Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

Oh; we agree on contingency plans for injuries. With eleven viable players that means they are all fighting for the eight or nine rotation spots. If we have more than eight or nine getting real minutes that means we don’t know who our best players are.
This year? Green, Phinisee, Durham, Smith, TJD, Davis, Brunk, Hunter.
If we need a ninth, we’re playing a cupcake, or we get an injury or two, insert Anderson, Franklin, and Thompson, all of who have real ability.
perfect

I think we are in agreement in theory but I don’t see you actually allotting for said contingencies. You outlined 8 players that could/should be in rotation however that assumes hunter plays at all which is completely up in the air and that non of the other 7 get hurt which will no doubt happen. That seven could quickly become 5 with little to no depth.

I know it sounds negative to think that way but it is just a reality that players get hurt and hunter is a wildcard. That hypothetical 5 also includes a guy that sat out half of last season with a torn Achilles. I just don’t see the advantage of saving 2 scholarships unless we just cannot get anyone better than a walk on quality player and if that is the case we are in deep ****

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

100% agree. This seems to be the type of kid that you use that 12th or 13th scholarship on. I said something similar before and was essentially told by others here that if we treated him like the 12th or 13th scholarship he wouldn’t come. The point is more that if we would normally leave a scholarship or two open, this is the type of kid that is worth taking a chance on and using one of those. If he panned out, great, we got a hard working in-state contributor. If not, so what, it was going to go unused and now e have a hard working gym rat practice player

It may be only me in this camp, but I have recently seen tape on this kid, and he's a legit 30 PPG guy who's NOT small/slight anymore.  His legs are thick, and he's got range to 28' with no problem.   Kid may break Bailey's scoring record, and I think he's better by far than a 12th or 13 scholarship guy.   I think people here sell the kid way short because of Blackford's schedule.   I want Archie to offer this kid and secure him.  Kid's a great passer and had 55 in a game last season.  Being looked at by several high D1 schools now, including Purdue and Butler.  That's better than a 13th scholarship player in my mind.   I differ with you on this one.

It may be only me in this camp, but I have recently seen tape on this kid, and he's a legit 30 PPG guy who's NOT small/slight anymore.  His legs are thick, and he's got range to 28' with no problem.   Kid may break Bailey's scoring record, and I think he's better by far than a 12th or 13 scholarship guy.   I think people here sell the kid way short because of Blackford's schedule.   I want Archie to offer this kid and secure him.  Kid's a great passer and had 55 in a game last season.  Being looked at by several high D1 schools now, including Purdue and Butler.  That's better than a 13th scholarship player in my mind.   I differ with you on this one.

I think I agree with you and if you feel differently it’s because I didn’t state my stance clearly.

My stance is that we should offer him. Worst comes to worst he ends up being our 12th best player. So what? He seems worth the risk even with a coach that has 15 scholarships accepted let alone one that only has 11. Why not is my opinion

16 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

100% agree. This seems to be the type of kid that you use that 12th or 13th scholarship on. I said something similar before and was essentially told by others here that if we treated him like the 12th or 13th scholarship he wouldn’t come. The point is more that if we would normally leave a scholarship or two open, this is the type of kid that is worth taking a chance on and using one of those. If he panned out, great, we got a hard working in-state contributor. If not, so what, it was going to go unused and now e have a hard working gym rat practice player

I'm probably the person you're referencing and I stand by that comment, especially after reading that interview. He clearly states he wants to win and he wants to go somewhere that he'll have an impact. He also talks about developing a relationship with the coaching staff. If we don't do anything to prioritize him and he sits back and watches IU recruit 4 or 5 other guys at his position before extending an offer when we miss (i.e. treat him like a 12th, 13th scholarship player), I don't see him coming here. I see him going to a school like Purdue and hitting us for 25 and 8 every time we play because his favorite program didn't think he was good enough.

12 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Annnnnnd you’re my new best friend....I’d actually like to see how his July goes playing with hopf and Kaufman ( been great so far ) and id like to see him add one inch or ten pounds ( or both) before we offer.  I have no doubt he will add the muscle but his hard work won’t control height and he will have trouble defending without one or both of those things ....I think if you read through you’ll find I’m one of his bigger advocates so I love your perspective on him.

11 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

I think I agree with you and if you feel differently it’s because I didn’t state my stance clearly.

