Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB @ Rutgers- Game Thread

1 minute ago, Bailey7878 said:

We will be in a battle with illinois for 13th place.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

That will change the culture for sure.....CBI, here we come.

Lost another game, crap, but one thing that stood out to me last night was in the first half. We starting the game with a purpose, things were going "well", then a couple fouls sends McBob and Fitz in the game. The downward spiral then commenced with uninspired play and the ball movement came to a halt. There has been a lot of speculation over the last month that there is something happening in the locker room, and a possibility to me could be maybe there is something to McBob and Fitz. I know there were mistakes from Damezi, Forrester, and Moore, but at this point let them play and super glue, weld, or hog tie McBob and Fitz to the bench. Seriously, if they are put in the game, pass an open shot, miss another 3 (Fitz), let someone blow past them on D, or 1 more stone hands play, then CAM should pull them on the very next stoppage of play and not put them back unless they are completely out of other options.

So Many injuries. More than usual for any team. Looks to me like they should consider getting rid of strength & conditioning coach for starters. Then move on to whoever the assistants, "The No Names", that are not putting much knowledge base into the situation. Or Archie is a micromanager & doesn't trust them & they are just there to be gophers. Who are these guys anyway. Not vey heralded if I remember right from national talking heads from when he chose them. Sure they may be Midwest guys but their impact is zero. Nobody knows how to teach shooting??? Look @ FTs. I can teach that myself. Looks to me like a weak coaching staff. Other teams work with what players they have and try to run offense & defense around them when their schemes aren't working. Not this coaching staff. Come hell or high water they're going to run the same sets game in game out, win or lose. NOT Flexible!!! NO Adjustments.....In over their heads.

58 minutes ago, ILHoosier said:

So Many injuries. More than usual for any team. Looks to me like they should consider getting rid of strength & conditioning coach for starters. Then move on to whoever the assistants, "The No Names", that are not putting much knowledge base into the situation. Or Archie is a micromanager & doesn't trust them & they are just there to be gophers. Who are these guys anyway. Not vey heralded if I remember right from national talking heads from when he chose them. Sure they may be Midwest guys but their impact is zero. Nobody knows how to teach shooting??? Look @ FTs. I can teach that myself. Looks to me like a weak coaching staff. Other teams work with what players they have and try to run offense & defense around them when their schemes aren't working. Not this coaching staff. Come hell or high water they're going to run the same sets game in game out, win or lose. NOT Flexible!!! NO Adjustments.....In over their heads.

I'm not blaming the S&C coach for the injuries or lack of doing what he's supposed to do.  That said, I don't see our team being better than any other as far as strength, quickness, endurance.

Also, I've kind of had it with what appears a focus during the off season on S&C, jumping contests etc..  The players are here to play basketball and win games, not win body building contests and set records for NBA combine skills.  Scrimmage.  Practice your jump shot, your rebounding skills (cough, holding on to the ball), and work toward at least being a mediocre FT shooting team (would be huge improvement).  It seems like our guy runs things like an NFL training room (where he comes from), where a lot of players work on specific skills or brute strength - basketball players need to supplement playing basketball with training, not make it their main focus.

1 hour ago, ILHoosier said:

Other than flint our assistants are proven assistants. 

16 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Our fans aren't the reason Mike Davis got a job he hadn't earned, then proceeded to bring his skin color into the mix.

Our fans aren't the reason Kelvin Sampson was hired to keep the NAACP away, and they weren't the reason he broke rules.

Our fans aren't the reason Tom Crean was hired, and didn't make him oversign, burn bridges with every coach in the state, and manage his program like a coked-out banshee on overdrive.

Our fans are pissed because our shitty administrators have taken a tremendous source of pride for the school and the state and completely ruined it. It takes an incredible, almost inconceivable, effort from a large group of people over a long period of time to make that happen, in addition to an absolutely mind-blowing level of incompetence, but it's happened.

I completely agree with this, just as I agree with the comment earlier about how the fan base's expectations are what they are because the fan base is so passionate (which makes the program still special to the fans).  What you've said is spot on.

I also agree with HoosierTrav that this hasn't been viewed an elite program in the eyes of anyone outside of its fan base for a long time.  Sure, the year Zeller was here they rose to prominence again, but that prominence was never sustained.  Elite programs remain elite.  Indiana hasn't been that type of program for many years.  

The pressure on the coaching staff to win immediately or else has been an ongoing issue in Bloomington (and elsewhere).  Coaching at Indiana comes with so much pressure, which is why Archie Miller is the highest paid state employee in Indiana.  Fans deserve to see a coach capable of getting players to play to the level expected.  However, I find it unreasonable for fans to expect immediate success with a limited roster (many of whom are not even Archie's recruits). The mentality Archie needs from his players may never be reached by players from a former staff...mindset is not an easy attribute to adjust or change...some have one mindset while others have a different mindset altogether.  

I agree that at times it seems the team is becoming worse, but some of this too can be expected as the coaching staff learns of problem areas and addresses them.  I am hopeful some of the "turning south" we are witnessing is Archie trying to step back and address new issues and players are trying to adjust.  I also am quite certain a lot of it has to do with confidence at this point, especially with a youthful group.  Things are very difficult to swallow right now and blame can be and should be placed on the coaching staff and players.  However, as HoosierTrav stated, the fan base needs more patience from a second year coach.  If Crean was still here and we were witnessing this downward slide, then absolutely holler for his resignation...but, since it's only Archie's second year and he's still trying to build something, I would like to see the fan base give it some more time.  

I know so many people hate Tom Crean as a coach, but I remember watching those teams crawl out of the cellar of college basketball.  Yes, the games were extremely tough to watch much of the time, but I also learned to fall in love with those teams.  They were in Bloomington to bring this program back to relevance.  This year's team and this new coaching staff has far less catching up to do, and I know Archie is here to bring the program back to relevance.  I'm still confident he can, but it will require a little time...something we fans are (understandably) tired of giving.

Lost the team. Lost the season. Lost the fans.
We hoped for better. Much better.
Best thing that could happen is for Glass and Archie to resign.
IMG_0950.jpg.ce3a40df269640e37a9d5289a0cb80ef.jpg

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app
I never thought we would be in this dire of a situation in year two. I thought those days eere behind us.I thought we would be getting slowly better. Its funny all of us going crazy during the romeo recruitment was a waste of time. Team stinks

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

Romeo would make an impact with a coach who knew offense.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He’s legit from 15-18 feet. Getting him the same off-ball looks we set up for Robert Johnson last year would help the offense. I’m not sure why we’ve gone away from it this season.