Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Okay, let's boil this down.   When Archie was hired, many people here and elsewhere lauded it because he was thought of as a great and young up and coming coach.   He may still be, despite this season's record.   How can you take what Archie has done (with ONE recruiting class of his own), criticize the roster, which is still largely Crean's, and extrapolate that into "what a terrible athletic director?"
This roster was flawed, injured, and exposed when Phinisee went down.  There is a long explanation of that sentence, but I've already explained in another thread.   Has nothing to do with Fred Glass.   He didn't hire Crean.
Listen, I hate the athlete bill of rights.   It's ridiculous and paralyzing to coaches.  I hate the kumbaya attitude and that there doesn't seem to be a priority on winning in the major sports.   But here are some facts :
1)  Even in football, Indiana is bringing in better players than ever before.  This 2019 recruiting class is its highest ranked in school history.
2)  Last year, for the 6th consecutive year, Indiana set its own graduation success rate.  91% of our athletes graduate.   Fans may not prioritize that, but the powers that be do.  And Indiana had perfect scores in 2018 in 10 sports.  Including men's basketball.
3)  This coming season, Indiana will spend more on its football program than ever before.   For example, Kyle DeBoer will make more than any assistant coach at IU in any sport.
4)  For 5 seasons, Tom Crean led the Big Ten in recruiting spending and for 2 seasons was top 3 in the country.   Our coaches are supported with the resources they need.
5)  The baseball program is having unprecedented success in recent years,
6)  Women's basketball won the post-season NIT a year ago.
7)   Indiana has one of the best aquatics centers in the country and is nationally competitive in both men's and women's swimming and diving.
8)  Men's soccer remains nationally competitive year in and year out
9)  Women's softball - historically awful, is 25-6 and ranked #19 in the country right now.
10)   Indiana University has perhaps the most technologically advanced facilities in America.
11)   IU sports properties is still a top 10 revenue producer in the country and men's basketball top 5.
Now....there are warts, to be sure.  He's cheesy.  He seems to fit the "everybody gets a trophy" persona.  BUT..he did fire Tom Crean because results weren't happening and I think he does know men's basketball has to win. But let's not hold him accountable for being a terrible athletic director.    He's far from it.

We don’t care about baseball. It’s just there if we are good. We don’t care about women’s basketball because well... not many people really do. Maybe if they were actually good yearly. Yea we brought in a “great” 2019 football recruiting class but it wasn’t even in the top 10 of the Big Ten. So what’s that get you when you have terrible coaching? No one cares about swimming. Just another sport that is there. There is a reason tickets to so many sports outside of basketball and football are $5. Although football should be $5 too because they are garbage. Hires are as great often. Look at Shaka at Texas and what has he done there? Cuonzo Martin anywhere he goes and what has he done ever? Baseball, soccer, swimming, women’s basketball don’t mean jack squat. They make no money. The money makers and the only two important sports are men’s basketball and football. Those should be priorities 1-100 and everything follows. Fred Glass does not understand that. He will never understand that. And Indiana will continue being the joke and fossil it is today and it is going to end up biting them in the @$$ as young people grow up to not be fans of IU.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

If he was fired, would there be any interest from any other Big10 schools to hire him? any other Power 5 schools?

I'm well aware that my take is based purely on the success of the basketball team. But that is what he's judged on. The basketball team, not the other sports. 

No..that's not what he's judged on.   Maybe by you.  

How do you know there would be no interest?   Do you know he ran the Indianapolis Capital Improvement Board before he came to Indiana?  Indy's been kinda' successful with sports and conventions; and he's largely to thank for a lot of that.   Don't believe your own judgement of him is everyone else's judgement of him.  Or better yet, look beyond what you consider important.

I don't pretend he's done a great job with everything; but judging Glass because of what happened on the basketball court in Archie's second season with a flawed and injured roster is pretty narrow.   Sorry...

1 minute ago, Joe DeLow said:

We don’t care about baseball. It’s just there if we are good. We don’t care about women’s basketball because well... not many people really do. Maybe if they were actually good yearly. Yea we brought in a “great” 2019 football recruiting class but it wasn’t even in the top 10 of the Big Ten. So what’s that get you when you have terrible coaching? No one cares about swimming. Just another sport that is there. There is a reason tickets to so many sports outside of basketball and football are $5. Although football should be $5 too because they are garbage. Hires are as great often. Look at Shaka at Texas and what has he done there? Cuonzo Martin anywhere he goes and what has he done ever? Baseball, soccer, swimming, women’s basketball don’t mean jack squat. They make no money. The money makers and the only two important sports are men’s basketball and football. Those should be priorities 1-100 and everything follows. Fred Glass does not understand that. He will never understand that. And Indiana will continue being the joke and fossil it is today and it is going to end up biting them in the @$$ as young people grow up to not be fans of IU.

YOU don't care.  As an athletic director...HE cares.  Because he HAS to care.   HIS bosses care.  You don't think Indiana fans cared when we were in the college world series a few years ago??   That's idiotic.   Women's basketball set an attendance record this year by a wide margin.   They had a great crowd with them when they won the NIT and had set attendance records in prior seasons as well.  You don't think people care about Lily King?  Seriously?

Football is paralyzed by its division.  That has nothing to do with Glass.   You're smoking something if you think Indiana can consistently finish higher than 4th in its own division.  That's a reality you just need to swallow.   Until divisions are re-aligned, the situation is what it is.  You can b*tch or you can accept it.

I know Fred Glass.  Known him for over 20 years.  He does understand that.  It's ridiculous of you to think he doesn't, as is thinking YOU know the answers and have the understanding but he doesn't.  You really believe someone who ran the Capital Improvement Board in Indianapolis doesn't understand that basketball (a top revenue producer in the country) and football are his main revenue producers??  Seriously, man.  Get a grip.  His job is to oversee and succeed at 24 sports.  Not 2.  IU produces plenty of revenue....so he's doing his job just fine in that regard.  Why do you think he fired Tom Crean??    

You need to get an understanding of your own.  Why would you bring up Shaka Smart and Cuonzo Martin??   What do they have to do with anything?   Smart is a system coach who's got a .500 record at Texas and has done nothing there.  He'll be fired soon.  If Archie doesn't win, he will be too.  What's your point?   

8 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

No..that's not what he's judged on.   Maybe by you.  

How do you know there would be no interest?   Do you know he ran the Indianapolis Capital Improvement Board before he came to Indiana?  Indy's been kinda' successful with sports and conventions; and he's largely to thank for a lot of that.   Don't believe your own judgement of him is everyone else's judgement of him.  Or better yet, look beyond what you consider important.

I don't pretend he's done a great job with everything; but judging Glass because of what happened on the basketball court in Archie's second season with a flawed and injured roster is pretty narrow.   Sorry...

But any AD at a Big 10 school will be judged on both performances in Basketball and in football. Those are the revenue generating sports. And again i'm not saying that this is a knee jerk reaction to Archie's second season, but what I am saying is that this is the 7th missed tournament in 11 years. All under Fred Glass. So name a Big10 School that will look at his records and see 7 missed basketball tournaments in 11 years and 0 winning football seasons or bowl wins. Name 1 school that will look at that and say "that's our guy". He's not hire-able in the open market.  

If you're on the outside looking in, the records scream poor upper management. 

1 minute ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

But any AD at a Big 10 school will be judged on both performances in Basketball and in football. Those are the revenue generating sports. And again i'm not saying that this is a knee jerk reaction to Archie's second season, but what I am saying is that this is the 7th missed tournament in 11 years. All under Fred Glass. So name a Big10 School that will look at his records and see 7 missed basketball tournaments in 11 years and 0 winning football seasons or bowl wins. Name 1 school that will look at that and say "that's our guy". He's not hire-able in the open market.  

Why are you judging Glass on basketball when his coach has been here for 2 seasons. The 2nd season isn’t finished yet, his only recruiting class is freshmen. If you’re  willing to give Archie 5 years, then Glass should get the same. He didn’t hire Crean, extension yes. But we were also number 1, and a top recruiting class was on the way in. Crean used the leverage to his advantage. But when it was clear Crean wasn’t the guy and he had the support of boosters, he pulled the plug. 

This call for Glass’s head is a just knee jerk reaction, bc people are not patient enough to let Archie build the program back. Since they can’t call for Archie’s head, then by golly someone has to pay. Fire Fred! 

Also, just bc you don’t see a NCAA team next season, doesn’t mean we won’t be one. I see a NCAA team next year. We lacked strong leadership and experience this year. Starting 2 freshman and 2 sophs with a senior leader who admits he wanted to transfer is not the recipe for success. The young guys have gained experience and the senior leader who wanted to transfer is going to graduate. Relax things are improving. Maybe not at your pace but they are. 

What AD’s have been fired recently for failing at Basketball or Football in the B1G since that’s what they are judged on?

Just now, Iugradman said:

If Fred understands the importance of football and basketball, why did he nickel and dime them for years? Why did Archie have to demand basic things like post practice meals and a modern locker room? Why did Fred ignore the APR issues under Crean? Why did it take until 2019 to renovate the football locker room and pay competitive salaries to assistant coaches?

He didn’t nickel and dime basketball. Crean and staff were paid very well. He allowed Crean the largest recruiting budget in the country. That’s not nickel and diming. 

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

Why are you judging Glass on basketball when his coach has been here for 2 seasons. The 2nd season isn’t finished yet, his only recruiting class is freshmen. If you’re  willing to give Archie 5 years, then Glass should get the same. He didn’t hire Crean, extension yes. But we were also number 1, and a top recruiting class was on the way in. Crean used the leverage to his advantage. But when it was clear Crean wasn’t the guy and he had the support of boosters, he pulled the plug. 

This call for Glass’s head is a just knee jerk reaction, bc people are not patient enough to let Archie build the program back. Since they can’t call for Archie’s head, then by golly someone has to pay. Fire Fred! 

Also, just bc you don’t see a NCAA team next season, doesn’t mean we won’t be one. I see a NCAA team next year. We lacked strong leadership and experience this year. Starting 2 freshman and 2 sophs with a senior leader who admits he wanted to transfer is not the recipe for success. The young guys have gained experience and the senior leader who wanted to transfer is going to graduate. Relax things are improving. Maybe not at your pace but they are. 

Basketball is still suffering from the Crean mess which is on Glass.

YOU don't care.  As an athletic director...HE cares.  Because he HAS to care.   HIS bosses care.  You don't think Indiana fans cared when we were in the college world series a few years ago??   That's idiotic.   Women's basketball set an attendance record this year by a wide margin.   They had a great crowd with them when they won the NIT and had set attendance records in prior seasons as well.  You don't think people care about Lily King?  Seriously?
Football is paralyzed by its division.  That has nothing to do with Glass.   You're smoking something if you think Indiana can consistently finish higher than 4th in its own division.  That's a reality you just need to swallow.   Until divisions are re-aligned, the situation is what it is.  You can b*tch or you can accept it.
I know Fred Glass.  Known him for over 20 years.  He does understand that.  It's ridiculous of you to think he doesn't, as is thinking YOU know the answers and have the understanding but he doesn't.  You really believe someone who ran the Capital Improvement Board in Indianapolis doesn't understand that basketball (a top revenue producer in the country) and football are his main revenue producers??  Seriously, man.  Get a grip.  His job is to oversee and succeed at 24 sports.  Not 2.  IU produces plenty of revenue....so he's doing his job just fine in that regard.  Why do you think he fired Tom Crean??    
You need to get an understanding of your own.  Why would you bring up Shaka Smart and Cuonzo Martin??   What do they have to do with anything?   Smart is a system coach who's got a .500 record at Texas and has done nothing there.  He'll be fired soon.  If Archie doesn't win, he will be too.  What's your point?   

His bosses don’t care a bit. You can tell by the fact they don’t care about sports period. Basketball and football just bring in some money. If McRobbie could get rid of sports, he would. His job is to make money, succeed at the two sports that make money and put butts in seats at the two sports that make money. The rest is fluff if good. If men’s basketball and football were great and both top 25 programs yearly, no one would care a bit about the rest of the sports.

10 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Football and men's basketball are our two most important programs and both have been disasters under him. He's been the athletic director for 11 full basketball seasons and 10 full football seasons. The basketball team has missed the NCAA tournament in 7 of his 11 seasons. We missed it four times in the previous 30 years. The football team has had zero winning seasons during his tenure and only two bowl appearances. 

With that said, he's not to blame for everything. There's only so much he can do as the athletic director. If the university's goal for the athletic department is to raise revenue then he has been a big success. But, if the university's goal is to field elite athletic programs, they've failed big time over Fred's tenure. 

If Fred understands the importance of football and basketball, why did he nickel and dime them for years? Why did Archie have to demand basic things like post practice meals and a modern locker room? Why did Fred ignore the APR issues under Crean? Why did it take until 2019 to renovate the football locker room and pay competitive salaries to assistant coaches?

I don’t Believe Glass sets funding for things like salaries, or construction projects. He can ask for it but it’s not guaranteed he gets what he wants.

The BOG sets funding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Joe DeLow said:

His bosses don’t care a bit. You can tell by the fact they don’t care about sports period. Basketball and football just bring in some money. If McRobbie could get rid of sports, he would. His job is to make money, succeed at the two sports that make money and put butts in seats at the two sports that make money. The rest is fluff if good. If men’s basketball and football were great and both top 25 programs yearly, no one would care a bit about the rest of the sports.

McRobbie might not care about sports. I’m surprised we don’t have a thread to fire him to be honest. Fred loves IU and it’s sports. However, he reports to people who don’t give a flying F&$@ about sports. You want a winning culture, then look above Fred Glass and get a president who cares. Also, Mitch Daniels make McRobbie look like an amateur. 

3 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I'm not judging glass based on two years of Archie. I'm judging him based on 11 years on the job. Fred didn't hire Crean, but he could have definitely fired him. The extension also is the SAME thing as hiring him. I definitely see an NCAA team next year. I don't however, see one that is a legitimate candidate to compete for a national title. 

I get Archie has a bad roster, but I am fully blaming Glass for hanging onto Crean for too long which caused this terrible roster. I think had Crean landed Kris Wilkes, Fred would not have fired him. 

2 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I'm not judging glass based on two years of Archie. I'm judging him based on 11 years on the job. Fred didn't hire Crean, but he could have definitely fired him. The extension also is the SAME thing as hiring him. I definitely see an NCAA team next year. I don't however, see one that is a legitimate candidate to compete for a national title. 

I get Archie has a bad roster, but I am fully blaming Glass for hanging onto Crean for too long which caused this terrible roster. I think had Crean landed Kris Wilkes, Fred would not have fired him. 

Unless we go full Kentucky, no coach is going to have a championship caliber team in year 3. To goal should be make the tournament and see what happens from there.