Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Just saw this article. It looks like Cool Dad negotiated a $20.4 million buyout for Archie. 
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/08/the-10-highest-paid-ncaa-basketball-coaches.html

I'm also seeing Rumors that Bill Self could leave Kansas to go to the NBA and Kansas making Beard an offer he can't refuse. 

Like i said earlier a big boy eill pony up for beard.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Just saw this article. It looks like Cool Dad negotiated a $20.4 million buyout for Archie. 
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/08/the-10-highest-paid-ncaa-basketball-coaches.html

I'm also seeing Rumors that Bill Self could leave Kansas to go to the NBA and Kansas making Beard an offer he can't refuse. 

Holtmann makes 7 million? That is insane as I thought he made like 3 million.

Just now, Bailey7878 said:

Holtmann makes 7 million? That is insane as I thought he made like 3 million.

That $7 mil is just for his first year. They had to structure in his buyout in his first year to help him with taxes. 

As for Beard. I wouldn’t start over again so soon. Speak to me on a year. I actually think Archie is the right guy, if people just be patient. We improved. He is setting the foundation. He is recruiting Indiana kids. He is building for long term stable success. Some of the best coaches now and all time have had to build it up. Go look at K, Izzo, and Jim Calhoun’s records to start their careers at Duke, State, and UConn. They all took 3-4 years to get it where fans were happy. 

This was a rebuild. Not a total construction like Crean, but a rebuild (remodel). Anyone with a brain knew whoever came in after Crean was going to need 3 years to fix the problems, unless we went out and got Cal or Pitino. All I see is IU fans saying they don’t want that style of coach here. Archie couldn’t kick more than Gelon off the team or our APR would be so low we would have been banned from the NCAA’s. Good luck recruiting with that. Archie is making the most of the situation. If we won 1-2 more this year and in the NCAA’s nobody would be talking this ridiculous talk of moving on already. His guys are freshman, relax. 

No, Chris Beard is legit. Would love to have him.
More commentary that we're really good at always finding something better than what we have as a fanbase, especially coaches. There are very few truly great coaches out there at any one time. Our fans will point and yell "SEE?!" after another coach has one good season when we're struggling. It's funny to watch. The Fred Hoidbergs and Brad Underwoods of the world are prime examples.
Also funny seeing the ages of the coaches left in the tournament and who are the greats. Most are 60-70 years old. This is a job that takes decades for individuals to perfect. There are very few outliers, and the odds are very much against you when hiring younger coaches.

I think Mike White is a very good coach but he was the shiny object in recent years too. There will always be shiny new coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

IMO it would take an offer from Kansas or maybe Texas (if they give up on Shaka) to get Beard away from Lubbock. Maybe UCLA, though CB's not a West Coast, Pac-12 guy. Don't think he'd be very interested in IU for any amount of money since he's friends with both Bob and Pat Knight.

At this point in time it would cost somewhere around $40-45 Mil to replace Miller; don't see any way IU can spend that kind of money in 2019. Or 2020 or 2021. I'm afraid we're just gonna have to hope AM can get Watford (doubtful IMO) or some other shooter, and beat out Holtmann for Brunk using Moore's now vacated scholarship.

39 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

That $20.4 million is just the remainder of his contract. We signed him for seven years. To buy him out, we pay 100 percent of his remaining contract. I believe at $3.2 million a year, that would be between $16-17 million now (the $20.4M figure was as of 2018). After March of 2022, we pay him 50 percent of his total remaining contract. ... Not saying I want to buy him out, those are just the figures I've seen. 

39 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Kansas makes great offers to everyone. I think Kansas is potentially a nuclear plant about to meltdown. I wouldn't touch it if I were a young promising coach.

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

That $20.4 million is just the remainder of his contract. We signed him for seven years. To buy him out, we pay 100 percent of his remaining contract. I believe at $3.2 million a year, that would be between $16-17 million now (the $20.4M figure was as of 2018). After March of 2022, we pay him 50 percent of his total remaining contract. ... Not saying I want to buy him out, those are just the figures I've seen. 

That would be offset by what he earns at his next gig.  Crean is earning 3.5M at GA so Archies buyout would in all likelihood be near zero.

Archie needs to be better. I don’t want a new coach. I am frustrated and grumpy.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
I do not really want another coaching search either but archie needs to get this thing moving next year. And we need some new players this spring.

I do not really want another coaching search either but archie needs to get this thing moving next year. And we need some new players this spring.

For gosh sakes, hit a few shots and play hard. Thats all we ask anymore out of IUBB.

Honestly we need about 10 new guys. Our roster kinda stinks.

For gosh sakes, hit a few shots and play hard. Thats all we ask anymore out of IUBB.

Honestly we need about 10 new guys. Our roster kinda stinks.

But we sandwiched our 1-12 with 18-4 so we must have good players. I think it’s a combination of new players (ones that fit) and a come to Jesus moment for the ones sticking around.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, HoosierHighLife said:

Glass needs fired for sure! ASAP

Let Archie go for another year or two if things arent going well by then well it would be time to move on

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

You wait to fire Glass until you see how his 2 big hires do. To early to tell on those 2 and he has done well in other areas. People need to relax. 

13 minutes ago, Feathery said:

You wait to fire Glass until you see how his 2 big hires do. To early to tell on those 2 and he has done well in other areas. People need to relax. 

I mean he’s already had 1 big hire in Wilson and he tied himself to Crean with that stupid extension. 

7 hours ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

We made the NIT in year two of a serious rebuild. That is considered success under this administration, so yes, to them things are great. And why would we change up such a winning last 2 years.

Serious rebuild?   What does that even mean?   The first year Crean Coached at IU....that is a serious rebuild.  Archie just took over a mediocre team.

7 minutes ago, finky said:

Serious rebuild?   What does that even mean?   The first year Crean Coached at IU....that is a serious rebuild.  Archie just took over a mediocre team.

This thread’s namesake’s own words.