Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Also, I guess saying “they have a great bag man” wasn’t an option. But he still could have gone so many other ways.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Well I wonder if that was some shade towards Schilling. Think I remember reading on a UCLA board that he would over promise recruits. 

I should add before I am asked Beard is the only coach in the NCAA I would fire damn near any coach for. I personally think he is just that good.

But the question for you and Southern is this, "do you fire first and hope Beard says yes or fire and then go after him?"
If it is the latter and he turns it down, then what?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

IU makes it hard to admit grad transfers, the academic compliance department is adversarial,  and Archie had to ask repeatedly for basic things like a lounge and decent locker room for the players. Dayton had nicer facilities than IU when Archie got here.
Yea we know. You don fail to remind us at least once a month.

1 hour ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

But the question for you and Southern is this, "do you fire first and hope Beard says yes or fire and then go after him?"

I'd have back channels working in motion. I'd have a mouthpiece talking to his agent to gauge his interest in the matter.. I'd fire Archie for honestly anything under an Elite 8 run this year if Beard was available.

Ya it sucks that Archie wouldn't have ever really been given a chance from some peoples perspective, but I haven't seen anything either on the court or off the court that would tell me that Archie is the right fit. Yes he's recruiting Indiana. but that was the minimum we wanted in a coach what is he doing above and beyond recruiting Indiana kids and also just not being Tom Crean?

Also some other posters have made comments that the IU fanbase has "Turned" on Archie. To me using that narrative to vilify the IU fanbase is bonkers. When Fred announced Archie as our new coach, who did that really excite? Who is Archie really been inspiring lately? Smart posters will not confuse excitement for Romeo Langford as excitement for Archie. As that fades reality will begin to set in.

Realistically tho, Fred Glass doesn't know the difference between a sneeze and a wet fart. Beard will end up somewhere else, just like Brad Stevens. We are stuck with a complete losers mentality from the Athletic Department now until 2021 which is when McRobbie will retire and then either the flood gates open and its a total overhaul of the Athletic Department. or the BOT is so incompetent that they end up hiring McRobbie 2.0 and nothing changes. 

I don’t think any college would fire and hope someone is there. They usually have a good idea. Coaches change their mind all of the time so there is some level of risk. He is the only coach I would for.

If you were a student at the time of the extension (I was too), it should be apparent why he got the extension. He was the most beloved man on campus. He got a team that stunk the three years prior and took IU to the first sweet sixteen in a decade and had the number one team in the country going into 2013.
If you saw the clear and apparent issues at that time, especially if as a student, then you were one of the few. 

There were plenty of people that saw the glaring issues with him in year 2 and 3, let alone in the many years thereafter.

Oldfriend for one got a lot of flack for calling out Creans inadequacies early on but ended up being spot on all along.

The calls for his job were deafening at several points in his tenure.

Given he handed over a program in serious rebuild mode after a decade at the helm should tell you everything.

I think the root problem with athletics and academics at IU always starts with the Board of Trustees. They are mostly appointed by the governor and are by definition political animals that have sucked up to the right politician. Few have any real competencies in administering a multi-billion dollar university. Until the people of Indiana demand better it will never change.  

Edited by Gahoosierfan
Sp

1 hour ago, Gahoosierfan said:

I think the root problem with athletics and academics at IU always start with the Board of Trustees. They are mostly appointed by the governor and are by definition political animals that have sucked up to the right politician. Few have any real competencies in administering a multi-billion dollar university. Until the people of Indiana demand better it will never change.  

6 are appointed by governor but 3 get  voted on by IU alumni. 

PU has all 10 trustees appointed by the Governor.  eek

Edited since I was wrong.

Actually, both are correct. There are 9 IU trustees. Three are elected by alumni and six are appointed by the governor. The participation level in the election is pathetically low and the quality of trustee candidates varies from election to election. The trustees appointed by the governor are not all political hacks but some clearly are. Two appointed trustees are Hoosier sports legends--Quinn Buckner and Harry Gonzo.

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

That is not even remotely accurate.  Our trustees are elected by IU Alumni voting.  

