Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB @ Rutgers- Game Thread

So this year is a success comparatively through numbers? Thank goodness

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

Not in the B1G so far this year. I’m just showing where the wins came from. This year isn’t trending to be any better in the B1G
1 win against a winless team (0-9)
1 win against a team (2-8)
1 win against a team (3-7)

Last year as a whole IU beat 0 top 50 teams and 0 tourney team. Last years best win was against a healthy Notre Dame team (that lost to Ball St at home)
At least this year IU has beaten a couple of tourney quality teams in the non conference.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Way more IU fans than Northwestern fans, not even close. It was home game for IU and we still got smoked

There was at least 30% IU fans in attendance tonight. The gym can't be that much bigger than Seymour's high school gym too. 

41 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Dead giant. Our program is just a shell of its former self and our large and out of touch fanbase is a major contributor (if not the main cause) to our mediocrity. The insane amount of pressure we apply to coaching staff’s, from our unrealistic expectations and impatience, make it nearly impossible for any coach to win. It goes way deeper than having the tradition, resources and fanbase. I’m convinced. We lead by fear. You better perform a miracle (in short order) or we’ll make you so damn uncomfortable, you won’t be able to wipe your rear end without second guessing how many squares to uses. We would be doing ourselves a huge favor by doing one of 2 things. 

1. Completely disengage and place our focus elsewhere for a few years.

2. Lend the staff unwavering support for 2-4 years. 

Both of these will allow the staff to operate in a non toxic environment, so that they can actually have a chance at righting this ship. 

Otherwise, we are gonna need a coach like Brad Stevens or some other basketball God to come save us. And guess what? We aren’t gonna get one of these coaches. Why in the hell would they take this job when they can take their pick? 

Bottom line: We all need to adjust our expectations for this program. We haven’t been considered elite in 3 decades. There’s plenty of more attractive options for elite players and coaches that don’t require them to deal with us. 

Archie was almost unanimously regarded as the best up and coming young coach. If he can’t win at Indiana then not many guys can. Not without being cut a blank check for long period of time.

Our fans aren't the reason Mike Davis got a job he hadn't earned, then proceeded to bring his skin color into the mix.

Our fans aren't the reason Kelvin Sampson was hired to keep the NAACP away, and they weren't the reason he broke rules.

Our fans aren't the reason Tom Crean was hired, and didn't make him oversign, burn bridges with every coach in the state, and manage his program like a coked-out banshee on overdrive.

Our fans are pissed because our shitty administrators have taken a tremendous source of pride for the school and the state and completely ruined it. It takes an incredible, almost inconceivable, effort from a large group of people over a long period of time to make that happen, in addition to an absolutely mind-blowing level of incompetence, but it's happened.

16 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Have you watched Archie on the sidelines? It’s clappy 2.0 and that is the first time I have ever used that term clappy, but if it fits Crean it fits Archie too

Archie isn’t clappy. He looks genuinely miserable coaching this team. Problem is he’s not making adjustments.

2 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

Archie isn’t clappy. He looks genuinely miserable coaching this team. Problem is he’s not making adjustments.

I have said that numerous times.  Archie looks like a deer in the headlights.

Last years B1G wins for IU in a league that got 4 teams in the tourney.

1 Penn St win at home (9-9) (IU’s best win in the B1G)
5 wins against teams (4-14)
1 win against a team (3-15)
1 win against a team (8-10)
1 win against a team (6-12)

They still won 9. we have won three vs bottom dwellers

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Dead giant. Our program is just a shell of its former self and our large and out of touch fanbase is a major contributor (if not the main cause) to our mediocrity. The insane amount of pressure we apply to coaching staff’s, from our unrealistic expectations and impatience, make it nearly impossible for any coach to win. It goes way deeper than having the tradition, resources and fanbase. I’m convinced. We lead by fear. You better perform a miracle (in short order) or we’ll make you so damn uncomfortable, you won’t be able to wipe your rear end without second guessing how many squares to uses. We would be doing ourselves a huge favor by doing one of 2 things. 
1. Completely disengage and place our focus elsewhere for a few years.
2. Lend the staff unwavering support for 2-4 years. 
Both of these will allow the staff to operate in a non toxic environment, so that they can actually have a chance at righting this ship. 
Otherwise, we are gonna need a coach like Brad Stevens or some other basketball God to come save us. And guess what? We aren’t gonna get one of these coaches. Why in the hell would they take this job when they can take their pick? 
Bottom line: We all need to adjust our expectations for this program. We haven’t been considered elite in 3 decades. There’s plenty of more attractive options for elite players and coaches that don’t require them to deal with us. 
Archie was almost unanimously regarded as the best up and coming young coach. If he can’t win at Indiana then not many guys can. Not without being cut a blank check for long period of time.

Well they need to quit scheduling us vs duke and carolina like we are some elite school. We deserve Wake Forest.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

UCLA hasn’t done much in awhile and their fans expect better. They have been through several coaches just like we have.
I don’t believe our fans are the reason we suck. We suck because the wrong coaches were hired.
Not saying Archie won’t turn things around, but the last three coaches were here for too long or shouldn’t have been here at all.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Very glad we have Robert Phinisee, but if I ever saw him in person, I think I'd say, "Please, please, please don't ever drive to the basket again when there are two or three 6-6 or  6-7 guys in the lane. That's just not gonna work. You are 6-1 with elevator shows on and you're in college now. Your points are gonna have to come in a different way."

33 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

UCLA hasn’t done much in awhile and their fans expect better. They have been through several coaches just like we have.
I don’t believe our fans are the reason we suck. We suck because the wrong coaches were hired.
Not saying Archie won’t turn things around, but the last three coaches were here for too long or shouldn’t have been here at all.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If Sampson had lasted I think he would've had us back to the final four by now. He was a real solid coach. It's a shame he got the hammer dropped on him for phone calls with all the crap these other coaches have been doing. 

1 hour ago, Magnanimous said:

This is concerning for me, too.  Opening the 2nd half, we are consistently getting beat.  That's a definite problem.

If Sampson had lasted I think he would've had us back to the final four by now. He was a real solid coach. It's a shame he got the hammer dropped on him for phone calls with all the crap these other coaches have been doing. 

Regardless of phone calls or not, he wasn’t going to make it here with the kids he was bringing in, drugs, jail, Fs etc

This is concerning for me, too.  Opening the 2nd half, we are consistently getting beat.  That's a definite problem.

We started the season with slow starts and then picking it up in the second halves. Since, we haven’t mostly sucked in the first and second halves

13 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I’m not sure what he’s looking for with this offense, since it’s nothing but pick and rolls with a second option either being an undersized guy on the block or a mediocre shooter on the opposite side of the arc. It’s not a scheme that is conducive to offense production. 

Unless I’m missing something, we did more moving the ball and setting up off-ball shooters last season. Not sure why he’s limited the offense to just this now. 

He also needs to get our fast breaks going. It’s inexcusable that we can’t take advantage of four on two breaks, especially since our defense does cause a fair amount of turnovers. We’re leaving 12 points a game on the floor by not pushing the ball more off turnovers.