Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Lynn Swann resigned as USC’s athletics director today after three years but Fred Glass gets a pass for ELEVEN years of crappy results. Some schools have standards.

Ha the school brought in new leadership. He resigned because he was going to be forced out. Exactly what I have been telling you for months what would have to happen in order for you to get what you want. This was exactly due to leadership changes above Swann. Too funny.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Okay, so what is it...right now.. you're pissed about?   If you don't see the almost universal upgrade of IU Athletics on and off the field/court, you're intellectually dishonest.  

And then of course...there's this.  Speaking of standards.   Although I'm pretty sure this isn't what you meant.

Upgrading years after everyone else and upgrading facilities to be still below peer group in many aspects. 

The alternative is building nothing.  Glass is bringing IU up to the status quo, years after everyone else. (A day late and a dollar short) 

I'd like to see us lead our peer group in something other than the student bill of rights and internal compliance department findings. 

1 hour ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Upgrading years after everyone else and upgrading facilities to be still below peer group in many aspects. 

The alternative is building nothing.  Glass is bringing IU up to the status quo, years after everyone else. (A day late and a dollar short) 

I'd like to see us lead our peer group in something other than the student bill of rights and internal compliance department findings. 

Okay....so you're complaining that we're late?  That what we have....which in many ways is far beyond what other schools offer...happened on a different timeline than you wanted?  I asked what...right now....he was pissed at.  You're complaining about the past.

A dollar short?  In what way are we a dollar short?  Again, you're b*tching about the past.  Our football stadium is what it is, but it's damned nice and in a great setting.  Assembly Hall hasn't been replaced because you can't build that kind of arena now, and it's one of the best home court advantages in college sports.  That's not going away and it shouldn't.  Cook Hall is a terrific facility, but doesn't NEED to be anything other than what it is.  So what if it wasn't one of the first?  (Again, I asked about "right now")  In the last decade, we've upgraded football, basketball, baseball, softball, swimming, golf, wrestling, and volleyball, and probably others I can't think of right now...all with a president who takes money from athletics and gives it to the general fund.

Indiana is a leader in facilities now whether you acknowledge it or not.  Have you seen the new locker rooms for football and basketball?  Have you any idea of the technology available there?  Or the resources?  Our baseball stadium is one of the top 2 or 3 in the Big Ten.  IU also is a leader in revenue.  Indiana University Sports Properties is (I think) still top 5 in the country...speaking of leaders.  

Football is what it is as well.  If you think Indiana is going to consistently beat Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State, I invite you to look at the last 100+ years of history.  You're dreaming if you believe that.  Reality sucks sometimes.  This is one of those times.  IU's football team/program has a ceiling.  You don't want to hear that, but as long as the divisions are what they are....it's true.   We haven't beaten Ohio State since 1988 and Michigan since 1987.  There's a reason.  So...if you want a new coach, who's coming to Indiana with a ceiling of 4th in their own division except for that anomaly we see once every 30 years?   Sometimes...you accept who you are.  Just truth.

Basketball is very much on the upswing for both genders (and I know we care about men's basketball....just saying).  Soccer remains one of the best programs in the country.

What do you people want?  I get the past mistakes....but b*tching about the past is a fool's errand.  So tell me what exactly....right now...you're pissed about.

12 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Okay....so you're complaining that we're late?  That what we have....which in many ways is far beyond what other schools offer...happened on a different timeline than you wanted?  I asked what...right now....he was pissed at.  You're complaining about the past.

A dollar short?  In what way are we a dollar short?  Again, you're b*tching about the past.  Our football stadium is what it is, but it's damned nice and in a great setting.  Assembly Hall hasn't been replaced because you can't build that kind of arena now, and it's one of the best home court advantages in college sports.  That's not going away and it shouldn't.  Cook Hall is a terrific facility, but doesn't NEED to be anything other than what it is.  So what if it wasn't one of the first?  (Again, I asked about "right now")  In the last decade, we've upgraded football, basketball, baseball, softball, swimming, golf, wrestling, and volleyball, and probably others I can't think of right now...all with a president who takes money from athletics and gives it to the general fund.

Indiana is a leader in facilities now whether you acknowledge it or not.  Have you seen the new locker rooms for football and basketball?  Have you any idea of the technology available there?  Or the resources?  Our baseball stadium is one of the top 2 or 3 in the Big Ten.  IU also is a leader in revenue.  Indiana University Sports Properties is (I think) still top 5 in the country...speaking of leaders.  

Football is what it is as well.  If you think Indiana is going to consistently beat Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State, I invite you to look at the last 100+ years of history.  You're dreaming if you believe that.  Reality sucks sometimes.  This is one of those times.  IU's football team/program has a ceiling.  You don't want to hear that, but as long as the divisions are what they are....it's true.   We haven't beaten Ohio State since 1988 and Michigan since 1987.  There's a reason.  So...if you want a new coach, who's coming to Indiana with a ceiling of 4th in their own division except for that anomaly we see once every 30 years?   Sometimes...you accept who you are.  Just truth.