It is PU that has its trustees appointed by the Governor.  How do you think Mitch Daniels got put in as President at Purdue?  I would bet their appointment was based on their willingness to give Mitch a fallback job when he was done as governor.

You are wrong as far as I understand it. 

The board is made up of nine trustees, and its business is overseen by six officers. Three trustees are elected by alumni, and the remainder are appointed by Indiana's governor. The board meets six times a year on IUcampuses around the state.

46 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

The trustees elected by alumni.... leave a lot to be desired. The candidate pool is frequently less than inspiring.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Couple of good people have run recently; but votes are scarce.  The current trustees are entitled, arrogant, and devoid of ideas except on research, buildings with names on them, and celebrations like the current 150 Year.    Pat Shoulders for example?  A complete yes man for McRobbie and as entitled a guy as you'll ever meet.  He has no interest in stirring the pot where he lives.   Most are like that, and the two I know of (Dr. Mike Wilcox in particular) who have run recently and been defeated think like many here do.  Most don't.

34 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Couple of good people have run recently; but votes are scarce.  The current trustees are entitled, arrogant, and devoid of ideas except on research, buildings with names on them, and celebrations like the current 150 Year.    Pat Shoulders for example?  A complete yes man for McRobbie and as entitled a guy as you'll ever meet.  He has no interest in stirring the pot where he lives.   Most are like that, and the two I know of (Dr. Mike Wilcox in particular) who have run recently and been defeated think like many here do.  Most don't.

I read that Brian Davidson could have won, but McRobbie used everything in his power to ensure that Mary Ellen or what ever her name is was re-elected so that McRobbie could have smooth sailing and not be challenged as he continues to be president until his retirement presumably in 2020-2021.

2 hours ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I read that Brian Davidson could have won, but McRobbie used everything in his power to ensure that Mary Ellen or what ever her name is was re-elected so that McRobbie could have smooth sailing and not be challenged as he continues to be president until his retirement presumably in 2020-2021.

That wouldn't surprise me at all.  Michael McRobbie is not someone who likes opposition, and in some ways, he's done very well for Indiana University.  In others?  He's been a disaster.  But...the endowment has grown exponentially; the place looks incredible; more and more applications are being received from international students and from students "out of state."  In his eyes, he's doing well.   I just wish he didn't siphon money from athletics and give to academia.   But...he does.

McRobbie has done a terrible job. He keeps jacking up tuition, the dorms have mold, and he has ignored one of the biggest selling points for the school- its basketball program.

Sports and basketball in particular are the window to the rest of the world. You say Indiana university to someone abroad and they say “basketball” “Bobby Knight”. It keeps people like me that didn’t go there spending time and money. Its just hard to watch someone turn there back on what was one of the coolest things the state of Indiana had. I’ve said this before but if I was born 20 years later I don’t know that I ever would have become the fan I am and would have never tuned into games, traveled around the country to attend games, bought all the gear etc. the a hole is cashing checks he didn’t earn

16 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Sports and basketball in particular are the window to the rest of the world. You say Indiana university to someone abroad and they say “basketball” “Bobby Knight”. It keeps people like me that didn’t go there spending time and money. Its just hard to watch someone turn there back on what was one of the coolest things the state of Indiana had. I’ve said this before but if I was born 20 years later I don’t know that I ever would have become the fan I am and would have never tuned into games, traveled around the country to attend games, bought all the gear etc. the a hole is cashing checks he didn’t earn

Wow, you just got hired and already bashing the pres. :92:

Not disagreeing with anything you've said though.

17 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Sports and basketball in particular are the window to the rest of the world. You say Indiana university to someone abroad and they say “basketball” “Bobby Knight”. It keeps people like me that didn’t go there spending time and money. Its just hard to watch someone turn there back on what was one of the coolest things the state of Indiana had. I’ve said this before but if I was born 20 years later I don’t know that I ever would have become the fan I am and would have never tuned into games, traveled around the country to attend games, bought all the gear etc. the a hole is cashing checks he didn’t earn.

Mike, Mike, Mike.  Now that you're on the payroll, you really have to learn to toe the company line.    :farting_smiley: