Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

23 minutes ago, RatpigHoosier said:

Wait just a minute! He CAN control his height. Didn’t one of the Brady boys hang from the swingset to get taller or something? A little unorthodox but P5 conference scholarships are totally worth the osteoporosis, IMO

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Wait ....that WORKS ???

4 minutes ago, scoot said:

I think Luke can play high D1 level. My question is has luke been to IU for a visit or has IU watched him specifically? I dont see much interaction from IU to Luke.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

He shoots threes and free throws too well. Might want to knock down those percentages and stop being automatic from the line, then our staff might find him more appealing.

We can show interest without actually offering (yet).  Have we really even shown any interest in this kid?  If no, bad idea IMO.

Sounds like a high IQ player that can shoot the lights out, frankly sign me up for that all day every day.  We should always have a spot for that.

2 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I think this is too simplistic.   First of all, Hulls averaged 16 PPG his senior year.  Brown averaged almost 35.  There have been a whole lot of 4A kids (Jeremy Hollowell, anyone?) who have succeeded in high school and done nothing in college; and there are plenty of 1A and 2A kids who have gone on to very successful college careers. 

You can either play or you can't.  You either understand the game or you don't.   This kid can play.  You don't score 35 points a night against defense if you can't, and the 3 point line is no different for small schools than it is 4A schools.   He shoots it like Hulls or even better, and I see a similar role being very attainable for Brown.

To me, there's no downside to offering him.  We have 2 open scholarships this season, so there's always room on a roster for a gym rat who needs polish.   Would he come in and dominate as a freshman?  Nope.  Probably not.   But there's no doubt in my mind Luke Brown will succeed as a basketball player regardless of where he goes.  The small school/big school argument holds very little water in my opinion.

I agree with most of what you have said… The main argument against the kid typically comes from people saying over and over again that he plays inferior competition… I have kind of given up on fighting it and try to direct the conversation more towards the fact that he competes during the summer against that top level talent. I am one of his bigger supporters and I definitely want him in iu colors  but my preference would be that we just show him some attention now and wait to see how he physically develops next summer and make an offer then if we like what we see. I love everything about Luke’s work ethic and offense of game but I also know what Archie tries to do on defense and Luke would have a tough time fitting that bill right now at his current size. I think he will end up surprising or proving a lot of people wrong 

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I think we’re playing this right. No reason to offer unless we’re ready to take a commitment.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I completely agree… A little attention would go a long ways towards keeping us at the top of the list but I don’t think there’s any reason to rush unless purdue puts in an offer first

44 minutes ago, scoot said:

I think Luke can play high D1 level. My question is has luke been to IU for a visit or has IU watched him specifically? I dont see much interaction from IU to Luke.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

He has not been invited for a visit in fact… As of two weeks ago… They had not even so much is said hello to him despite following trey Kaufman who is on the same AAU team as Luke.  I have advocated for it before I think something as simple as a letter congratulating him on leading the state and scoring with a note that they’ll be watching him in the future would be more than sufficient and would waste no time or resources on the scouting end.  I won’t say it’s a mistake to not offer him right now but it is a mistake to ignore him completely.

41 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

He shoots threes and free throws too well. Might want to knock down those percentages and stop being automatic from the line, then our staff might find him more appealing.

My favorite staff about Luke was that he was the only 50/40/90 Player in the entire state of Indiana in any class during the 2018 season… He would have been the only player in 2019 but he only shot 38% from three But had a higher overall field-goal percentage than the previous year

22 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

We can show interest without actually offering (yet).  Have we really even shown any interest in this kid?  If no, bad idea IMO.

Sounds like a high IQ player that can shoot the lights out, frankly sign me up for that all day every day.  We should always have a spot for that.

Amen !!! I couldn’t agree with you more I just made a post about the fact that Sydney in the kid a letter would take zero time or resources and would still keep our foot in the door especially in the instance that he grows physically

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Blake Wesley is a four star in-State shooting guard with two posts in his entire thread. This thread has 43 freakin pages.

The poster that has fed that engine is appropriate and respectful at all times, but there’s something about all this that strikes me as completely, absolutely ludicrous, and it also strikes me as a (quite successful) manipulation.

So there.

