Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Any of you ever hear of shiny object syndrome?

Not saying Beard won’t be great, but every year we find another coach to glorify and put on a pedestal.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

He’s made the tourney three out of four years the fresh starts at to schools there’s clearly something there

He’s made the tourney three out of four years the fresh starts at to schools there’s clearly something there

Once again, not saying Beard isn’t the real deal.

Commentary was that we find some coach to glorify every year. It makes it seem like everyone has a better coach that way.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Once again, not saying Beard isn’t the real deal.

Commentary was that we find some coach to glorify every year. It makes it seem like everyone has a better coach that way.

For me I will honestly say there are probably only about a handful coaches you would fire your coach for that shiny new thing. Probably even less now with the greats aging, and not many seemingly greats following. I think Archie can get in that tier but he is young and hasn’t got there. Beard at 46 is a great age. He has won wherever he goes. Does it at both ends. While retooling/reloading. For me that is probably more kneejerk than you are used to because I am a firm believer in stability.

42 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Not saying Beard won’t be great, but every year we find another coach to glorify and put on a pedestal.

He lost (from my count) 6 of his top 7 scorers from an elite 8 trip and GOT BETTER the following year. Finished with a top 4 Defense last year and has the top defense this year. He was an assistant under Knight. Did you see what they did to Michigan last night? They held them to 44 points (16 FIRST HALF POINTS)... Doesn't anyone else remember what that SAME Michigan team did to us at Assembly Hall? Plus he has so much personality with his fireside chats and interviews.  If i'm missing something, please point it out to me. 

Great Coaches like this pop up once every 5 years it seems and he's the best coach that is available for hire since Brad Stevens. 

For me I will honestly say there are probably only about a handful coaches you would fire your coach for that shiny new thing. Probably even less now with the greats aging, and not many seemingly greats following. I think Archie can get in that tier but he is young and hasn’t got there. Beard at 46 is a great age. He has won wherever he goes. Does it at both ends. While retooling/reloading. For me that is probably more kneejerk than you are used to because I am a firm believer in stability.

Beard has had success at 3 schools now. At TT he is proving it at a high major conference which makes it all the more impressive. If there were on thing that would make it more of a slam dunk it would be sustaining that success through a couple of recruiting classes.

Since he has only been at places a few years, it is hard to tell if he can recruit well over the long haul. His quick retooling of this years team is impressive though.

Archie has success at one location and at a lower level.

Sadly though if there was any momentum to replace Archie it would likely result in us moving laterally or bringing in Alford.

To get Beard to come here, where RMK won’t really acknowledge exists, would be difficult though.

I don’t trust our admin to get even close to bringing him in.

3 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Beard has had success at 3 schools now. At TT he is proving it at a high major conference which makes it all the more impressive. If there were on thing that would make it more of a slam dunk it would be sustaining that success through a couple of recruiting classes.

Since he has only been at places a few years, it is hard to tell if he can recruit well over the long haul. His quick retooling of this years team is impressive though.

Archie has success at one location and at a lower level.

Sadly though if there was any momentum to replace Archie it would likely result in us moving laterally or bringing in Alford.

To get Beard to come here, where RMK won’t really acknowledge exists, would be difficult though. 

I don’t trust our admin to get even close to bringing him in.

I agree that our Admin is too inept to make a change in the right direction. But lets say in a hypothetical situation you are the AD. Do you pull the trigger today replace Archie with Beard? Assuming Beard says yes.

I agree that our Admin is too inept to make a change in the right direction. But lets say in a hypothetical situation you are the AD. Do you pull the trigger today replace Archie with Beard? Assuming Beard says yes.

I would also have to factor in the current state of the program regarding things we really don’t know about.

How many kids on the roster now that Archie recruited are looking to transfer.

Has he lost momentum recruiting the state?

What do I think as AD (with more knowledge than I have as a board poster) happened to cause our losing streak. And, is this something that might happen again? Before and after that streak we played well.

After having Archie now for 2 years, is he good to work with? I know from first hand experience that he does not excel at corporate events. After 2 years is he getting better or is this going to be a problem.

If from that I conclude that there are some doubts that he can build a consistent top 25 program in the next 2 years with obvious trending in that direction next year then I develop 2 plans.

Plan 1 is to develop a strategy to reach out to Beard. Let him know you have interest in only 2 coaches at this point in time. Him and Archie. If he would have interest you explore every option to see if he would accept the IU position now. Some coaches will not talk unless you have an opening but I would find a way of arguing that our second choice is Archie and we are not creating an opening just to talk. I would emphasize that we are a patient school as we gave Crean a lot of time.

