Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

22 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

How not? Didn't we just say that he played for the Platinum Indy Elite 2021 team? So right there, he must have played against the top talent. Right? 

Your initial question asked if he played against the top kids WITH POSITIVE RESULTS.

He was on the team, for awhile. Then he wasn't. How much and how well did he play? I appreciate the info from Usps and IU/Butler, which is fairly consistent between them, and summarized by Usps as:

He did play with main group most of the summer. During those games he didn’t really do anything that stood out as a High major prospect. His limitations that scouts and coaches were worried about before were still present during the games in the summer. He did good enough to get the attention of mid major and low major programs. If you talk to some scouts they will tell you he quit on the top Indiana elite team when someone close to him pulled him out of an event and didn’t really give any notice. 

Let me put it to you this way:

If Luke Brown, at 6'1", was posting huge scoring numbers playing in a small school farmland high school league in Pennsylvania instead of Indiana, was not ever a featured summer/AAU player, and was not being actively recruited by one single, solitary P5 program, would you still be wanting IU to pursue him? Answer that one, will ya?

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Your initial quest asked if he played against the top kids WITH POSITIVE RESULTS.

He was on the team, for awhile. Then he wasn't. How much and how well did he play? I appreciate the info from Usps and IU/Butler, which is fairly consistent between them, and summarized by Usps as:

He did play with main group most of the summer. During those games he didn’t really do anything that stood out as a High major prospect. His limitations that scouts and coaches were worried about before were still present during the games in the summer. He did good enough to get the attention of mid major and low major programs. If you talk to some scouts they will tell you he quit on the top Indiana elite team when someone close to him pulled him out of an event and didn’t really give any notice. 

If Luke Brown was posting huge scoring numbers playing in a small school farmland high school league in Illinois, was not ever a featured summer/AAU player, and was not being actively recruited by one single, solitary P5 program, would you still be wanting IU to pursue him? Answer that one, will ya?

Ok so I'd say he checked one of two boxes. Played the best competition, but maybe didn't do a lot to get attention.

My last comment was, "Feel like fans who follow recruiting, should be keeping an eye on Brown. Maybe he crushes it this summer? His high school team plays who they play."

I'm not sure about the hypothetical you asked me.. I can tell you that after seeing several talented in-state players come back and stick it to IU, I am trying to be more aware of the "fringe" guys. Especially the ones who score 50+ points and shoot 40% from 3. 

19 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

Ok so I'd say he checked one of two boxes. Played the best competition, but maybe didn't do a lot to get attention.

My last comment was, "Feel like fans who follow recruiting, should be keeping an eye on Brown. Maybe he crushes it this summer? His high school team plays who they play."

I'm not sure about the hypothetical you asked me.. I can tell you that after seeing several talented in-state players come back and stick it to IU, I am trying to be more aware of the "fringe" guys. Especially the ones who score 50+ points and shoot 40% from 3. 

Fair enough. FWIW, if you want staff to keep an eye out and spend time on Luke Brown, I've got a list of thirteen more kids that are arguably outperforming him:

# Name Pos GP Pts PPG FGM FGA FG% 3PM 3P% FTM FT%
1 Markus Robinson - Fr
Finney (Penfield, NY)
G 14 641 45.8              
2 Tommy Murr - Sr
Lindsay Lane Christian Academy (Athens, AL)
PG 24 1084 45.2              
3 Nate Brafford - Jr
Tuscola (Waynesville, NC)
G 15 580 38.7              
4 Tanner Colflesh - Jr
Turkeyfoot Valley Area (Confluence, PA)
G 14 540 38.6              
5 Eddie Brown - Sr
Lighthouse Private Christian Academy (Pensacola, FL)
PG, SG 19 731 38.5              
6 Hunter Johns - Sr
Riverside Christian (Fanning Springs, FL)
PG, SG 12 446 37.2             8
7 Kam Woods - Sr
Pinson Valley (Pinson, AL)
SG, PG 24 864 36.0              
8 Kacen Gantt - Jr
Mount Olive Christian (Athens, LA)
C, F 17 604 35.5              
9 Brett Rumpel - Jr
Seton Catholic Central (Binghamton, NY)
PG, SG 12 422 35.2              
10 LJ Cryer - Sr
Morton Ranch (Katy, TX)
G 23 801 34.8              
11 Brayden Sipple - Jr
Blanchester (OH)
  14 480 34.3              
12 Coby Williams - Sr
Versailles (MO)
PG, SG 12 411 34.3              
13 KHALIL BRANTLEY - So
Boys & Girls (Brooklyn, NY)
G 20 684 34.2              
14 Luke Brown - Jr
Blackford (Hartford City, IN)
PG 12 407 33.9              

19 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Fair enough. FWIW, if you want staff to keep an eye out and spend time on Luke Brown, I've got a list of thirteen more kids that are arguably outperforming him:

# Name Pos GP Pts PPG FGM FGA FG% 3PM 3P% FTM FT%
1 Markus Robinson - Fr
Finney (Penfield, NY)
G 14 641 45.8              
2 Tommy Murr - Sr
Lindsay Lane Christian Academy (Athens, AL)
PG 24 1084 45.2              
3 Nate Brafford - Jr
Tuscola (Waynesville, NC)
G 15 580 38.7              
4 Tanner Colflesh - Jr
Turkeyfoot Valley Area (Confluence, PA)
G 14 540 38.6              
5 Eddie Brown - Sr
Lighthouse Private Christian Academy (Pensacola, FL)
PG, SG 19 731 38.5              
6 Hunter Johns - Sr
Riverside Christian (Fanning Springs, FL)
PG, SG 12 446 37.2             8
7 Kam Woods - Sr
Pinson Valley (Pinson, AL)
SG, PG 24 864 36.0              
8 Kacen Gantt - Jr
Mount Olive Christian (Athens, LA)
C, F 17 604 35.5              
9 Brett Rumpel - Jr
Seton Catholic Central (Binghamton, NY)
PG, SG 12 422 35.2              
10 LJ Cryer - Sr
Morton Ranch (Katy, TX)
G 23 801 34.8              
11 Brayden Sipple - Jr
Blanchester (OH)
  14 480 34.3              
12 Coby Williams - Sr
Versailles (MO)
PG, SG 12 411 34.3              
13 KHALIL BRANTLEY - So
Boys & Girls (Brooklyn, NY)
G 20 684 34.2              
14 Luke Brown - Jr
Blackford (Hartford City, IN)
PG 12 407 33.9              

Could the font be any bigger?

You're acting like Brown is a complete joke. I don't get it.

He completely dominated Colson Montgomery earlier in the season, and that kid is getting D1 looks, including Indiana, Purdue, Butler, and Louisville. 

41 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

He completely dominated Colson Montgomery earlier in the season, and that kid is getting D1 looks, including Indiana, Purdue, Butler, and Louisville. 

Oh lord;

1. Show me one single solitary place where I in any way intimated that Luke Brown is "a  complete joke." 
  2. I cut and paste and you're complaining about the font size. Truly a jerk-face move by you IMO.

I should have known better. As the saying goes ...

"Don’t wrestle with Baltimore Hoosier. You both get filthy and Baltimore Hoosier likes it."

28 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Oh lord;

1. Show me one single solitary place where I in any way intimated that Luke Brown is "a  complete joke." 
  2. I cut and paste and you're complaining about the font size. Truly a jerk-face move by you IMO.

"Don’t wrestle with Baltimore Hoosier. You both get filthy and Baltimore Hoosier likes it."

Any reaction to LB dominating Colson Montgomery (looks from Butler, IU, Purdue, and Louisville)? Doesn't move the needle? 

Any reaction to LB dominating Colson Montgomery (looks from Butler, IU, Purdue, and Louisville)? Doesn't move the needle? 

For baseball? IU isn’t involved with Montgomery on the basketball end. Apart from Montgomery going on an unofficial to Louisville I’m not sure what other interest you are taking about with Louisville and basketball. Purdue has kicked the tires but as far as recruiting him hard enough for their insiders to publish articles on him I haven’t read any yet. Louisville baseball is recruiting him

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

For baseball? IU isn’t involved with Montgomery on the basketball end. Apart from Montgomery going on an unofficial to Louisville I’m not sure what other interest you are taking about with Louisville and basketball. Purdue has kicked the tires but as far as recruiting him hard enough for their insiders to publish articles on him I haven’t read any yet. Louisville baseball is recruiting him

Maybe Luke Brown struck him out last September?  ;)

2 hours ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

So we can officially say that he did play against the top AAU competition in the country last summer with positive results, correct?

Feel like fans who follow recruiting, should be keeping an eye on Brown. Maybe he crushes it this summer? His high school team plays who they play. 

I share this outlook ...I think his offensive game transfers well and I also think his 40% 3pt percentage is deceiving because he will maybe get 5 or 6 open threes per year and I’m not exaggerating that number...every one he takes is off the dribble or a step back so if he wasn’t the focal point I think his percentages would be even better 

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Not according to the IndyStar....

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/05/04/colson-montgomery-being-recruited-d-1-college-basketball-and-baseball/3618007002/

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Your initial question asked if he played against the top kids WITH POSITIVE RESULTS.

If Luke Brown, at 6'1", was posting huge scoring numbers playing in a small school farmland high school league in Pennsylvania instead of Indiana, was not ever a featured summer/AAU player, and was not being actively recruited by one single, solitary P5 program, would you still be wanting IU to pursue him? Answer that one, will ya?

