Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

You sure? I mean, I believe you and all. I just don’t remember it that way. Still though, I saw the Cuse loss coming. They were way long up front. We were way short.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app
https://www.sbnation.com/2013/3/17/4117000/ncaa-bracket-2013-seed-list-selection-committee

Just want to remind everyone that his title is Athletic Director, not “Director of Prominent Sports” or “Director of Sports that You Think Are Important”

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Better know what side of the bread gets the butter though.

Yeah. East region. That’s why I always think they were the 4th #1. I believe at the time it was my opinion that the East was the worst draw.

I thought the east was 2nd toughest behind the Midwest that year. People forget that Cuse was a preseason top 10 team that year. They had a tough stretch in conference but they were a better team then a 4 seed. Their defense just caught fire in the tournament. Montana scored 34 and in the elite 8 matchup Marquette scored 39.

39 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Just want to remind everyone that his title is Athletic Director, not “Director of Prominent Sports” or “Director of Sports that You Think Are Important”

This is an important thing to remember when evaluating Glass. Despite his flaws, has had some success in some of the other sports programs. He deserves credit for that.

But, when it comes down to it, more often than not the AD at a P5 school is going to be judged on how wellhis marquee programs do. Since he got the job in October 2008 the football team has had 0 winning seasons and the men's basketball team has missed the tournament in 6 of 10 seasons. Fair or not, that's just not going to cut it, no matter how well the other sports do. 

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This is an important thing to remember when evaluating Glass. Despite his flaws, has had some success in some of the other sports programs. He deserves credit for that.

But, when it comes down to it, more often than not the AD at a P5 school is going to be judged on how wellhis marquee programs do. Since he got the job in October 2008 the football team has had 0 winning seasons and the men's basketball team has missed the tournament in 6 of 10 seasons. Fair or not, that's just not going to cut it, no matter how well the other sports do. 

10 years is a large enough sample size. If past results are any indicator of future performance I would say by 2028 we still have 0 winning seasons and have made it a total of 8 times in 20 years. 

I can agree with that. My confidence level is low in the university hiring the correct people. I am guessing the next time there is a hire for head basketball coach at IU he won’t be a part of it.

He’s gotta know where his job success really comes from. Whether you like it or not, people really don’t care about baseball, soccer until tourney time maybe or women’s sports period. It’s football and men’s basketball. An AD’s job is to have those two being successful or at least one of those to be incredibly successful. Like UK and Duke in basketball or Alabama and Clemson in football.

That really isn’t his job, but it’s a part. If Archie gets fired at any time Glass would be gone.

21 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I can agree with that. My confidence level is low in the university hiring the correct people. I am guessing the next time there is a hire for head basketball coach at IU he won’t be a part of it.

Hopefully that next time will be about 35 years and a few banners from now. 

12 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What has he done that any other AD worth their weight would have not have done? Greenspan was just as good if not better at capital projects than Glass.

Fellas, the changes have to come from the administration and Board of Trustees.  Not Glass.  He's the face and the voice, but not the problem.   He's been told to operate in the black.  And he does.   He's been told Indiana will be different and guarantee scholarships.  And he has.   He's been told it will NOT be about winning, that sports, and especially men's basketball will not be bigger than the university; and that we will be "one team."
Those aren't his initiatives.  They are that of the University administration.   I have maintained for a long time that sports (and in particular a college's most visible entity) are the world's window into that place.   Without men's basketball, what would most people know about Duke?  Would the world know as much about Indiana University as people do without Bob Knight and success of our basketball program?   Not close.  No way.  But....to academes, sports is an afterthought, not a priority or vital tool.  Michael McRobbie has zero interest...and that's not far from absolute truth...in whether or not we hang banners.   He wants to make money and stay out of trouble.  That's how HE defines success.   We define it a little differently, as success on the field/floor is equally or more important; but Fred Glass is as much a fan as we are.  He's just doing his job as defined by those who manage him.  He's not the problem.  You have to remember this is a guy who ran the Indianapolis capital improvement board and was in large part responsible for the sports growth here.  He's not an incompetent guy and far better as a growth minded administrator than Greenspan was.

This is a largely accurate summary of the state of things down there as I’ve been told.

There are significant financial achievements, construction projects, and academic initiatives. McRobbie has spearheaded (which the majority on here do not care about) but others very clearly do. McRobbie did this while significant state budget cuts to higher education were happening due to the Great Recession.

The irony in it is a huge funding source which helped offset the financial problems higher education was facing was/is the Big Ten Network- which was started under McRobbies tenure- so that’ll probably chap some ***** around here.

Until the BOT is pressured to make a change at the highest level or McRobbie heads off for greener pastures- IU athletics will have some extra hurdles to hop to achieve at the highest levels.

I’ve never heard the GT rumors anywhere but the internet, but the BOT do plan to reconvene and discuss McRobbie’s status next spring. So there is that?

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

Fellas, the changes have to come from the administration and Board of Trustees.  Not Glass.  He's the face and the voice, but not the problem.   He's been told to operate in the black.  And he does.   He's been told Indiana will be different and guarantee scholarships.  And he has.   He's been told it will NOT be about winning, that sports, and especially men's basketball will not be bigger than the university; and that we will be "one team."

Those aren't his initiatives.  They are that of the University administration.   I have maintained for a long time that sports (and in particular a college's most visible entity) are the world's window into that place.   Without men's basketball, what would most people know about Duke?  Would the world know as much about Indiana University as people do without Bob Knight and success of our basketball program?   Not close.  No way.  But....to academes, sports is an afterthought, not a priority or vital tool.  Michael McRobbie has zero interest...and that's not far from absolute truth...in whether or not we hang banners.   He wants to make money and stay out of trouble.  That's how HE defines success.   We define it a little differently, as success on the field/floor is equally or more important; but Fred Glass is as much a fan as we are.  He's just doing his job as defined by those who manage him.  He's not the problem.  You have to remember this is a guy who ran the Indianapolis capital improvement board and was in large part responsible for the sports growth here.  He's not an incompetent guy and far better as a growth minded administrator than Greenspan was.

While most of this is true, Glass himself was in charge of all coaching hires.

29 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

What happened to the baseball coach that he hired before the most recent hire?

I'm not sure if this is a rhetorical question or not, but I'll answer anyway: Mississippi State hired him (Chris Lemonis) away from us. 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'm not sure if this is a rhetorical question or not, but I'll answer anyway: Mississippi State hired him (Chris Lemonis) away from us. 

Baseball is the one sport we can be very proud of our success recently and is a great example of losing coaches to greener pastures beats the heck out of dead end coaches.

I am making this reference to football more in that we worry a great coach will get hired away at the first sign of success but as Butler has shown in basketball and we have shown in baseball stacking good coaches who get hired away by elite programs and establishing a winning culture works quite well and allows year in and year out success even with leadership changes. 

It certainly beats the heck out of holding onto mediocre coaches for multiple decades who went nowhere as Butler did with George Theofanis and Joe Sexson and what IU did with Bob Morgan.

This is all true. I strongly disagree with this approach but what really angers me is that IU LIES to the fans by paying lip service to winning while doing little behind the scenes to ensure that actually happens. The nickel and diming of and administrative hurdles imposed on both revenue sports is mind boggling. If winning is not your main priority, then communicate that to the fans. But then the con would be up- people are not going to donate or attend games if they know the truth about the university’s priorities. So IU lies to keep the money flowing in. Inexcusable.

So don’t donate, watch, or attend games?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app