Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Brian Snow said that he has tried several times to get them to play in the Forum Tipoff game he puts on at Southport each year and Hoover has no interest in playing in it. I also know that several big schools have tried to play them and Hoover won't return phone calls. They like playing the sisters of the poor and have no interest in seeing Brown play against someone good IMO

Well then, other than skill set similarities, that ain't Jordy Hulls. Jordy never backed down from no one no way no how.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Well then, other than skill set similarities, that ain't Jordy Hulls. Jordy never backed down from no one no way no how.

A high school sophomore is responsible for scheduling his school's games? Ok then...

Really interesting last couple of posts.  When Hoover coached the girls program at Logansport, he had Whitney Jennings who would ultimately become Miss Basketball; started out at Iowa but transferred to Butler for her final 2 seasons.  Hoover went out of his way to schedule competition outside of Logansport's typical schedule in order to showcase her talents to people who would otherwise have known very little about her basketball talents.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I only know Hoover through the St. Joeseph's basketball camps he ran for years but I've never been a fan. 

I played at the D-1 camps in Fort Wayne a few times in the early 2000's. He ran it like a drill sergeant and would even monitor the dorms after hours to make sure no one was still awake. I thought he was old then and was shocked when I found out he was still coaching last year.

Blackford may pick up a decent opponent or two for the next couple years, but I wouldn't expect a dramatic schedule overhaul. I'd like to see Blackford play Marion, but Marion fans act like playing a 2A school is some kind of sin.

Brian Snow said that he has tried several times to get them to play in the Forum Tipoff game he puts on at Southport each year and Hoover has no interest in playing in it. I also know that several big schools have tried to play them and Hoover won't return phone calls. They like playing the sisters of the poor and have no interest in seeing Brown play against someone good IMO

I’m just guessing that Hoover knows they would get beat pretty badly since the rest of the team isn’t very good at all. I’m hoping that Blackford gets to play New Castle at some point in sectional so that Luke Brown will have a matchup with Luke Bumbalough who arguably might be playing the best basketball of any guard in the state right now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I am sick of people complaining about the talent level. James Blackmon was a 5 star and he played a local school to me that has almost as many amish at it as regular students and they were able to quiet his effect on the game. In other words I wasn't impressed with him based off the games I watched. This kid is scoring at a high rate and i am sure his opponents at least have a pulse. Kid can shoot i think we need him but i guess we will see if archie wants to keep fielding teams of brick layers and lazy butts or start putting some shooters back in a iu uniform or not

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Blackford may pick up a decent opponent or two for the next couple years, but I wouldn't expect a dramatic schedule overhaul. I'd like to see Blackford play Marion, but Marion fans act like playing a 2A school is some kind of sin.

Point of clarification.  From what I saw on the IHSAA website, Blackford is a 3A school albeit #92 out of 101 (enrollment 558) 3A schools whereas Marion is the largest 3A school (enrollment 1,053)

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/quick resources/Enrollments & Classifications/Boys Basketball Enrollments and Classifications 2017-19.pdf

Point of clarification.  From what I saw on the IHSAA website, Blackford is a 3A school albeit #92 out of 101 (enrollment 558) 3A schools whereas Marion is the largest 3A school (enrollment 1,053)
http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/quick resources/Enrollments & Classifications/Boys Basketball Enrollments and Classifications 2017-19.pdf

Blackford will be a 2A team next year.

Give the kid an offer that will stand under the condition that he improves where the coach wants him to improve. He follows through on his end and coach follows through on his

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Chris007 said:

They like playing the sisters of the poor and have no interest in seeing Brown play against someone good IMO

I think that’s more of an indictment of the team than it is Brown. Brown can put up 40 against double teams and give Blackford a chance to win against the current level of competition. If you put him up against bigger schools that probably won’t be the case. You need at least one more capable player to keep the opposition honest and Blackford doesn’t have it. 

At this point I’m just waiting for AAU season to start. I can’t see him scoring at the rate he does in HS but I think the assist numbers are going to be outrageous. He’s a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t,” type of player. Sag off and he drops 30. Press up and it’s double-digit assists.

I'll make the comparison again.  Brody Boyd played at Union Dugger and their schedule was and is far worse than Blackford's.  Currently, so small they're not even in a sectional; and back when Boyd played, they played schools like Shakamak, Tecumseh, Bloomfield, North Central of Farmersburg, Eminence, White River Valley, and Jac Cen Del.   It's clearly not without precedent that a kid like Boyd or Brown comes out of the cornfields and does some good things at a high college level.  Maybe not as a freshman and maybe not as a sophomore; but Boyd made 195 three pointers at Iowa and was a solid contributor as a junior and senior, starting 29 games as a senior under Alford.

Blackford is in the same sectional as New Castle and Delta, who is undefeated.  We'll likely get to see them play better competition; but their Sagarin rating is 132 of 410, so it's not like they're scraping the bottom.

For the simple sake of reference....one of Blackford's losses was to Northwestern.   Lost 90-79.  Northwestern is 18-1, having beaten Tipton (northern suburb of Indy), Frankfort (where they filmed Blue Chips and a basketball crazy town), Hamilton Heights (just north of Westfield/Carmel), and West Lafayette coached by a guy named David Wood who's been there....25 years, won over 340 games, and knows what the hell he's doing.  Northwestern's defensive average is 47.1.  Blackford scored 32 points above NW's average.

Blackford is 6th in Indiana in scoring; 23rd in scoring margin

Dumb of Hoover to play not a single sectional opponent in the regular season.  Why any coach does that is beyond me.

I'm not suggesting at all that Brown would be an immediate asset; and I know everyone wants kids who will contribute immediately; but I think he's a gamble worth taking.   It should be noted that Blackford - as it says in the video above - lost 61 straight games before he got there; and they are 13-4 this season.

I'll make the comparison again.  Brody Boyd played at Union Dugger and their schedule was and is far worse than Blackford's.  Currently, so small they're not even in a sectional; and back when Boyd played, they played schools like Shakamak, Tecumseh, Bloomfield, North Central of Farmersburg, Eminence, White River Valley, and Jac Cen Del.   It's clearly not without precedent that a kid like Boyd or Brown comes out of the cornfields and does some good things at a high college level.  Maybe not as a freshman and maybe not as a sophomore; but Boyd made 195 three pointers at Iowa and was a solid contributor as a junior and senior, starting 29 games as a senior under Alford.
Blackford is in the same sectional as New Castle and Delta, who is undefeated.  We'll likely get to see them play better competition; but their Sagarin rating is 132 of 410, so it's not like they're scraping the bottom.
For the simple sake of reference....one of Blackford's losses was to Northwestern.   Lost 90-79.  Northwestern is 18-1, having beaten Tipton (northern suburb of Indy), Frankfort (where they filmed Blue Chips and a basketball crazy town), Hamilton Heights (just north of Westfield/Carmel), and West Lafayette coached by a guy named David Wood who's been there....25 years, won over 340 games, and knows what the hell he's doing.  Northwestern's defensive average is 47.1.  Blackford scored 32 points above NW's average.
Blackford is 6th in Indiana in scoring; 23rd in scoring margin
Dumb of Hoover to play not a single sectional opponent in the regular season.  Why any coach does that is beyond me.
I'm not suggesting at all that Brown would be an immediate asset; and I know everyone wants kids who will contribute immediately; but I think he's a gamble worth taking.   It should be noted that Blackford - as it says in the video above - lost 61 straight games before he got there; and they are 13-4 this season.

They are not in a sectional because they closed the school a while back