Basketball is very much on the upswing for both genders (and I know we care about men's basketball....just saying).  Soccer remains one of the best programs in the country.

What do you people want?  I get the past mistakes....but b*tching about the past is a fool's errand.  So tell me what exactly....right now...you're pissed about.

I am upset because Fred is not doing anything above and beyond the minimum threshold required when it comes to facilities at power 5 schools.  I'm not upset at what he's done (i'm not complaining that we've updated Assembly Hall). I'm upset he didn't do more, and i'm upset people are acting like he's a visionary/Steve Jobs because he did the minimum the market required for him to keep his job. College sports has became an arms race in regards to facilities.

IU is never the front runner when it comes to facilities. And facilities are literally the only thing Fred has been hanging his hat on. I'm wondering why Fred has never had an original thought and led the Big10 in something other than the student bill of rights. 

Imagine if market dynamics changed and in order to sell your house in your neighborhood and you needed to upgrade your bathrooms and install a pool to be competitive and sell your house at the price you want... That's the college sports facilities arms race... What Fred has done is upgraded the bathrooms/pool to be average to below average when compared against the other houses, and done it years after everyone else. By the time our house is upgraded, others will be doing something else cutting edge and we will be forever behind the 8-ball with him. 

Why am I mad? Because I graduated from a School that is now run by PT Barnum and his Clown Fred Glass. 

I know people were arrested there. Wasn’t a swim coach at IU recently arrested? There have been a ton of scandals under Fred’s “leadership.” IU basketball players were getting in trouble with the law left and right in 2014. Kevin Wilson got away with his bad behavior for YEARS.
What upgrades on the court have their been? Bill Lynch won five games his last season at IU and was a dropped TD pass away from going to a bowl game. Two Fred hires later and the football team still wins just five games a season. Basketball has missed three consecutive NCAA tournaments for the second time under Glass. An entire class of IU students is on the verge of never witnessing an NCAA tournament team.

Wee bit of a difference in the arrests at USC versus here. Our DUIs which were stupid happen everywhere. Thats why players get suspended throughout the year. I have yet to hear an AD needs to be fired for a few of those. Coaches getting pressure? Yep. That’s who those fall on. They have people within Swann’s department arrested by federal agents. Wee bit different.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

48 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

I know people were arrested there. Wasn’t a swim coach at IU recently arrested? There have been a ton of scandals under Fred’s “leadership.” IU basketball players were getting in trouble with the law left and right in 2014. Kevin Wilson got away with his bad behavior for YEARS.

What upgrades on the court have their been? Bill Lynch won five games his last season at IU and was a dropped TD pass away from going to a bowl game. Two Fred hires later and the football team still wins just five games a season. Basketball has missed three consecutive NCAA tournaments for the second time under Glass. An entire class of IU students is on the verge of never witnessing an NCAA tournament team.

I'm not telling you I think Fred Glass has done a terrific job, but you're not being objective.   The basketball situation was handled.  First by Dakich getting rid of the criminals (and sorry to the haters, but that happened), then firing Crean.  If you don't see the improvement on the court (late last season vs. early last season and the year prior) and in recruiting, again, I think you're being intellectually dishonest.  Archie is entering year 2 with his own players, has signed back to back Indiana Mr. Basketball's, and his 2020 class is shaping up very nicely for a guy trying to build a program for long term success.   You don't think adding Brunk, Franklin, Jackson-Davis, and a healthy Hunter will make things a whole hell of a lot better?   You're saying "not yet," which means you're looking in the past.  Open your eyes and look.   Indiana is going to be very good, very deep, and won't have a weak link.  Unlike last season when we had...3 or 4.   Seriously....look.  

Football has depth for the first time since the 1980's.  Recruiting classes are ranking in the 30's.  When's the last time THAT happened?   The problems with the football team are more scheduling than anything.  Indiana starts almost every season 0-3, and I know you don't want to hear that, but it's accurate.   You complain about the "Fred hires," but who DIDN'T he hire?  Clarence Doninger didn't hire Urban Meyer.  That was before the Big Ten divisions.  Who will IU attract when the reasonable consistent ceiling in their own division is 4th?  We could hire a big name or up and comer, but how long would they stay?  Paying a coach $5 million doesn't change the fact that we're in the same division as 3 college football blue bloods.   Saying we should be better than 6-6 or 7-5 every year is the same as saying Minnesota or Rutgers should win the Big Ten in basketball on a consistent basis.

