Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Not sure where $145 million, nor the concept of a profit came from. http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Our AD operates at $106 million in expenses with $106 million in revenue. They received a $2.5 million allocation from the school, which is why they are in the black.

So.... yeah.

Not sure where $145 million, nor the concept of a profit came from. http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Our AD operates at $106 million in expenses with $106 million in revenue. They received a $2.5 million allocation from the school, which is why they are in the black.
So.... yeah.

Guessing I don’t get an answer to my question.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Are there any sports that have excelled under Glass? MBB and football have struggled. Baseball has been up and down. Soccer is competitive. WBB and volleyball lag behind others in the conference.

Swimming has done well. So has XC and T&F

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

So.... yeah.

Released 2 weeks ago https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2019/02/08/indiana-university-athletics-report-record-revenues-expenses-2018/2815129002/

'In total, IU’s athletic department reported $122,933,136 in revenues and $116,277,652 in expenses last year'...'The $6,655,484 net profit is IU’s largest in terms of hard dollars (though not when adjusted for inflation) since the NCAA began distributing these reports more than 10 years ago.'

Released 2 weeks ago https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2019/02/08/indiana-university-athletics-report-record-revenues-expenses-2018/2815129002/
'In total, IU’s athletic department reported $122,933,136 in revenues and $116,277,652 in expenses last year'...'The $6,655,484 net profit is IU’s largest in terms of hard dollars (though not when adjusted for inflation) since the NCAA began distributing these reports more than 10 years ago.'

Revenue has doubled under Glass.

B1G TV payouts have doubled in the last 5 years($25 mn to $52 mn) along with FBS Bowl monies (guaranteed $2 mn to $4 mn). 

Yep. I knew that was something they were waiting on to pay coaches more. They spoke about that at an alumni event a few years back. I am pretty sure we split bowl revenue or we used to if we went. More than the 2-4 you posted. Not sure if that changed. That’s how I knew he didn’t know. We have historically been in the red. That’s why when Glass came on he took over the donation campaign they were running and really did a good job for improvements throughout the athletic department. We just didn’t have that before.

It’s not much. But the last I looked(which has been a few years), there were less than 30 D1 schools making a profit in athletics.

Exactly. We weren’t one of them Joe. Until recently. We had to use money from the school which McRobbie did not like. Depending on the various schools and their BOT or however they govern their collective schools determines a lot. Obviously football schools generated more money not including donations. Guessing your most profitable schools are some order of OSU, UM, and Texas. That is changing with the networks. That’s a real good thing.

Thanks! I looked for the overall NCAA report and didn’t search for the Indiana specific one. That’s a tidy 20%ish growth in revenue YoY with only a 10%ish increase in expenses. Nice.

5 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Thanks! I looked for the overall NCAA report and didn’t search for the Indiana specific one. That’s a tidy 20%ish growth in revenue YoY with only a 10%ish increase in expenses. Nice.

https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/big-ten-tv-revenue-distribution-reaches-an-insane-51-million-per-school.html

Big Ten payouts went from $36.3 mn in 2017 to $51.1 mn in 2018 with the new TV deal. Cool Dad's back shouldn't get patted for that.

20 hours ago, mdn82 said:

How much does it cost to run all of the sports we are in? From maintenance, updates, scholarships, housing, and stipends? Just curious.

They usually show about a $2M profit.  They adjust expenses according to revenue...  They could get away with probably 90-95 Million if they wanted to.  I don't see any issues with how the finances are run, my point is and has always been.  Anybody that says hands are tied or they aren't being given what they need, that is just not the case at all.  My understanding is that many of the non money making sports get access to rented planes for recruiting trips at times.  Which is fine and dandy because IU (Big Ten ) has the money...if for some odd reason we had to make major cuts, we have many major cuts that we could make and still operate like most other major college programs.

17 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Guessing I don’t get an answer to my question.

I get it by sending a freedom of information request to https://treasurer.iu.edu.  I tend not to trust USA Today and the Indy Star who use the non audited bullet point memo put together for "Press purposes".

2 hours ago, VO5 said:

Whether or not people agree, I’m seeing more and more of this outside of forum settings. Glass’s days are numbered

Seeing it on twitter, hearing it on JMV, and even my friends are starting to speak up via text. Once people hear 7 missed tournaments in 11 years he becomes hard to defend.  

Who is responsible for the hiring and firing of the AD? is it the board of trustees, or McRobbie? and when would a move be made (if a move were to be made)?

I get it by sending a freedom of information request to https://treasurer.iu.edu.  I tend not to trust USA Today and the Indy Star who use the non audited bullet point memo put together for "Press purposes".

Honestly that wasn’t at you. I appreciate your response honestly. It’s a good discussion point. On the flip side we should really request this annually to post and discuss.

Needed to vent since we're down 20. I hope we still win, but doesn't look promising. Glass needs to go. 7 missed tournaments in 11 years under his watch. Here is a list of all the things he's done wrong (all are my opinion, and are not in any order)

1. The Crean extension. This was so bad considering he gave FCTC the extension AFTER B. Stevens had just been to 2 consecutive NC runs. 

2. The failure to Fire Crean in 2014 when it was apparent he wasn't the right fit.

3. The fact he resigned with Adidas.

4. The handling of Kevin Wilson and the Tom Allen Hire.

5. his 200 page manifesto in which he now designs the mens basketball uniforms

6. His total rebuild comments.