Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

2 hours ago, ap2345 said:

This didn’t surprise me since Frankton is so limited offensively this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Looked that way ...only brobtson ( spelling ?) and one of their guards had any real scoring ability ...a couple kids looked like they had decent shots but nothing in way of creation for them 

Looked that way ...only brobtson ( spelling ?) and one of their guards had any real scoring ability ...a couple kids looked like they had decent shots but nothing in way of creation for them 

Ethan Bates is the guard but they are very limited because he’s the only guard on varsity and his cousin is there only real guard on JV. So they lack guard depth.

2 hours ago, ap2345 said:

Ethan Bates is the guard but they are very limited because he’s the only guard on varsity and his cousin is there only real guard on JV. So they lack guard depth.

I remember from last years game 5 of their six leading scorers graduated ...Thats difficult to recover from.  You guys’ season going ok ?

I remember from last years game 5 of their six leading scorers graduated ...Thats difficult to recover from.  You guys’ season going ok ?

Yeah they did graduate a lot. Our season is going good. Varsity is playing well and my freshman team is getting better. Just got finished making the trip up to Blackford earlier tonight for a freshman game.

1 hour ago, ap2345 said:

Yeah they did graduate a lot. Our season is going good. Varsity is playing well and my freshman team is getting better. Just got finished making the trip up to Blackford earlier tonight for a freshman game.

How’d it go ? They haven’t won many ...the only two decent kids from that class have been playing jv ...they only have one ball handler 

How’d it go ? They haven’t won many ...the only two decent kids from that class have been playing jv ...they only have one ball handler 

We won 70-23. You’re right about only one ball handler and we limited his scoring and limited Blackford’s ability to get out in transition so they struggled in the half court.

13 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

We won 70-23. You’re right about only one ball handler and we limited his scoring and limited Blackford’s ability to get out in transition so they struggled in the half court.

They’ve been kept around the 20’s most games but 70 in a freshman game is a ton !...my guess is that smith boy May eventually play varsity as a senior and then maybe the Limlee and Martin boy can make the team but likely not play , not sure anyone else from that class will make it...you must have a couple solid kids and a good jv team !

7 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

They’ve been kept around the 20’s most games but 70 in a freshman game is a ton !...my guess is that smith boy May eventually play varsity as a senior and then maybe the Limlee and Martin boy can make the team but likely not play , not sure anyone else from that class will make it...you must have a couple solid kids and a good jv team !

We kept all of our freshman on the freshman team. We've moved a couple up for a couple of jv games. We struggled early with consistency in the effort department but we've gotten better at that the last couple of weeks. I agree with Blackford the Smith kid is the only won that I could see ever contributing consistently. 

Scored 30 in an OT win against south Adams ...I counted 5 assists but could be plus or minus a couple depending on scoring ....They’ve played a couple bad games this year and this was near the top of the list ...might be the least aggressive and most careless I’ve seen luke play also ...especially in coach Hoover’s return 

Blackford at northwestern tonight ...gym only holds a little under 2000 so it will be backed ...if you’re going in person make sure to check if tickets are available as they did an online pre-sale.  Tayson Parker is one of the more athletic players you’ll find in the state for northwestern and I’m betting you’ll see Blackford start the game with Luke guarding him man to man so if you’re curious to see how he defends a top notch athlete this would be a good one to catch live or on YouTube.

On 2/9/2019 at 3:44 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Last Tuesday night Blackford was beaten by Northwestern 90-79 who played a tight man-to-man on Brown and made him work for every point.  He did not make his first bucket until midway through the 2nd Q although he did finish with 34 pts. on 11-21 FG; 5-8 on 3's; 7-7 FT; 2 reb; 7 assts; 4 TO.

My impression is that he's not that efficient at driving the lane and scoring but he's a deadly jump shooter if he has the room.  BHS played a straight man-to-man defense against Northwestern and Brown's responsibility the entire game was Tayson Parker.  Parker scored 41 pts. and beat Brown off the dribble for lay-ups numerous times.  As good of a scorer as he is, Brown's defensive abilities are pretty weak IMO.

My comments from last year's game.  Interesting to compare last year's game to this year's game.

54 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

My comments from last year's game.  Interesting to compare last year's game to this year's game.

I would agree with the comparison that it will be interesting but I disagree about the first quarter last year  ...the first quarter Blackford played a 2/3 zone and got behind 20 something to 6 ...Parker scored 16 points only 6/7 shooting  before they switched to man defense where he became browns assignment ....Im more worried about tonight at northwestern I’m afraid Luke’s teammates are going to shrink a little in this atmosphere ...also Jerry Hoover ( as much as I love him ) has a habit of trying this box and one defense that really allows the other team to stretch the floor and get open 3’s and I have a terrible feeling instead of playing straight man he will put brown on Parker and put the others in a 2-2 box