Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

17 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Women's basketball and baseball were a joke for decades before Glass.  As was the field.  It wasn't even a good high school field; and now we host NCAA Regionals there.   The baseball program is worlds better than it was.   Women's basketball much the same.

Men's basketball is more complicated (see above) than just blaming Glass; and football has had its own issues plus the horribly aligned divisions put Indiana, Rutgers, and Maryland way behind the 8 ball.  I guess it's just not as simple as saying "blame Glass.:

Props to Glass for improving things to where they are in those sports now then. It's disappointing that IU let things get that bad over the years before Glass took over. 

3 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

Appreciate your thoughts but we have suffered a decade of losing under Glass.  We have been passed in football by our arch rival (evidence is head to head). We sit by and are supposed to be patient when a school like Ohio St can beat us like a drum in basketball with a new coach and seemingly less talent (we are told).  Glass screwed up letting Lynch stay. He screwed up by giving Wilson an extension then firing him. He either didn’t know what was going on with Wilson or tried to ignore it and couldn’t.  Whichever way that is spun is negligent. He let Crean stay on far too long and let the program become a joke with players getting arrested, suspended, and forced out.

Ask yourself this: Would this failure be tolerated for as long as it has at any other blue blood or serious program?

Again, there's more to it than the raw numbers.   See above.....I laid it out.  Take a peek and then we can discuss it.  It's not all Glass' mess.

14 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Just to play devils advocate. What other Big 10 schools haven't spend money on huge capital campaigns following the increased School enrollment after the great recession? Another poster had mentioned that although we are taking steps forward, we still have worse facilities than Nebraska. If every AD is improving their facilities, how can we really say that is a strong point of Glass?

I disagree about Nebraska;s facilities, but I'll say Indiana has done about the best it could.   Our facilities are MILES better than they were before.   And some of the most technologically advanced in the country.

I disagree about Nebraska;s facilities, but I'll say Indiana has done about the best it could.   Our facilities are MILES better than they were before.   And some of the most technologically advanced in the country.

That’s awesome. Are facilities are catching up. Give him credit for it and boot his @$$ out the door because the two important teams still aren’t winning.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

7 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I don't disagree with any of this, really.   It just doesn't say "fire Glass" to me.  Northwestern did it without being in the same division as Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State.   Indiana is basically 0-3 starting every season and has to go 6-3 just to get a bowl.   They're hamstrung.   We got screwed.   We have (along with Maryland and Rutgers) the worst and hardest uphill battle in college sports and it's not close.

Damn, man.  You and I are starting to agree more and more.   What are we going to do now????

Lol!! We're gonna have to find other people to argue with if we keep this up.

I do think we might be able to get to a point in football where we can occasionally upset one of those teams. We lost to Penn State by 5 last year. Michigan by 7 the year before that in overtime, and only 10 in 2016. Really the last three years we've had chances to beat Michigan. We lost to OSU by 7 in 2015.. We haven't been able to "break through" yet, but surely one of these years we will. 

If the verdict is still out on Archie then it’s still out on Glass, and that’s where we’re at right now as a program. They’re a package deal, and if you fire Glass now and then Archie becomes successful in the next year or two,  the university really looks foolish. What benefit does it do any of our programs to just fire Glass and let Allen and Miller coach next year with that kind of albatross hanging over both of their programs. 

I’m obviously not happy about how this season went, but it’s not like we’re sputtering down the drain here, and that applies to football as well. Both programs were literally one win away from being at a level this fanbase would have accepted for this year. One win. One win from being bowl eligible and one win (likely) from making the NCAAT in year two. 

Yes, both are benchmarks for progress, but without context they’re also not reflective of how far away a program is from competing. Both 1-11 and 5-7 football teams miss out on bowls. Both 17-15 and 6-25 basketball teams miss the tournament. 

Defense has improved in both sports and recruiting has improved in both sports. Now we just need scoring and consistency, two things that tend to occur after talented players gain some experience playing in a system for a few years. 

10 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

If the verdict is still out on Archie then it’s still out on Glass, and that’s where we’re at right now as a program. They’re a package deal, and if you fire Glass now and then Archie becomes successful in the next year or two,  the university really looks foolish. What benefit does it do any of our programs to just fire Glass and let Allen and Miller coach next year with that kind of albatross hanging over both of their programs. 

I’m obviously not happy about how this season went, but it’s not like we’re sputtering down the drain here, and that applies to football as well. Both programs were literally one win away from being at a level this fanbase would have accepted for this year. One win. One win from being bowl eligible and one win (likely) from making the NCAAT in year two. 

Yes, both are benchmarks for progress, but without context they’re also not reflective of how far away a program is from competing. Both 1-11 and 5-7 football teams miss out on bowls. Both 17-15 and 6-25 basketball teams miss the tournament. 

Defense has improved in both sports and recruiting has improved in both sports. Now we just need scoring and consistency, two things that tend to occur after talented players gain some experience playing in a system for a few years. 

Glass has been here a decade a lot less time than Archie. 

And in his decade out of a possible 20 Bowl Games and NCAA tourneys our money making programs have gone to what 6?

