Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

I think IU suffers from a structural problem with governance. The BOT is mostly appointed by the governor. That means you get a lot of political suck-ups running a multi-billion dollar enterprise. And I think the results show it. 

Completely agree

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think IU suffers from a structural problem with governance. The BOT is mostly appointed by the governor. That means you get a lot of political suck-ups running a multi-billion dollar enterprise. And I think the results show it. 

Anyone know if this is a common practice for state schools?

I have to say that there's a pretty stark contrast between our Athletic Department and say Nebraska's.  Traditionally, not a basketball powerhouse, they've had a decent stretch recently but decided it wasn't good enough and are (apparently) going to bring in a new coach.  Now look at our traditionally non-powerhouse football team (that's an understatement) and we bring in assistant coaches to become our head coach - most recently without even conducting any kind of real coaching search.

Taking all that into account, perhaps we should feel pretty lucky to have Archie coaching the BB team.

Great great podcast. I listened to the entire thing.

Biggest takeaway is the talk about Indiana’s compliance office. Snow says most compliance offices work to help BB stay within the rules. Snow says Indiana’s compliance office tries to catch Indiana cheating.

In the day in age where cheating wins, Indiana has directly limited its ceiling by not finding ways to work around/within the system.

Biggest limiting factor imo.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

32 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Biggest takeaway is the talk about Indiana’s compliance office. Snow says most compliance offices work to help BB stay within the rules. Snow says Indiana’s compliance office tries to catch Indiana cheating.

In the day in age where cheating wins, Indiana has directly limited its ceiling by not finding ways to work around/within the system.

But who is over the compliance office? That could be a simple mandate for whoever is in charge to change focus to help the athletic programs work within the rules to maximize recruitment. 

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

Anyone know if this is a common practice for state schools?

Purdue's is set up the same way as ours, but they have one more member who must be a graduate of the school of agriculture. (insert joke here)

The only other two I know off the top of my head are Oklahoma and Texas, who both have fully appointed boards.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Lot of good stuff, but at the same time, kind of depressing as well. Maybe we have a better coach now than we've had in awhile, but this just gives me the impression we'll always be our own worst enemy.

Lot of good stuff, but at the same time, kind of depressing as well. Maybe we have a better coach now than we've had in awhile, but this just gives me the impression we'll always be our own worst enemy.

Kinda where I am as well. Wait and see approach with IUBB for now on for me. No expectations. Treat it like IUFB.

Going to be hard to be a big boy if we aren’t allowed to act like one.

On 3/21/2019 at 1:49 AM, Bailey7878 said:

So we were going to get beilein? Uugghhh.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I've heard it Rick P, Alford, and now Beilein.

Honestly would rather have Rick P or Alford over Crean. Even if Rick P had to be fired, and lets say we had to do a major rebuild where we missed the tournament for 3 years.... Oh wait, that's what happened with Crean. 

I've heard it Rick P, Alford, and now Beilein.

Honestly would rather have Rick P or Alford over Crean. Even if Rick P had to be fired, and lets say we had to do a major rebuild where we missed the tournament for 3 years.... Oh wait, that's what happened with Crean. 
Alford is Crean 2.0

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Couple of things that I particularly noted in the podcast were Snow's comments that at the time of Crean's termination he thought Miller, Mack & Holtmann were the 3 best options.  He also commented that Crean was too intense in his recruiting and the longer he spent recruiting a kid, the less likely he was to land him as with the kid, parents, etc., Crean simply wore out his welcome.   Snow also said that negative player comments on boards - he didn't specifically say btb - did have an impact on the Brooks recruitment.  Went out of his way to state the jury's still out on Jerome's basketball future but he thought it was a real positive he'd been cleared for contact.   Snow also said he thinks Lander and Love are high future IU targets.  He specifically said he didn't see Morton as a difference maker but didn't go into why.  And when he made his comment about IU Compliance that Doc noted on the previous page he added that IU was much too slow to evolve away from Knight.

The podcast runs 2 hours and covers a lot of different topics but from around the 34 to 50 minute mark the conversation was solely about Crean and it ends up with Priller's recruitment and how Snow thought it was a joke when he first heard about it!  

That first 34 minutes is pretty much just social chit chat so you can shorten up your listening commitment by jumping to that 34 min. mark.  It really is worth your time.

Favorite part was the coach that withdraws 500 in cash every day from his personal bank account. 

Thats 182500 to pay to recruits