I can understand that ...someone should kick the jerk out ;)....kidding ....thanks for disagreeing ( or at least questioning if not disagreeing ) in a friendly manner.  I get it I really do but my personal opinion is that most of the ratings are politically/say influenced and , further more, they have to evaluate SO many kids that things like height and athleticism cut people out from consideration right from the start in order to narrow the evaluation pool ....I’m not saying there is a better system , because more often than not the best talents get uncovered BUT it’s not a perfect system and players fall through the crack ....I firmly believe Luke is one of those kids / gamers that his intangibles or immeasurables make up for his lack of size and jumping ability which is the only thing people question about him 

I think this is too simplistic.   First of all, Hulls averaged 16 PPG his senior year.  Brown averaged almost 35.  There have been a whole lot of 4A kids (Jeremy Hollowell, anyone?) who have succeeded in high school and done nothing in college; and there are plenty of 1A and 2A kids who have gone on to very successful college careers. 
You can either play or you can't.  You either understand the game or you don't.   This kid can play.  You don't score 35 points a night against defense if you can't, and the 3 point line is no different for small schools than it is 4A schools.   He shoots it like Hulls or even better, and I see a similar role being very attainable for Brown.
To me, there's no downside to offering him.  We have 2 open scholarships this season, so there's always room on a roster for a gym rat who needs polish.   Would he come in and dominate as a freshman?  Nope.  Probably not.   But there's no doubt in my mind Luke Brown will succeed as a basketball player regardless of where he goes.  The small school/big school argument holds very little water in my opinion.

The initial post I responded to (which is the one this reply was to) said Jordy couldn’t do what this kid did. My response was I am not so sure he could do what Jordy did in 4A. If you feel he could, we disagree. I think he is a D1 player, but to this point no major conference team has offered him for a reason. If he improves? Sure I would love to offer him. But currently there are many more that showed enough to warrant recognition from this state and some on the same team. In my opinion our attention should be elsewhere presently. But subject to change. What’s the upside of rushing?

Archie has done a great job recruiting the state so far. I trust him in how he's handling this situation. If he thought that Brown's currently a high major prospect then he would offer him, or at least show interest. I think that the fact he doesn't have any high major offers right now shows that Archie has the right idea. 

3 hours ago, mdn82 said:

The initial post I responded to (which is the one this reply was to) said Jordy couldn’t do what this kid did. My response was I am not so sure he could do what Jordy did in 4A. If you feel he could, we disagree. I think he is a D1 player, but to this point no major conference team has offered him for a reason. If he improves? Sure I would love to offer him. But currently there are many more that showed enough to warrant recognition from this state and some on the same team. In my opinion our attention should be elsewhere presently. But subject to change. What’s the upside of rushing?

I do feel he could do what Hulls did in 4A and wonder why you and others don't?   In a much better AAU competitive environment, he's putting up 18-20 every game, plus 5 assists.  Friend of mine coaches a team that played after him last week and said he scored 27 against a team with 3 D1 commits on it.  He's bigger than he was as a freshman; and I see him as a very comparable player to Brody Boyd.   Who was smaller.  

Just me, but the last thing I want to worry about is what other schools do.  He wants to come to Indiana.  What's the downside in saying "come on down?"  Who cares if other big schools have offered or not?  Calbert Cheaney didn't have many offers, either.  Lots of stories about kids who did great despite having only an offer or two.    It only takes one coach to believe in you. 

It's not a rush.  It's an offer to a kid who can play.   If he improves....what?   He scores 35 a game.  He gets 7 assists, 5 rebounds, and 2 steals a game.   He'll get bigger and more physical with age and experience, so defense will come.  He shoots almost 40%from behind the 3 point line....which has no bias 1A or 4A.   What needs to improve except size and strength, which do and did for all of us as we matured?  I think the Steve Nash comparisons are ridiculous, but then....not many if any big schools offered HIM, either.   Santa Clara did, and every big school wished they had.  I'm not making that comparison, but 35 a night is 35 a night.  

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Archie has done a great job recruiting the state so far. I trust him in how he's handling this situation. If he thought that Brown's currently a high major prospect then he would offer him, or at least show interest. I think that the fact he doesn't have any high major offers right now shows that Archie has the right idea. 

