Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

1 hour ago, Iugradman said:

McRobbie didn’t make Fred hire a high school coach to lead the football program, or neglect to address the issues that plagued Crean’s time at IU. McRobbie is a problem, but Fred is also a crappy AD.

Tom Allen's recruiting classes are the highest ranked in Indiana history.  We are hamstrung far more by our division than anything else.  His back to back 5-7 seasons have been disappointing, but there have really only been 2-3 losses which have been what I'd call bad ones; two to Purdue, and that's really the problem.    The bigger issue?   They have an advantage in recruiting because they actually have a chance to play for a Big Ten championship and can sell that to recruits.  Indiana really can't.  And....Indiana has played with a very mediocre quarterback for 2 seasons.  Allen is hardly the only problem.   IU football (along with Maryland and Rutgers) has a ceiling and perhaps the most difficult climb in college sports.  I don't think it's close.   That's on Jim Delany; not Tom Allen or Fred Glass.  Allen - when hired by Wilson - took IU's defense to dramatic improvement.   He qualified himself.  That happened in college.  Not high school.

Glass fired Crean.  When was he reasonably supposed to do that before he did it?  Crean always did "just enough,": and his Big Ten titles were spaced out just far enough.   Seriously....when should Glass have been reasonably expected to fire Crean?   No hindsight saying he should have hired Brad Stevens in 2012.   Yep. He should.  And so should have every big school in the country.

Tom Allen's recruiting classes are the highest ranked in Indiana history.  We are hamstrung far more by our division than anything else.  His back to back 5-7 seasons have been disappointing, but there have really only been 2-3 losses which have been what I'd call bad ones; two to Purdue, and that's really the problem.    The bigger issue?   They have an advantage in recruiting because they actually have a chance to play for a Big Ten championship and can sell that to recruits.  Indiana really can't.  And....Indiana has played with a very mediocre quarterback for 2 seasons.  Allen is hardly the only problem.   IU football (along with Maryland and Rutgers) has a ceiling and perhaps the most difficult climb in college sports.  I don't think it's close.   That's on Jim Delany; not Tom Allen or Fred Glass.  Allen - when hired by Wilson - took IU's defense to dramatic improvement.   He qualified himself.  That happened in college.  Not high school.
Glass fired Crean.  When was he reasonably supposed to do that before he did it?  Crean always did "just enough,": and his Big Ten titles were spaced out just far enough.   Seriously....when should Glass have been reasonably expected to fire Crean?   No hindsight saying he should have hired Brad Stevens in 2012.   Yep. He should.  And so should have every big school in the country.

If they are the highest ranked in Indiana history and still not Top 10 in the Big Ten... where are we likely to finish when we have a bad coach?
And Glass should have fired Crean after the 10-11 season. There is no hindsight. Stevens has just been to his 2nd title game. We still would have gotten Cody Zeller and everyone likely would have stayed for a coach who just went to back to back title games.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Im pretty low on Coach Allen. I absolutely hated how undisciplined his team was last year. I thought that he made a lot of game management errors last season. But, you have to give him year 3, and probably year 4 too. If he hasn't gotten us to a bowl game after year four, though, he's gotta go. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Im pretty low on Coach Allen. I absolutely hated how undisciplined his team was last year. I thought that he made a lot of game management errors last season. But, you have to give him year 3, and probably year 4 too. If he hasn't gotten us to a bowl game after year four, though, he's gotta go. 

Football is way different than basketball when turning a program around. I think he made a mistake by bringing in DeBord as his OC. He needed to stay with a OC who was innovative. I think Allen understands the defensive side very well. I think the new OC could be a big addition but you have to give Allen 4-5 years to see what you really got. Recruiting is on the upswing. I don’t understand the fans who constantly want change. All that does is setback your programs. Nobody is turning around football in 2 years. Archie was 1 game away from turning around IU basketball in 2 years. People need to relax a bit. 

Football is way different than basketball when turning a program around. I think he made a mistake by bringing in DeBord as his OC. He needed to stay with a OC who was innovative. I think Allen understands the defensive side very well. I think the new OC could be a big addition but you have to give Allen 4-5 years to see what you really got. Recruiting is on the upswing. I don’t understand the fans who constantly want change. All that does is setback your programs. Nobody is turning around football in 2 years. Archie was 1 game away from turning around IU basketball in 2 years. People need to relax a bit. 

It isn’t just change to change. Allen should have never been HC at anytime of his life at IU. He’s just not good enough. The fact we got him and then Purdue went out and got Brohm. Glass didn’t even try. And 1 game away from turning around IU basketball? What? Even making the NCAA tourney, this season was a failure. Just because you make the NCAA tourney doesn’t mean you ignore the massive problems within the program.

McRobbie didn’t make Fred hire a high school coach to lead the football program, or neglect to address the issues that plagued Crean’s time at IU. McRobbie is a problem, but Fred is also a crappy AD.

I get tired of this lazy attack. Tom Allen was a HS coach back in 2006. Since then he has been a fast rising defensive coach. He was a successful defensive coach for South Florida, Ol Miss, Arkansas State just to name a few.

Here is a snippet about the success he had along the way.

Ole Miss
Allen spent three seasons as the linebackers coach and special teams coordinator at Ole Miss under head coach Hugh Freeze. During his time in Oxford, the Rebels went 24–15 and consistently ranked near the top of the FBS in terms of tackles for loss and sacks. Prior to his arrival, Ole Miss had ranked last in the SEC in total defense.

