Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

1 hour ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

You’re correct ...brebuf is up to 25 k ....if you really wanna be floored check out culver ( success factor moved them from 3 A to 4 A this year ) .....living on campuses is 50K per year per student ....how would ya like that bill with two or three children ?  It’s my distinct imprsssion that all the private schools ( cathedral, Bishop custard, black hawk Christian ) CAN offer discounts or paid tuition.  I’m not certain if that applies to

transfers or if they have to get them from junior high to be exempt....regardless...it allows them to cherry pick outside district ....if culver called my 8th grade daughter and said come to school here for free and play these sports and join these clubs I would drag her straight there every step of the way because it’s an amazing educational opportunity ...hard to turn down

I wouldn’t blame parents one bit for taking advantage of the opportunity but, if that’s the case, why don’t the parochial schools in Indiana dominate in athletics the way they do in basically every other state? Just thinking about my time in HS, there could’ve been a school with a starting lineup of Mike Conley, George Hill, Eric Gordon, Rodney Carney, and Greg Oden. Forget number 1 high school team in the nation; that lineup could’ve made a run in the NCAA tourney.

1 hour ago, Bigred3588 said:

I wouldn’t blame parents one bit for taking advantage of the opportunity but, if that’s the case, why don’t the parochial schools in Indiana dominate in athletics the way they do in basically every other state? Just thinking about my time in HS, there could’ve been a school with a starting lineup of Mike Conley, George Hill, Eric Gordon, Rodney Carney, and Greg Oden. Forget number 1 high school team in the nation; that lineup could’ve made a run in the NCAA tourney.

Lol that’s a fair point ! They aren’t as dominant in 4A but if you go back to the initiation of class basketball they have won an astounding number of championships ....I’ll pull the link for you but in 1 and 2 A in particular there is like a 17 year stretch where 3 or 4 schools when every championship 

5 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Lol that’s a fair point ! They aren’t as dominant in 4A but if you go back to the initiation of class basketball they have won an astounding number of championships ....I’ll pull the link for you but in 1 and 2 A in particular there is like a 17 year stretch where 3 or 4 schools when every championship 

So, basically, if there’s 1 Luke Brown averaging 35 a game for a 2A school, he MIGHT be worthy of our 13th scholarship. But if there are multiple D1 players on a 2A parochial team and they schedule a couple  4A schools during the season, they’re good to go.

I know you don’t share that sentiment, I’m just remarking on the logic at play with some of the posters on this board. I’d be willing to bet most of the same guys questioning his size and level of competition we’re thrilled when we landed Yogi and wished we had gotten Blueitt.

15 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

So, basically, if there’s 1 Luke Brown averaging 35 a game for a 2A school, he MIGHT be worthy of our 13th scholarship. But if there are multiple D1 players on a 2A parochial team and they schedule a couple  4A schools during the season, they’re good to go.

I know you don’t share that sentiment, I’m just remarking on the logic at play with some of the posters on this board. I’d be willing to bet most of the same guys questioning his size and level of competition we’re thrilled when we landed Yogi and wished we had gotten Blueitt.

No I actually mostly share that sentiment ..I think competition can be subjective .....I meant the parochial schools haven’t dominated in class 4A exclusively and my theory there is the 4A schools have enough kids and thus a big enough talent pool to bridge the recruitment gap.  Take Carmel with 5000 kids to pick from and that’s the same as cathedral with 2-3 k plus the ability to try and go out of their district.  

I will concede I would have loved to have trevon and watched him regularly at Xavier ...he was much more suited size wise to the D1 game than brown is now plus he had an extra 12 on his vertical to boot.

1 hour ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

No I actually mostly share that sentiment ..I think competition can be subjective .....I meant the parochial schools haven’t dominated in class 4A exclusively and my theory there is the 4A schools have enough kids and thus a big enough talent pool to bridge the recruitment gap.  Take Carmel with 5000 kids to pick from and that’s the same as cathedral with 2-3 k plus the ability to try and go out of their district.  

I will concede I would have loved to have trevon and watched him regularly at Xavier ...he was much more suited size wise to the D1 game than brown is now plus he had an extra 12 on his vertical to boot.

I’m not the least bit worried about his size if we’re talking the college level. Hulls and Ferrell were shorter, Coverdale was about the same height, and we played against two 6’1” point guards this year alone that gave opponents fits (Edwards and Bohannon). People can start the athleticism debate, but that doesn’t concern me much either. A smart player can offset those disadvantages, and Brown appears to be just that.

1 hour ago, Bigred3588 said:

I’m not the least bit worried about his size if we’re talking the college level. Hulls and Ferrell were shorter, Coverdale was about the same height, and we played against two 6’1” point guards this year alone that gave opponents fits (Edwards and Bohannon). People can start the athleticism debate, but that doesn’t concern me much either. A smart player can offset those disadvantages, and Brown appears to be just that.

I really like the bohannon comparison and he absolutely gave us fits ...two Iowa  wins might put us in the tourney last year ...you may think I’m nuts but I’m willing to go on a limb and say brown passes and handles the ball as well now as bohannon did as a sophomore in college 

17 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Bohannon actually has muscle on them bones. Kid has a lot of growing up to do before he’s a B1G player.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Totally agree with you on filling out but keep in mind bohannon was 6’0 170 under his 247 sports senior recruitment page .....brown is already taller and within 12 pounds of that weight with about 36 months still to prep/bulk for college ball ....with the way he has put time in on upper body training I would not be shocked to see him 175-200 as a senior 

2 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

Is there a chance he transfers to a larger school in a better conference or is that out of the question?

99.9% not going anywhere ,...if Hoover passed away and his son didn’t stay for the job would be the the only circumstance I could think of and I’m honestly not even sure that would cause them to leave ....he’s too competitive and has set a goal to win Blackfords first regional ...he’s the type that would rather die trying than move to like a Black hawk Christian where he could walk to a title 

5 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

Is there a chance he transfers to a larger school in a better conference or is that out of the question?

Doubtful. I believe he moved there from the Brownsburg area and was originally going to play for Plainfield. That’s what I was told by a Plainfield coach at least.

1 hour ago, HoosierDYT said:

Thanks for the info. I'm curious to see what the staff decides to do here, but would be interested in pairing him with Lander. Kind of like a short and long term solution

That is not a bad thought at all ...I think Luke could be an off the ball player if needed to .....they have played together in the past 

3 hours ago, Feathery said:

Is this kid a taller Brody Boyd? 

Slightly taller ...I think even if he doesn’t get taller he will have a more sturdy frame than boyd by senior year.  I never got to see Brody in high school I only observed him in college.  Several regular posters here saw him as a high schooler and one even played with him so they might be able to weigh in better. I will tell you from what I saw Luke handles the ball and distributed as well or better as a sophomore than what Boyd could in college.