Agree on Archie but somewhat disagree on power five programs ....I don’t think it’s telling that those offers aren’t there yet ...usually the power 5’s commit offers to the best of the best and hit the second tier kids once the first tier kids start committing and the schools with slots left can fill them knowing the 5 stars are already off the table ....my prediction is Purdue or Clemson offers him late during basketball season or early this next summer and then that spawns a couple more offers within the same conference or  group 

2 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I do feel he could do what Hulls did in 4A and wonder why you and others don't?   In a much better AAU competitive environment, he's putting up 18-20 every game, plus 5 assists.  Friend of mine coaches a team that played after him last week and said he scored 27 against a team with 3 D1 commits on it.  He's bigger than he was as a freshman; and I see him as a very comparable player to Brody Boyd.   Who was smaller.  

Just me, but the last thing I want to worry about is what other schools do.  He wants to come to Indiana.  What's the downside in saying "come on down?"  Who cares if other big schools have offered or not?  Calbert Cheaney didn't have many offers, either.  Lots of stories about kids who did great despite having only an offer or two.    It only takes one coach to believe in you. 

It's not a rush.  It's an offer to a kid who can play.   If he improves....what?   He scores 35 a game.  He gets 7 assists, 5 rebounds, and 2 steals a game.   He'll get bigger and more physical with age and experience, so defense will come.  He shoots almost 40%from behind the 3 point line....which has no bias 1A or 4A.   What needs to improve except size and strength, which do and did for all of us as we matured?  I think the Steve Nash comparisons are ridiculous, but then....not many if any big schools offered HIM, either.   Santa Clara did, and every big school wished they had.  I'm not making that comparison, but 35 a night is 35 a night.  

Id love this post if I could ....you’re spot on and I’ve spent months on this bored hearing people say “ but he doesn’t play the same completion as a 4A” then when you bring up that he’s leading his aau team in assists while also scoring comparably to Kaufman who is on his team everyone just writes it off.  If you watch the kid play he more then passed the eye ball test and to further your points:

1. When you say 40 percent from three ( he was over 40 as a freshman and 38 as a sophomore ) I want to point out I think that number or mark should be actually asterisked .....I have been to every high school game he has played live except for two and I’m not exaggerating when I say that over the course of a season and a half he has had less than 10 open 3 point shots.  I’m not casually or arbitrarily throwing that number out.  He is literally double and triple teamed all game every game and he has to handle 95% of the ball handling duties for the Blackford team.  Stroble can shoot but he can’t create or play make so every shot Luke takes is with one or two sets of hands in his face and  is usually off the dribble and often from 25-30 foot instead of at the 3pt line .  If he had another dangerous ball habdler/ shooter that got him some open looks he would be even more deadly from long range.

2.  When you say he will develop physically I can’t say he will for sure get taller ( I think he probably has another inch or two but can’t ever be certain with that ) but I can definitely say he will fill out with solid upper body mass. Weight training is controllable and if it’s in his control he will do it .  He developed noticeably physically from freshman to sophomore year .  So much so that I was concerned it might effect his shot.  The kid is absolutely obsessive and had a better work ethic than any athlete at any level I’ve ever been familiar with.  He’s self aware and I can tell you he no doubt puts in hours per day on his upper body and jumping on top of the two hours of practice and two to four  hours of shooting drills and hour of ball handling.  

Brody Boyd is a great comparison and I think Luke will be significantly bigger than Brody was by his senior year even if he doesn’t get taller than he is now 

I would love to have a Hulls, Aaron Craft, Brody Boyd, etc.

• Is a winner.....doesn't settle for losing.
  • Is a floor general.
  • Does the little things, always.
  • Makes others around him better.
  • Can kill you on the shot, or burn you with a spot on pass.
  • Can't do a 360 or windmill dunk.
  • Wreaks havoc on players the he defends.

Luke Brown???  Possibly....

9 minutes ago, HoosierCoop said:

I would love to have a Hulls, Aaron Craft, Brody Boyd, etc.

• Is a winner.....doesn't settle for losing.
  • Is a floor general.
  • Does the little things, always.
  • Makes others around him better.
  • Can kill you on the shot, or burn you with a spot on pass.
  • Can't do a 360 or windmill dunk.
  • Wreaks havoc on players the he defends.

Luke Brown???  Possibly....

Don’t you think if that was a  possibility Archie would be showing some interest?