South Florida
In December 2014, Allen was named defensive coordinator at South Florida under third-year head coach Willie Taggart. In his lone season in Tampa, Allen's defensive unit ranked first the American Athletic Conference (AAC) in scoring defense at just 19.6 points per conference game.

Should Glass have done a wider search, probably, but when you replace a coach you either get a mid major HC or an assistant who has had success at a high level.

Allen fits the latter and being from Indiana he may be more likely to stay if he has success.

10 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

It isn’t just change to change. Allen should have never been HC at anytime of his life at IU. He’s just not good enough. The fact we got him and then Purdue went out and got Brohm. Glass didn’t even try. And 1 game away from turning around IU basketball? What? Even making the NCAA tourney, this season was a failure. Just because you make the NCAA tourney doesn’t mean you ignore the massive problems within the program.

So you think reasonable expectations in year 2 of a coaches tenure in basketball is making a deep run in the NCAA tournament? Bc you just said making the tournament wouldn’t have been enough. 

Anyone know why Glass hasn't been vocal on this front at all? Seems like someone should put some pressure on the NCAA rather than keep quiet since this is a huge piece to the IU football puzzle.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

I would agree with this if Allen took over a football team that was in the dumps, but he didn't. By IU standards, the football team was in a much better position than the basketball team when he and Archie took them over.

Allen doesn't need to "turn around football". The program went to back to back bowl games in the two years before he took over. The last time we went to back to back bowl games was in 1990/1991. If he's unable to make a bowl game the next two years then Glass has to make a move before we lose any positive momentum that the program had.

42 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Allen doesn't need to "turn around football". The program went to back to back bowl games in the two years before he took over. The last time we went to back to back bowl games was in 1990/1991. If he's unable to make a bowl game the next two years then Glass has to make a move before we lose any positive momentum that the program had.

He does need to turn around football (to the relatively limited extent that is possible). Maybe it is more correct to say he has to strive to make incremental improvements.

Wilson improved the program somewhat as the offense improved and then, as DC, Allen was instrumental in  improving the defense. The result was that we scared some good teams but Wilson very rarely beat any good, or even average, Big Ten teams.  Yes, we went to bowls his last two seasons at 6-6 each time.  A big factor for squeaking into the bowls is that Purdue was historically terrible. The “improved” Wilson teams won a whopping total of 7 BT games in his last three seasons and 3/7 of those wins were against Hazell at PU (Hazell’s BT record was 3-24 ). One of Wilson’s major weapons was being lucky enough to be the coach when PU was dreadful.   As Old Friend mentioned our division is a virtually impossible mountain to climb and  the QB situation really hampered Allen.  I think the jury is still out on Allen but think we have to realistically look at who Wilson beat in his tenure.  A lot of asterisk wins (ie we almost beat UM, wow we scared OSU) but very few actual good wins.

56 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

He does need to turn around football (to the relatively limited extent that is possible). Maybe it is more correct to say he has to strive to make incremental improvements.

Wilson improved the program somewhat as the offense improved and then, as DC, Allen was instrumental in  improving the defense. The result was that we scared some good teams but Wilson very rarely beat any good, or even average, Big Ten teams.  Yes, we went to bowls his last two seasons at 6-6 each time.  A big factor for squeaking into the bowls is that Purdue was historically terrible. The “improved” Wilson teams won a whopping total of 7 BT games in his last three seasons and 3/7 of those wins were against Hazell at PU (Hazell’s BT record was 3-24 ). One of Wilson’s major weapons was being lucky enough to be the coach when PU was dreadful.   As Old Friend mentioned our division is a virtually impossible mountain to climb and  the QB situation really hampered Allen.  I think the jury is still out on Allen but think we have to realistically look at who Wilson beat in his tenure.  A lot of asterisk wins (ie we almost beat UM, wow we scared OSU) but very few actual good wins.

That describes the last two years with Allen, too. Yes our division makes it tough, but its not impossible to get to 7 wins more often than not. Last year we lost to Minnesota and Purdue. The year before that we lost to Maryland and Purdue. Win those and we're at 7 wins. Brohm took over a team that had won 9 games in 4 years and went 7-6 in his first year. Yes, they have an easier division, but it was still a big turn around. Now that Tuttle has been ruled eligible for next year Allen has no excuse if we don't get to 6 wins.

So you think reasonable expectations in year 2 of a coaches tenure in basketball is making a deep run in the NCAA tournament? Bc you just said making the tournament wouldn’t have been enough. 

We were easily a 5 seed this year. But Archie didn’t have control of anything and this team fell apart. That’s on him. He’s the man over everything.

IU went 0-3 against the Big Ten West last season. The issues with this program go far beyond schedule. Michigan State lost 6 games last season. They were not some juggernaut.
IU came out flat several times against teams with a similar level of talent, including the two losses to Purdue. Allen has had the talent to go bowling. He just isn’t a good coach. Glass gets a pass because the IU fanbase has been lured into having low expectations but that does not exonerate his failures to oversee the program properly.

We easily has the weakest lines in the Big Ten. Both lines got man handled.

I've heard that Fred Glass is entering the transfer portal today. I saw this and it made me laugh. 
Hopefully the candy stripe blazer is in the portal too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk