Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

52 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Paoli could have made it to State last year but they went prevent and ended up losing. Was the first sectional title since 08. And Paoli hasn’t been to State finals since like 2000.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Blackford has never won a regional and hasn’t won a sectional since the 90’s lol

...I don’t expect them at their current pace to do much but they could be competitive in their sectional and regional groupings if they shoot well

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Epic collapse by Blackford tonight. Led 71-47 after three, got outscored 36-12 in the fourth and lost at home to Winchester in OT, 98-95. 

Brown had 54, one point short of tying his career high. 

1 hour ago, fwgreenway said:

No lead is safe in high school?!

All I can say after a week where butler lost twice and Blackford lost twice ...including giving up a 24 point lead going into the 4th quarter ....is that IU winning today and doing so with their guards not shooting well at all but still generating 21 assists to only 16 turnovers is all that kept me from jumping off a tall building 

ps coaching makes a difference because I’ve never see such poor handling of that 4th quarter by the Blackford bench with their head coach still not recovered from pneumonia 

All I can say after a week where butler lost twice and Blackford lost twice ...including giving up a 24 point lead going into the 4th quarter ....is that IU winning today and doing so with their guards not shooting well at all but still generating 21 assists to only 16 turnovers is all that kept me from jumping off a tall building 

ps coaching makes a difference because I’ve never see such poor handling of that 4th quarter by the Blackford bench with their head coach still not recovered from pneumonia 

Did Blackford start turning the ball over or shoot themselves out of it because they kept jacking up shots?

10 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Very sorry to hear coach Hoover is still having this health issue. I'm sure many people around the state are keeping him, his family and the entire Blackford community in their thoughts. No doubt it has to be difficult for the staff and players to adjust to a coaching change during the season. Blowing a lead late in a game can be corrected and not nearly as important as the people helping to guide these students/athletes. Best of luck the rest of the way.

13 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Epic collapse by Blackford tonight. Led 71-47 after three, got outscored 36-12 in the fourth and lost at home to Winchester in OT, 98-95. 

Brown had 54, one point short of tying his career high. 

Did Peyton Sparks have a big game for Winchester?

42 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Did Peyton Sparks have a big game for Winchester?

He scored in the 20’s before fouling out but his biggest impact was blocking shots ...during the 4th quarter 36-12 outburst everytime Blackford broke the press they had a kid try to get a lay up and no joke he blocked a shot on 4 or 5 consecutive possessions and they all lead to transition buckets ...they had a little sophomore guard who scored 35 from hitting open outside shots 

1 hour ago, fwgreenway said:

Very sorry to hear coach Hoover is still having this health issue. I'm sure many people around the state are keeping him, his family and the entire Blackford community in their thoughts. No doubt it has to be difficult for the staff and players to adjust to a coaching change during the season. Blowing a lead late in a game can be corrected and not nearly as important as the people helping to guide these students/athletes. Best of luck the rest of the way.

Very kind of you ...he’s a basketball lifer and has touched many around the state ...I also hope for a speedy recovery ...great teacher and historian 

1 hour ago, ap2345 said:

Did Blackford start turning the ball over or shoot themselves out of it because they kept jacking up shots?

Both ...they tripled brown and forced the ball out of his hands and the refs were allowing a lot of hand and body contact so the other kids were turning it over and when they did break it rather than getting in a set and chewing clock they inexplicably went to the bucket with sparks underneath and had 4 or 5 consecutive blocked lay up attempts at the rim that led to transition buckets ...I was baffled at the fact it wasn’t corrected from the bench 

Does anyone know if IU has reached out to LB? Last time I checked, his school wasn't big enough, he wasn't playing good enough competition, and needed to put on muscle. Just saw that he put up 54 the other night and shooting about 40% from 3. Must be doing something right. 

1 minute ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

Does anyone know if IU has reached out to LB? Last time I checked, his school wasn't big enough, he wasn't playing good enough competition, and needed to put on muscle. Just saw that he put up 54 the other night and shooting about 40% from 3. Must be doing something right. 

None of that matters.  You must not have received the memo from the unbridled negativity crowd for whom nothing is ever good enough.

We already have 3 four year type guys in the 2020 class. We need some instant impact players in the 2021 class. I'm not sure we can afford to take a flier on Brown and hope that he works out down the line. Other P5 schools haven't offered either, so we aren't alone here. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We already have 3 four year type guys in the 2020 class. We need some instant impact players in the 2021 class. I'm not sure we can afford to take a flier on Brown and hope that he works out down the line. 

Eh.. If EVERYONE on scholarship currently stays through 2021-2022, there would be 3-4 open scholarships. I'd bet 1-2 leave. There should be room. 

1 hour ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

Let me itemize your post:

1. "His school wasn't big enough" True
  2. "He wasn't playing good enough competition" (including during the summer, when he could) True
  3. "Needed to put on muscle" (and add athleticism) True

Yup. That oughta do it. That gets him an offer from MAC schools, I think. And it's not just IU; Purdue, Butler, and ND in-state, not to mention the rest of the B1G, are currently taking a pass. 

If that changes? Great for Luke Brown, and really good for the school that gets him.

5 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

Eh.. If EVERYONE on scholarship currently stays through 2021-2022, there would be 3-4 open scholarships. I'd bet 1-2 leave. There should be room. 

If we have room I would rather use the scholarships on four year guys who aren't nearly as risky as Luke Brown. Armaan Franklin, Robert Phinisee, etc. Someone in the 100-150 range (ideally higher than this). Sure it's possible that he could play at this level, but it's much more likely that MAC schools are his ceiling. He's an undersized point guard with meh athleticism who plays weak competition during the school year.

1 hour ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

That’s always been and always will be the knock ...zero contact as of last week and if any comes I wouldn’t expect it to be this summer ...the kid plays iu recruits or iu level recruits all summer and has success so I think size is the main factor ( height specifically )

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Let me itemize your post:

1. "His school wasn't big enough" True
  2. "He wasn't playing good enough competition" (including during the summer, when he could) True
  3. "Needed to put on muscle" (and add athleticism) True

Yup. That oughta do it. That gets him an offer from MAC schools, I think. And it's not just IU; Purdue, Butler, and ND in-state, not to mention the rest of the B1G, are currently taking a pass. 

If that changes? Great for Luke Brown, and really good for the school that gets him.

Agree with everything except the summer part ...he was on the top team in his age group on the adidas gauntlet in the entire state ...played with Kaufman ( iu offer )  koncizeny ( I spelled that wrong and am too lazy to look it up but he’s a Notre dame commit ) and hopf who isnt a slouch and I think I remember seeing Keon Thompson on their roster the game I attended and he’s second in the state in scoring ...I’ll be curious to see what they do with lander this summer since he played up a grade last year 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We already have 3 four year type guys in the 2020 class. We need some instant impact players in the 2021 class. I'm not sure we can afford to take a flier on Brown and hope that he works out down the line. Other P5 schools haven't offered either, so we aren't alone here. 

I agree it would be a flyer and I see what you mean about 2020 but I think the right formula is 10 four year players on roster at all time and literally 1-3 one or two year players IF they are team oriented recruits ...If you go outside that formula you need at least 3 one year players per class and we aren’t willing to cheat enough to be the duke or Kentucky competition and it doesn’t always work for them even when they pull those Heralded  classes ...he may just not fit with iu but I still think he could help