Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If we have room I would rather use the scholarships on four year guys who aren't nearly as risky as Luke Brown. Armaan Franklin, Robert Phinisee, etc. Someone in the 100-150 range (ideally higher than this). Sure it's possible that he could play at this level, but it's much more likely that MAC schools are his ceiling. He's an undersized point guard with meh athleticism who plays weak competition during the school year.

I agree there is a far cry from the best 4A schools in terms of athletic competition but some things do translate ...when you score at the rate he does shooting the percentages he does guarded by 2-3 guys all game every game it bridges some of that gap ...I think he has the best of both worlds with what he can do during school then playing the big boys in the summer 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I'd rather use the 13th scholarship on a sit-a-year transfer with a high ceiling, or on a 7'0" jump out of the gym with decent grades project big.

That’s fair ...the transfer portal is more interesting than ever ...I just think if it’s a transfer or a project player the most important thing is fit/ iq /team player ....right now we aren’t hitting the right combinations even if we find talented kids 

7 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Agree with everything except the summer part ...he was on the top team in his age group on the adidas gauntlet in the entire state ...played with Kaufman ( iu offer )  koncizeny ( I spelled that wrong and am too lazy to look it up but he’s a Notre dame commit ) and hopf who isnt a slouch and I think I remember seeing Keon Thompson on their roster the game I attended and he’s second in the state in scoring ...I’ll be curious to see what they do with lander this summer since he played up a grade last year 

Help me get my brain around his play last summer:

My memory is that he played with the Indy Elite big dogs for awhile, but was not at all featured. Then, he was shifted down to the 'B' team, and had a big game or two. 

Is that the case? Did he guard future D1 guards in AAU?

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

My memory is that he played with the Indy Elite big dogs for awhile, but was not at all featured. Then, he was shifted down to the 'B' team, and had a big game or two. 

No he played Indiana elite platinum the whole season and during a tournament towards the end of the year he didn’t get the time that had been discussed ...my understanding is his dad asked if they wanted to move a different direction and they told him no and as a way to appease the disagreement they offered to pay to send him to the 2020 gold team tournament in California so my understanding is he played up a grade for that tourney but down a competition level from platinum to gold and I do think he scored well in that tourney but I have no clue who he played against ...IE , rather maddeningly didn’t keep stats which drives me nuts and those games weren’t on live feed so I don’t know if he played against anyone committed anywhere.  I know during the platinum season with 2021 he played top level players ( with and against ) I got to watch one day live and then their Texas tourney was live feed ...He lead the platinum team in assists and scored moderately and with the 2021 gold I know  nothing about the kids he played with except the gizzi boy from new pal....that’s my understanding If it helps at all 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I'd rather use the 13th scholarship on a sit-a-year transfer with a high ceiling, or on a 7'0" jump out of the gym with decent grades project big.

Not many 7'0 athletic big men who can jump out of the gym out on the 'waiver wire'.

I keep thinking about less-regarded in state players who have come back to hurt IU like Bryant McIntosh. Averaged like 14ppg his senior season. Went on to be a VERY productive player for NW for 4 seasons. Size-wise was about the same as LB, but he was high bball IQ, could shoot, and facilitate. 2nd team all-B1G in 2017. Could have been a major asset. Ranked 214 by 247sports coming out of High School so I'm sure he didn't get a real look. I mean is Greensburg a bball powerhouse? Looks like they are maybe top 50 in the state? Where did McIntosh play his AAU ball? Was he playing against D1 guards all summer?

Just now, Baltimore Hoosier said:

Not many 7'0 athletic big men who can jump out of the gym out on the 'waiver wire'.

I'm talking about a Jurkin/Muniru/Anunoby/April type. An athletic freak without much skill who has a one in ten chance of working out. All four of those fit that description and all were great kids, but only one succeeded on the court.

14 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

I keep thinking about less-regarded in state players who have come back to hurt IU like Bryant McIntosh. Averaged like 14ppg his senior season. Went on to be a VERY productive player for NW for 4 seasons. Size-wise was about the same as LB, but he was high bball IQ, could shoot, and facilitate. 2nd team all-B1G in 2017. Could have been a major asset. Ranked 214 by 247sports coming out of High School so I'm sure he didn't get a real look. I mean is Greensburg a bball powerhouse? Looks like they are maybe top 50 in the state? Where did McIntosh play his AAU ball? Was he playing against D1 guards all summer?

Brown is listed at 6'0. McIntosh was 6'3 and had offers from Purdue, Auburn, Florida State,  Iowa, Memphis, and Xavier. Crean didn't go after him for whatever reason, but I wouldn't consider him an under the radar recruit. Archie has recruited the state very well so far so I trust his judgment. Brown sounds like a great, hardworking kid, but that doesn't mean he's Big 10 caliber. 

18 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

Great post great example ....aj graves from butler was ranked even lower identical size ...Jordan bohannon Iowa 

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Brown is listed at 6'0. McIntosh was 6'3 and had offers from Purdue, Auburn, Florida State,  Iowa, Memphis, and Xavier. Crean didn't go after him for whatever reason, but I wouldn't consider him an under the radar recruit. Archie has recruited the state very well so far so I trust his judgment. Brown sounds like a great, hardworking kid, but that doesn't mean he's Big 10 caliber. 

I think he’s big ten caliber ( northwestern or Iowa maybe ) but maybe not a good fit for iu’s scheme or current roster ...brown is listed 6’2 but I actually think he’s closer to 6’ than 6’2 ...no idea on whether or not McIntosh is the same way 

Depends who you talk to. He did play with main group most of the summer. During those games he didn’t really do anything that stood out as a High major prospect. His limitations that scouts and coaches were worried about before were still present during the games in the summer. He did good enough to get the attention of mid major and low major programs. If you talk to some scouts they will tell you he quit on the top Indiana elite team when someone close to him pulled him out of an event and didn’t really give any notice. Who knows what really happened it’s AAU where kids switch teams during the same event. Lol. Brown will have every opportunity to earn a high major scholly this year if he chooses to play for the top Indiana Elite team. Word is Lander is playing on the EYBL this coming year with Furst and Indy Heat.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

9 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Depends who you talk to. He did play with main group most of the summer. During those games he didn’t really do anything that stood out as a High major prospect. His limitations that scouts and coaches were worried about before were still present during the games in the summer. He did good enough to get the attention of mid major and low major programs. If you talk to some scouts they will tell you he quit on the top Indiana elite team when someone close to him pulled him out of an event and didn’t really give any notice. Who knows what really happened it’s AAU where kids switch teams during the same event. Lol. Brown will have every opportunity to earn a high major scholly this year if he chooses to play for the top Indiana Elite team. Word is Lander is playing on the EYBL this coming year with Furst and Indy Heat.

Thanks for the lander info I had heard something similar but wasn’t ever given a confirmation ....and you’re correct there are probably six stories ...I’m not so naive to think that the one I got is automatically accurate in fact the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle ....you know I’m a big supporter but the majority of the mac offers actually came after the NCAA invite program in Illinois where he performed really welll but not with IE it was like a separate event from what I understand 

Thanks for the lander info I had heard something similar but wasn’t ever given a confirmation ....and you’re correct there are probably six stories ...I’m not so naive to think that the one I got is automatically accurate in fact the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle ....you know I’m a big supporter but the majority of the mac offers actually came after the NCAA invite program in Illinois where he performed really welll but not with IE it was like a separate event from what I understand 

Offers might of came after that ncaa event but you can bet that those teams that offered tracked him during the summer and that event just confirmed to them that they wanted to offer him a scholly. Coaches shouldnt just offer off of 1 good event. They should want multiple viewings of a prospect in different tournaments. I’ve seen too many AAU events where someone I thought would be a high major turned out to be a low major kid and I’ve also watched a 5 star kid play 2 days in an event and if I didn’t know he was a 5 star I would of guessed he was unranked.

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

Offers might of came after that ncaa event but you can bet that those teams that offered tracked him during the summer and that event just confirmed to them that they wanted to offer him a scholly. Coaches shouldnt just offer off of 1 good event. They should want multiple viewings of a prospect in different tournaments. I’ve seen too many AAU events where someone I thought would be a high major turned out to be a low major kid and I’ve also watched a 5 star kid play 2 days in an event and if I didn’t know he was a 5 star I would of guessed he was unranked.

I think that’s fair but I also think there was a domino effect because they said they hadn’t been approached by half those schools nor noticed any of them at the other tourneys so a couple of those may have been retaliation type offers ....I agree with you I wouldn’t offer a kid I hadn’t seen live many times 

Ugh... Crean with Gelon and Hoetzel were some of the least scouted offers I’ve ever seen.

Crean did hit some Homers though.

Ugh... Crean with Gelon and Hoetzel were some of the least scouted offers I’ve ever seen.

Crean also got in early on kids but lost out in the end as better programs came calling. That could happen here if LB starts to impress at a higher level or it may not. He could also be one of those kids that excelled in an offense geared around him but struggles without that. He might be able to go and kill it at a mid major where that happens and we all think what if.

10 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Crean also got in early on kids but lost out in the end as better programs came calling. That could happen here if LB starts to impress at a higher level or it may not. He could also be one of those kids that excelled in an offense geared around him but struggles without that. He might be able to go and kill it at a mid major where that happens and we all think what if.

I could see this being true I think he would fit will with Akron and groce

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Crean also had 5 more scholarship players over a 5 year span than the next closest Big Ten team.  This was not because of players leaving early for the NBA. 

So we can officially say that he did play against the top AAU competition in the country last summer with positive results, correct?

Feel like fans who follow recruiting, should be keeping an eye on Brown. Maybe he crushes it this summer? His high school team plays who they play.