Plan 2 is to stay with Archie and see if he develops into that next tier of coaches.

Hard to pull off #1 without having Archie being aware but I would try.

13 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I would also have to factor in the current state of the program regarding things we really don’t know about.

How many kids on the roster now that Archie recruited are looking to transfer.

Has he lost momentum recruiting the state?

What do I think as AD (with more knowledge than I have as a board poster) happened to cause our losing streak. And, is this something that might happen again? Before and after that streak we played well.

After having Archie now for 2 years, is he good to work with? I know from first hand experience that he does not excel at corporate events. After 2 years is he getting better or is this going to be a problem.

If from that I conclude that there are some doubts that he can build a consistent top 25 program in the next 2 years with obvious trending in that direction next year then I develop 2 plans.

Plan 1 is to develop a strategy to reach out to Beard. Let him know you have interest in only 2 coaches at this point in time. Him and Archie. If he would have interest you explore every option to see if he would accept the IU position now. Some coaches will not talk unless you have an opening but I would find a way of arguing that our second choice is Archie and we are not creating an opening just to talk. I would emphasize that we are a patient school as we gave Crean a lot of time.

Plan 2 is to stay with Archie and see if he develops into that next tier of coaches.

Hard to pull off #1 without having Archie being aware but I would try.

This is a really impressive and a well thought out response and I agree with what you're saying 100%. 

I would add that as AD I would also have to have a pulse on what Brad Stevens plans our long term, and if there were any indication that he would return to the college ranks I think you would have to evaluate that into the equation as well. 

Also Its not that I dislike Archie, but Beard is just that special in my opinion. 

Beard is staying or I really believe he’s going to 1 of 2 Pac12 schools. Fredinator doesn’t have the balls to make a move like that.

No there is zero chance fred would make a big time move. Thats why we are where we are at. I could see UCLA throwing 6 million at him.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Except we never hire the ones who have runs like beard. We hire ones who have a one time run not back to back runs.

You do it without blinking an eye. You dont let a guy like beard get away if you could get him. But that is just a fantasy. Our admins probably rhink things are going just great with iu bbal.

2 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

You do it without blinking an eye. You dont let a guy like beard get away if you could get him. But that is just a fantasy. Our admins probably rhink things are going just great with iu bbal.

We made the NIT in year two of a serious rebuild. That is considered success under this administration, so yes, to them things are great. And why would we change up such a winning last 2 years.

We made the NIT in year two of a serious rebuild. That is considered success under this administration, so yes, to them things are great. And why would we change up such a winning last 2 years.

Enough with this rebuild nonsense. Crean had a bottom up rebuild. This is not a rebuild fred.

11 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

Enough with this rebuild nonsense. Crean had a bottom up rebuild. This is not a rebuild fred.

You disagree with a lot of posters here but this is a point I hope a lot of people agree on. This was NOT a rebuild. Despite Fred near the end of our losing streak saying, "Oh yeah, by the way this is a rebuild." No it's not, Fred. 

You disagree with a lot of posters here but this is a point I hope a lot of people agree on. This was NOT a rebuild. Despite Fred near the end of our losing streak saying, "Oh yeah, by the way this is a rebuild." No it's not, Fred. 
I disagree because i am incredibly frusturated with the state of the program. And even more frusturated a clown like glass makes decisions regarding the program.

16 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Exactly other than the middle of the season where the team completely didn’t care we were something like 18-4. 

Teams in rebuilding mode don’t go stretches of 12-2 and 6-2 during the season. 

4 hours ago, mdn82 said:

No, Chris Beard is legit. Would love to have him.

More commentary that we're really good at always finding something better than what we have as a fanbase, especially coaches. There are very few truly great coaches out there at any one time. Our fans will point and yell "SEE?!" after another coach has one good season when we're struggling. It's funny to watch. The Fred Hoidbergs and Brad Underwoods of the world are prime examples.

Also funny seeing the ages of the coaches left in the tournament and who are the greats. Most are 60-70 years old. This is a job that takes decades for individuals to perfect. There are very few outliers, and the odds are very much against you when hiring younger coaches.

Just saw this article. It looks like Cool Dad negotiated a $20.4 million buyout for Archie. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/08/the-10-highest-paid-ncaa-basketball-coaches.html

I'm also seeing Rumors that Bill Self could leave Kansas to go to the NBA and Kansas making Beard an offer he can't refuse.