I think this is also fair because if I hadn’t spent as much time watching him as I have ...and if I hadn’t been able to personally witness his worth ethic and character ...I likely wouldn’t be pushing for him and I may , in fact , have some of the critiques that many of the people who haven’t seen him play have 

1 hour ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

I’m on the same page here ...” fringe guys “ not only have hurt us they have also built a lot of success for the butler program so I’ve seen it help AND hurt .....I think fringe guys have a common characteristic ( chip on shoulder / hard workers ) typically ....things like shooting and ball handling can constantly be improved and those are the types that tend to excel in the areas that can be improved on and right now it is one of our teams biggest weaknesses ...if brown is too small for defense I don’t want him embarrassed nor iu to waste a spot but if he proves capable he can definitely help in those areas 

In that article it discusses “suitors”, and discusses IU and PU. It doesn’t say how they are suitors. Then follows up with they would watch him if it weren’t for baseball. They aren’t watching. If being a suitor means we are involved then we are involved with a lot of kids. There have never been reports that IU explicitly watched Montgomery. Much like they haven’t explicitly watched Luke Brown. It’s hard in this state for our assistants or head coaches to not be noticed when they watch kids. 2021 is loaded in this state. We may recruit CG or LB. We haven’t yet. It’s more likely CG gets drafted in MLB draft than him getting an offer from IU.

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

In that article it discusses “suitors”, and discusses IU and PU. It doesn’t say how they are suitors. Then follows up with they would watch him if it weren’t for baseball. They aren’t watching. There have never been reports that IU explicitly watched Montgomery. Much like they haven’t explicitly watched Luke Brown.

In the article it specifically mentions him playing basketball at a very high level, and the fact that suitors like Purdue and Indiana are involved, along with Louisville. Then it says they would ALSO be watching him work out in person if not for baseball.  

To me, there is obviously some interest. That's all I'm saying. Meanwhile, this LB kid dominated him and being talked about like he should be playing at a community college. 

In the article it specifically mentions him playing basketball at a very high level, and the fact that suitors like Purdue and Indiana are involved, along with Louisville. Then it says they would ALSO be watching him work out in person if not for baseball.  

To me, there is obviously some interest. That's all I'm saying. Meanwhile, this LB kid dominated him and being talked about like he should be playing at a community college. 

Yes because of his size, speed, and competition. It didn’t add Louisville when talking about IU and PU. It said he has suitors like IU and PU. He does play at a high level but he picked a bad year. 2021 is absolutely loaded in this state. It said he watched a Louisville game in person (6 other recruits were at). It didn’t say how IU and PU were suitors (they haven’t been watching him). I have seen nothing that says either team is interested in him. IU has quite a few guards with size that Archie is after. I see us getting Wesley.

I personally wouldn’t look too much into one game. I saw Sean Kline light up Zach Randolph right after ZBO’s gun charge to win sectional in 1999. Sean had like 36 and 20. We hadn’t beat Marion in years. Sean had a great game. I just think putting too much stock in one game with a thought of the type of player without watching it is dangerous.

There is a strong reason why no national analyst has him on their radar. They are at every event LB was at. These coaches are at every AAU tournament without a single offer or any high major team recruiting him. I hope the kid goes to a situation where can have a Bryce Drew type of career at a mid major. That would be fantastic. I think CM gets drafted and plays MLB. Not all bad.

1 hour ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Oh lord;

Ok I’m as big a fan of the kid as you’ll find ...and I actually think you’re both totally correct :

1. I think the comparison to the kids listed who are scoring higher than brown is skewed because it includes home school and Christian league performances ( yes I realize criticizing completion level when Luke plays for Blackford is casting stones in a glass house lol) but you guys know I’ve taken the time to watch videos of many of the kids on that list and it’s not close ...if you put luke in the same league as the murr kid luke could score 60 per game ...2A Indiana basketball is as or more competive and skilled than many states bigger programs

2. I think you actually both agree on the aau scenario and just don’t realize ...the point is like could show a lot this summer and still get his power 6 offers or he could not show up well and go to an Akron or a Kent state and either A) make the tourney be a big success and make us regret it or b) just have a so so campaign in which case the detractors can say I told you so and the kid gets a free education ...it will be fun to watch either way 

3. with regards to colson Montgomery ...he is the first topic other than Luke I’ve posted on as a member of this board ...he’s a solid player and I’ve now seen three of his games including the one against Blackford ...I think he’ll be a pro ball player and most basketball attention is as an acquiesced “ helping hand” to each schools baseball program because he wants to be a two sport athlete and he’s THAT good at baseball .....that being said even if he’s not big ten caliber he’s solid and he’s got pro level athleticism and he’s at least 4 if not 5 inches taller than brown ...that game specifically was as the most impressive performance I’ve ever seen Luke have because he played solid defense on Montgomery and he was his exclusive assignment for 80% of the game ...if you have a free minute go watch the game on bruinsportsnetwork on YouTube ...I didn’t think he had that in him but he showed me something new even having seen him play over 50 times. Effort And dedication goes a long way