1 hour ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Just to play devils advocate. What other Big 10 schools haven't spend money on huge capital campaigns following the increased School enrollment after the great recession? Another poster had mentioned that although we are taking steps forward, we still have worse facilities than Nebraska. If every AD is improving their facilities, how can we really say that is a strong point of Glass?

I got a chuckle about Nebraska facilities. Nebraska has some of the best facilities in the country. I’d say the Big Ten as a whole needed upgrades in facilities to try and keep up with the southern and coastal schools that were dominating. It’s a strong point for Fred bc he recognized it and has been working to get to an even playing field. 

Other fanbases regard IU athletics as a joke and that is because of football and basketball. Nobody cares about women’s rowing or water polo. The athletics department can spin and deflect all they want but public perception of success is based on the performance of two sports and two sports only.

I didn’t know other fanbases opinions mattered now. Thank you for clearing that up. Can I ask? Do you truly sit in a quiet room trying to conjure up different angles for your weird obsessions? Because it would have honestly taken me 100 years to get to this level, let alone post this insignificant craziness, err I mean “public perception - ”. What is the athletic department exactly spinning?

7 hours ago, Iugradman said:

Other fanbases regard IU athletics as a joke and that is because of football and basketball. Nobody cares about women’s rowing or water polo. The athletics department can spin and deflect all they want but public perception of success is based on the performance of two sports and two sports only.

Your are delusional! No one outside of the state of Indiana cares about our athletic department.

37 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Public perception matters. It influences media coverage and the brand value of a university. Basketball was one of the things IU was known for across the country. That isn’t the case anymore. None of this is controversial. It is the truth. I am sorry it gets your panties in such a wad.

You’re right it matters. The step back in perception goes well above Fred Glass. It goes back to a culture implemented as soon as Knight was fired. You are directing your anger at the wrong person. The powers that be at the school do not want to be known as a basketball or sporting school. They are academics. They don’t want big name coaches who will be a singular face of the university. So Fred has done a great job of getting someone who is considered one of, if not the, top young coach in the game. If Fred is right, he just hired the guy who will outlast the McRobbie regime. He hired the guy that should have us stocked with 4 year experienced talent, as the 1 and done rule goes away. Which means Archie can become the face of a successful basketball program and school under different leadership at the top. If he is wrong, then both will be gone in 2-3 years. 

People outside of our fan base and Purdue don’t care about our athletic department.

They do care. They either find us a joke or want to see it get better. It is all based off football and basketball. I don’t know about it with whole fan bases. I’d say it probably differs from person to person. Purdue fans probably see us as a joke at this point in both sports. With the UK fans I’ve interacted with it’s been both. No one really cares about our football program. That is true. But that’s because it is trash. So why would they care about it? But basketball is considered a joke because “this is Indiana” and we have sucked. Others in some fan bases would like to see us be great again because it’s good for college basketball.

Public perception matters. It influences media coverage and the brand value of a university. Basketball was one of the things IU was known for across the country. That isn’t the case anymore. None of this is controversial. It is the truth. I am sorry it gets your panties in such a wad.

Ahhh media coverage. So you think all of our national games or coverage has dropped? Lmao my panties aren’t in a wad. You don’t see me spitting crazy non-sensical bs. It hurts we don’t have as many cbs and ESPN games we normally have. Smfh

They do care. They either find us a joke or want to see it get better. It is all based off football and basketball. I don’t know about it with whole fan bases. I’d say it probably differs from person to person. Purdue fans probably see us as a joke at this point in both sports. With the UK fans I’ve interacted with it’s been both. No one really cares about our football program. That is true. But that’s because it is trash. So why would they care about it? But basketball is considered a joke because “this is Indiana” and we have sucked. Others in some fan bases would like to see us be great again because it’s good for college basketball.

Yes all of the people outside of our fan base give a damn about our football program and magically always have. Must have missed that the last 37 years of my life. I apologize. Basketball we have sucked. But if you guys think changing an AD without making changes higher on the food chain changes anything you are nuts.

9 hours ago, mdn82 said:

I didn’t know other fanbases opinions mattered now. Thank you for clearing that up. Can I ask? Do you truly sit in a quiet room trying to conjure up different angles for your weird obsessions? Because it would have honestly taken me 100 years to get to this level, let alone post this insignificant craziness, err I mean “public perception - emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png”. What is the athletic department exactly spinning?

Public perception is very important and IU has a very poor reputation around the country. IU football compared to all schools in the power five is probably close to last place all time. And the athletic department deflects every time football and basketball failures are mentioned and begins to talk up water polo and rowing. That is the spin. It takes the spotlight off the revenue sports that IU does so poorly in. 

Public perception is very important and IU has a very poor reputation around the country. IU football compared to all schools in the power five is probably close to last place all time. And the athletic department deflects every time football and basketball failures are mentioned and begins to talk up water polo and rowing. That is the spin. It takes the spotlight off the revenue sports that IU does so poorly in. 

Can’t say I have ever seen them do that and I live here. If you could point me in a direction where I can find them doing that I would be much appreciated. We all know how people in our area view our football program. Nobody outside of this area and 95% within it don’t even think about it let alone care about it. I have yet to leave state and have a single person discuss our football program. They discuss Bob Knight and IU basketball. That’s it. They don’t care about our football program.