Everything you've given me is old news.  Right now....at this moment...what are you pissed about?  I don't want to hear about Kevin Wilson or Bill Lynch or 2014 or what we're on the verge of because that's hypothetical.  We're also on the verge of being consistently really good.   Right NOW, what is it?  Hit me.

The bigger problem is Michael McRobbie.  This thread should be about him.  Not Fred Glass.   

38 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I'm not telling you I think Fred Glass has done a terrific job, but you're not being objective.   The basketball situation was handled.  First by Dakich getting rid of the criminals (and sorry to the haters, but that happened), then firing Crean.  If you don't see the improvement on the court (late last season vs. early last season and the year prior) and in recruiting, again, I think you're being intellectually dishonest.  Archie is entering year 2 with his own players, has signed back to back Indiana Mr. Basketball's, and his 2020 class is shaping up very nicely for a guy trying to build a program for long term success.   You don't think adding Brunk, Franklin, Jackson-Davis, and a healthy Hunter will make things a whole hell of a lot better?   You're saying "not yet," which means you're looking in the past.  Open your eyes and look.   Indiana is going to be very good, very deep, and won't have a weak link.  Unlike last season when we had...3 or 4.   Seriously....look.  

Football has depth for the first time since the 1980's.  Recruiting classes are ranking in the 30's.  When's the last time THAT happened?   The problems with the football team are more scheduling than anything.  Indiana starts almost every season 0-3, and I know you don't want to hear that, but it's accurate.   You complain about the "Fred hires," but who DIDN'T he hire?  Clarence Doninger didn't hire Urban Meyer.  That was before the Big Ten divisions.  Who will IU attract when the reasonable consistent ceiling in their own division is 4th?  We could hire a big name or up and comer, but how long would they stay?  Paying a coach $5 million doesn't change the fact that we're in the same division as 3 college football blue bloods.   Saying we should be better than 6-6 or 7-5 every year is the same as saying Minnesota or Rutgers should win the Big Ten in basketball on a consistent basis.

Everything you've given me is old news.  Right now....at this moment...what are you pissed about?  I don't want to hear about Kevin Wilson or Bill Lynch or 2014 or what we're on the verge of because that's hypothetical.  We're also on the verge of being consistently really good.   Right NOW, what is it?  Hit me.

The bigger problem is Michael McRobbie.  This thread should be about him.  Not Fred Glass.   

I agree that Michale McRobbie is the bigger problem. However, I have heard from a reliable source that he plans on retiring after the 2020 bicentennial of IU. So since he's not going anywhere until 2021, we just have to sit back and wait it out.  

The Football team could make a bowl and the basketball team could make the tournament this year. However, it seems to be almost a coin flip that the opposite rings true. Time will tell. 

9 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I agree that Michale McRobbie is the bigger problem. However, I have heard from a reliable source that he plans on retiring after the 2020 bicentennial of IU. So since he's not going anywhere until 2021, we just have to sit back and wait it out.  

The Football team could make a bowl and the basketball team could make the tournament this year. However, it seems to be almost a coin flip that the opposite rings true. Time will tell. 

I have no issues with McRobbie getting away from IU, but unless the BOT changes I don't see us getting anyone better.

28 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

It's sad that our athletic program is at a point where we just hope for a bowl appearance or an NCAA tournament appearance. At real sports schools those things are expected. 

31 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I disagree on the basketball team; but even if this season's not what we all want, I think the program is in great shape and getting better.  Time will indeed tell, and I'm more bullish on the future than some are.   Football is what it is.  We can want more, and if we were in Purdue's shoes I'd agree that were reasonable.  In the East?  I don't.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It's sad that our athletic program is at a point where we just hope for a bowl appearance or an NCAA tournament appearance. At real sports schools those things are expected. 

When exactly - in the 100+ year history of the program other than the late 1980's - has the football program been anything other than "hope for a bowl appearance?"  You act like Indiana has fallen into that position, when the opposite is in fact true.

The basketball program is on its way up and the NCAA appearance is a step, not a destination.   Go root for a "real sports school" if that's where your head is.  Take a step back from the b*tching wall and really take an objective look at where things are right now. 

I don't care where things have been.  I've been as vocal as anyone about that.  But right now...today; you're painting a much more dire picture than  is reality.   And yes, IU will get its a$$ kicked on Saturday.   Doesn't change anything.   Like I said earlier, anyone who thinks Indiana should consistently beat Ohio State has to also believe Rutgers should consistently beat Indiana or Michigan State or Wisconsin in basketball.  Call me defeatist if you want to....but truth is what truth is.

16 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

When exactly - in the 100+ year history of the program other than the late 1980's - has the football program been anything other than "hope for a bowl appearance?"  You act like Indiana has fallen into that position, when the opposite is in fact true.

The basketball program is on its way up and the NCAA appearance is a step, not a destination.   Go root for a "real sports school" if that's where your head is.  Take a step back from the b*tching wall and really take an objective look at where things are right now. 

