Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

9 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

At this point, I don't think we've ever gotten an indication that the staff has actually watched him practice or play in person.  He's only a sophomore but it just seems we'd have some evidence that we do have an interest in him.

I haven’t heard about them going to watch him but I have a hard time believing there’s a kid averaging 40 and 8 in Archie’s back yard and we haven’t at least been in contact.

9 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Rob Phinisee disagrees.

I’d like nothing more than to be wrong for that reason. Unfortunately, I’m having a hard time seeing it. I like Archie’s system and his approach to recruiting, and I think IU becomes a perennial threat within the next couple years. However, I also think his system relies on experience and chemistry and that it’s not particularly favorable for young players. Looking at his three recruiting classes and the players Phinisee would be with for 4 years, I can see an elite 8 or final 4 run but I’m not expecting a NC. I think it’s fair to assume it isn’t happening this year. Next year’s roster looks like it will have a lot of talent, but it’ll likely be young and inexperienced talent. The most predictable roster for his junior year will be Phin, Anderson, Hunter, Forrester, Durham, Smith, Moore, Franklin, and maybe TJD. I don’t see a NC team there, even with the addition of an elite freshman. Senior year will likely be Phin, Anderson, Forrester, Moore, Franklin and 8 underclassmen or a combo of underclassmen and grad transfers. However, Archie will be able to balance the roster with guys like Franklin by the time Brown gets to be an upperclassmen.

With all that said, next year could be a big surprise; especially if Romeo stays. We could be looking at a starting 5 of Phinisee, Langford, Brooks, Hunter, and TJD. If that group clicks, they’d be hard to beat.

The biggest problems with Archie recruiting Brown are Khristian Lander and Jalen Blackmon. It’s unlikely we take multiple small guards in one class, and there will have to be a pecking order.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

The biggest problems with Archie recruiting Brown are Khristian Lander and Jalen Blackmon. It’s unlikely we take multiple small guards in one class, and there will have to be a pecking order.

I coveteth Lander over the other two. I coveteth him more than anyone else in that class at any position.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

On 12/20/2018 at 6:34 PM, moyemayhem said:

I could see Archie taking 2, and maybe even all 3 if one of them adds 3-4 more inches. Rob will be a senior and would be the only true PG on our roster that season if we don't pick up another over the next two years. Lander is obviously option 1 from a coaches standpoint  as he is looking like an elite talent (although I think Brown is more important long-term). Given the roster situation, there are multiple ways Archie could pitch Lander the PT he'd be looking for. They could play simultaneously against most teams as Rob will be dependable enough as a scorer to play off the ball IMO, and they would be an ideal tandem for small ball. When we play teams with a lot of size, Rob could start against the more physical PGs with Lander starting against the quicker PGs. Naturally, they'd both be the first ball handler off the bench in any game in which they didn't start. 

Brown would be my choice for the second guard taken. He probably wouldn't see much PT at PG his freshman year, but he obviously has the offensive skills to move off the ball which would improve his chances at seeing PT early in his career. Regardless, he spends a year practicing against two excellent point guards and learning how to run Archie's system. I'd say he's also the most likely to accept this role  considering he's already gone on camera and said IU is his dream school. I don't know about everyone else, but that's the kind of quote that makes a player a top priority in my mind; not that you need much more reason to want a player averaging 40 and 8 as a sophomore. If I'm Miller, Lander is the short term impact player and Brown is the guy that stabilizes my program.

As far as Blackmon is concerned, I have him as a distant third option. I see him as a 6'1" shooting guard at this point and we need someone to run point in that class. I wouldn't go as far as to say i'd be disappointed if he were the only one that committed, but i'd feel like we should've just looked out of state after missing the first two. However, Blackmon was the player I was referencing in the beginning when I said I could see Miller taking all 3 if one added some size. If Jalen gets to 6'4 - 6'5 and maintains his current skill set, he'll be a handful.

Is there some reason it's so hard for people to correctly report what this kid scores? It seems like every game I see conflicting reports. I've seen three different totals reported for tonight.

Maybe because his team plays one of the worst schedules in IHSAA. Might not be much media at these games and just fans.

Maybe because his team plays one of the worst schedules in IHSAA. Might not be much media at these games and just fans.

Sorry but there is plenty of media there to watch him. The problem is fans tweet out stat lines without checking the book before that. Typically their athletic twitter account tweets out his points but they state that it is unofficial in the tweet.

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Is there some reason it's so hard for people to correctly report what this kid scores? It seems like every game I see conflicting reports. I've seen three different totals reported for tonight.

To be fair, does it really matter whether he the reports are off by 3-4 points? If that number is in the 30s pretty much every game, the kid can put the ball in the basket lol. Especially when you consider the fact that HS games, to my knowledge, are still 32 minutes and have no shot clock.

To be fair, does it really matter whether he the reports are off by 3-4 points? If that number is in the 30s pretty much every game, the kid can put the ball in the basket lol. Especially when you consider the fact that HS games, to my knowledge, are still 32 minutes and have no shot clock.

Only to fans.

12 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

FWIW, the 35 pts. I posted last night was tweeted by Blackford Athletics, the school's twitter account and please note it did say unofficially.  

From the Blackford Athletics website -

The varsity boys basketball team used a big second quarter to help get past Randolph Southern, 83-51. After falling behind 4-0 early, the Bruins scored the next 12 points to lead 12-4. The Bruins extended it to 18-10 before the Rebels battled back and got a three at the horn to make it 18-16 Bruins after one. The Bruins then used a 23-7 margin in the second quarter to take control of the game.

Luke Brown had one of his tougher nights from the floor in hitting just 12 of 30 shots, but still managed 35 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists and 8 steals to lead the Bruins. Brown also hit all 9 free throws he took to break his on consecutive free throw record of 44 set last year. He finished the night with 46 straight.

So is this kid B1G material? Those stats are pretty ridiculous. Obviously he's an elite level shooter. This team DESPERATELY needs that.
Who has gone and watched him play?

He isn’t a B1G level player at this time. He was shut down during last years AAU season a couple times by MAC level defenders. His lateral athleticism is his biggest problem that he needs to improve.

He isn’t a B1G level player at this time. He was shut down during last years AAU season a couple times by MAC level defenders. His lateral athleticism is his biggest problem that he needs to improve.

Wasn’t he playing up a year?

Edit: I definitely don’t know so I am just asking. But I thought I had heard that. Unless they are the elite of the elite I don’t necessarily follow this early.

Wasn’t he playing up a year?

Edit: I definitely don’t know so I am just asking. But I thought I had heard that. Unless they are the elite of the elite I don’t necessarily follow this early.

Not real sure I just saw that from Rabby at one point.

In a wild finish Madison Grant 69 Blackford 67.   Luke Brown 36 points 8 assist.  Brown hit 2 FT with 3.1 sec. left to take a 67-66 Blackford lead.  Blackford then fouled a 3-point shooter and he hit all 3 for Madison Grant with 1 sec. remaining.

Brown - 11-22 fg (4-10 from 3), 10-12 ft, 2reb, 8 assist