who would take the job and STAY in the job?

3)  Who is on the list who can keep continuity of what we want to do at IU (I don't agree with this, but it's a reality)?

4)  Who fits our budget?

5)  Who wants to be here?

Tom Allen fit those criteria.  It's not as simple as a warm body Glass happened to know.  Other coaches were absolutely considered and others were contacted.   I know that to be 100% fact.  But....Tom Allen was in-house; and based on several criteria, was offered the opportunity to become the head coach.   Last Saturday was not the barometer for IU.   Plenty of upcoming Saturdays ARE.  Tom Allen has the rest of this season to prove himself or not.

14 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Not exactly.   Glass, like any AD at Indiana would be faced with several questions :

1)   Who is on the list of people who would accept this job?

2)   Who is on the list of people who would take the job and STAY in the job?

3)  Who is on the list who can keep continuity of what we want to do at IU (I don't agree with this, but it's a reality)?

4)  Who fits our budget?

5)  Who wants to be here?

Tom Allen fit those criteria.  It's not as simple as a warm body Glass happened to know.  Other coaches were absolutely considered and others were contacted.   I know that to be 100% fact.  But....Tom Allen was in-house; and based on several criteria, was offered the opportunity to become the head coach.   Last Saturday was not the barometer for IU.   Plenty of upcoming Saturdays ARE.  Tom Allen has the rest of this season to prove himself or not.

Who cares if someone is likely to take the job and stay at the job? You can't focus your job search on people who would be willing to stay long term. That's a great way to limit the pool and focus on subpar candidates. Allen is willing to stay at Indiana because he knows he's not getting a better gig. 

Who cares if someone is likely to take the job and stay at the job? You can't focus your job search on people who would be willing to stay long term. That's a great way to limit the pool and focus on subpar candidates. Allen is willing to stay at Indiana because he knows he's not getting a better gig. 

Almost every business recruits and extends offers for any role based on those exact same two points, in addition to being right for the role. So...

28 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

People who believe continuity is better than a carousel care.  You think a carousel is better?   You think Indiana would hit on every one of those who walked through the turnstile?    By making the claim that Indiana would be better off hiring coaches who'd leave for a better gig on a consistent basis, you're admitting we're basically a minor league program and not a destination job, there by making my overall point.     

Who can Indiana hire?  Right now.  Allen goes on an extended vacation....who do you hire?  I don't want to know who you think we missed on, nor do I care.  Right now....today....who's your horse?  And if IU goes to a bowl game, do you feel the same?