I don't care where things have been.  I've been as vocal as anyone about that.  But right now...today; you're painting a much more dire picture than  is reality.   And yes, IU will get its a$$ kicked on Saturday.   Doesn't change anything.   Like I said earlier, anyone who thinks Indiana should consistently beat Ohio State has to also believe Rutgers should consistently beat Indiana or Michigan State or Wisconsin in basketball.  Call me defeatist if you want to....but truth is what truth is.

Sorry that I want IU to be good at sports, I guess. I don't want to root for another school. I want to root for IU. I want IU to be good. Over the last decade, IU has been anything but good. IU football hasn't had a winning record in 11 seasons, and IU basketball has missed the tournament in 6 of the last 10 years. That is an absolute failure that has happened under the watch of your guy Fred Glass. 

Sure, IU football has always sucked. Doesn't mean they have to suck moving forward. Northwestern really sucked, until they didn't. Now they're a solid program. You can complain about us being in the tougher division, but we don't win when we play teams in the Big 10 West either. 

IU is a school that has a bad football program and an average basketball program right now. Not sure why people think we should be ok with that or why people get mad at Iugradman for pointing that out. Get mad at the people causing this to happen, instead. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Sorry that I want IU to be good at sports, I guess. I don't want to root for another school. I want to root for IU. I want IU to be good. Over the last decade, IU has been anything but good. IU football hasn't had a winning record in 11 seasons, and IU basketball has missed the tournament in 6 of the last 10 years. That is an absolute failure that has happened under the watch of your guy Fred Glass. 

Sure, IU football has always sucked. Doesn't mean they have to suck moving forward. Northwestern really sucked, until they didn't. Now they're a solid program. You can complain about us being in the tougher division, but we don't win when we play teams in the Big 10 West either. 

IU is a school that has a bad football program and an average basketball program right now. Not sure why people think we should be ok with that or why people get mad at Iugradman for pointing that out. Get mad at the people causing this to happen, instead. 

You think I don't want IU to be "good at sports?"   You think people are "okay with" the past several years?  That's an elementary cop out on your part.  You're better than that.   If you want to root for any program, you have to be objective about that program.   I grew up a Reds fan.  I'm STILL a Reds fan.  Do I want them to be good and go to the playoffs every year?  Absolutely.  Same with the Pacers.  But economics are a reality for those teams just like the disadvantages for IU in football are a reality.   Northwestern is in a division where they can compete year in and year out.  Indiana is not.   That's reality.  Same reality Rutgers faces.

Tom Allen's winning % so far at Indiana is .400.  Do you know how many coaches have had a .400 record at Indiana since 1947?   Two.  Bill Mallory and Tom Allen.   Know how many top 35 recruiting classes Indiana had before Tom Allen?  One.  Only...one.  You can deny history all you want.  You can pretend the division doesn't matter to recruiting, coaching hires, etc if you want.  Doesn't make your reality different than reality.

The basketball program is climbing out of mediocrity very quickly.  I can see it even if you can't.  Find me 18 months from now.   You tell me to get mad, I'll tell you to give some credit to the guy who's built the overall IU Athletics program with huge restrictions on him.  You guys can stay pissed all you'd like.  Won't change what IU football is.  What you two are really saying is you want Indiana to be good at football because every other argument is hypothetical if we're looking at "right now."  I think you'll change your tune this winter.  We'll see.   Indiana football is what Indiana football is.   Like I said, you can fight or deny that all you want to.  But....blue bloods and college powers are what they are and have been for 100 years.  Indiana is a middle of the pack team.  In any other conference or division, they're in bowl games every year.  In THIS one?  They're not.  7-5 and the occasional 8-4 is as good as you're going to get on a consistent basis.  If you want to die on the hill that says we can be consistently better, go for it.   But it'll be a lonely death.

49 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Like I said earlier, anyone who thinks Indiana should consistently beat Ohio State has to also believe Rutgers should consistently beat Indiana or Michigan State or Wisconsin in basketball.  Call me defeatist if you want to....but truth is what truth is.

Rutgers has consistently beat Indiana at least. 

If you think about it, Glass has the power to usurp McRobbie, if he became vocal and he rallied the boosters on his behalf, maybe they could force a change at the top. But Glass either loves being "hampered" by McRobbie so that he has a person to blame or he doesn't actually care about winning. 

3 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Rutgers has consistently beat Indiana at least. 

If you think about it, Glass has the power to usurp McRobbie, if he became vocal and he rallied the boosters on his behalf, maybe they could force a change at the top. But Glass either loves being "hampered" by McRobbie so that he has a person to blame or he doesn't actually care about winning. 

Anyone who truly believes anyone within IU's athletic administration "doesn't care about winning" is out of his mind.  Not even worth answering.