My stance is that we should offer him. Worst comes to worst he ends up being our 12th best player. So what? He seems worth the risk even with a coach that has 15 scholarships accepted let alone one that only has 11. Why not is my opinion

At least contact if not an offer ...as of now no one has even said hi to the kid 

30 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

I'm probably the person you're referencing and I stand by that comment, especially after reading that interview. He clearly states he wants to win and he wants to go somewhere that he'll have an impact. He also talks about developing a relationship with the coaching staff. If we don't do anything to prioritize him and he sits back and watches IU recruit 4 or 5 other guys at his position before extending an offer when we miss (i.e. treat him like a 12th, 13th scholarship player), I don't see him coming here. I see him going to a school like Purdue and hitting us for 25 and 8 every time we play because his favorite program didn't think he was good enough.

He appears to get very motivated by sleights so I could see that especially if he grows at all

Just now, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

At least contact if not an offer ...as of now no one has even said hi to the kid 

Well that should tell us something: staff has seen him play many times and has not established even cursory contact? 

They just don't think there's any chance he'll be under consideration.

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Well that should tell us something: staff has seen him play many times and has not established even cursory contact? 

They just don't think there's any chance he'll be under consideration.

I think you could be right because they followed / offered Kaufman and Luke played with him the entire offseason and nada which I have a difficult time understanding because if you’re concerned with his size why not be upfront with him and make contact and say “ hey we would love to see you keep developing and will keep watching “.....it’s not like Lander has already committed to us ...we may end up short in that class if we miss he and furst.

12 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I think you could be right because they followed / offered Kaufman and Luke played with him the entire offseason and nada which I have a difficult time understanding because if you’re concerned with his size why not be upfront with him and make contact and say “ hey we would love to see you keep developing and will keep watching “.....it’s not like Lander has already committed to us ...we may end up short in that class if we miss he and furst.

And I'm not judging whether they're right or wrong. Just saying that it seems like for now, they have reached a clear conclusion.

Archie was an undersized D1 PG and he's not connecting with someone like Luke Brown nor seeing the potential... something is off here. I'm sure there will be more to this and we'll learn more over the next year or so.

46 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Annnnnnd you’re my new best friend....I’d actually like to see how his July goes playing with hopf and Kaufman ( been great so far ) and id like to see him add one inch or ten pounds ( or both) before we offer.  I have no doubt he will add the muscle but his hard work won’t control height and he will have trouble defending without one or both of those things ....I think if you read through you’ll find I’m one of his bigger advocates so I love your perspective on him.

Thanks!    For perspective - Jordan Hulls was no bigger than Brown is.    Michael Lewis was no bigger than Brown is.  Yogi is shorter.   I don't know why size statistics matter as much as they do.   Position defense is more important to me than on-ball; and he's a smart enough player to avoid hurting his team.   Romeo got beat defending on the ball plenty a year ago, and he's 6'6".     Brown is a basketball player.   He is a fantastic passer.  He knows the game.  He can MAKE shots.   As MikeRoberts basically said above, what do we lose??   I've seen enough bad players with better "measurables" come through Indiana to know I'd rather have a basketball player 100 times out of 100.

13 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Archie was an undersized D1 PG and he's not connecting with someone like Luke Brown nor seeing the potential... something is off here. I'm sure there will be more to this and we'll learn more over the next year or so.

Interesting take.....

Living less than an hour away, I can say with the utmost confidence there has been no relationship from the IU side. Maybe they will watch him, but if he doesn’t have an offer by the end of this summer I doubt he gets one.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

And I'm not judging whether they're right or wrong. Just saying that it seems like for now, they have reached a clear conclusion.

I totally agree with you and I think it’s a microcosm or our lack of success/consistency the last 2 decades while people we should be dominating (Wisconsin, Purdue, Butler, Notre Dame ) have either out recruited us or have produced consistent teams built around 3 and 4 year players.  We have all these kids slip through the nets because, seemingly, they aren’t “ good enough “

to receive IU level attention ....until they get good enough and it’s too late for us to sway them.

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

Thanks!    For perspective - Jordan Hulls was no bigger than Brown is.    Michael Lewis was no bigger than Brown is.  Yogi is shorter.   I don't know why size statistics matter as much as they do.   Position defense is more important to me than on-ball; and he's a smart enough player to avoid hurting his team.   Romeo got beat defending on the ball plenty a year ago, and he's 6'6".     Brown is a basketball player.   He is a fantastic passer.  He knows the game.  He can MAKE shots.   As MikeRoberts basically said above, what do we lose??   I've seen enough bad players with better "measurables" come through Indiana to know I'd rather have a basketball player 100 times out of 100.

I couldn’t be more in agreement but ...to go one step further ...even if not making an offer why not just COMMUNICATE with the kid in case he pans out or grows ?  Jordan hulls and mike Lewis are great comparisons... I actually started on this page because of jordy....his older brother was roommates with two of my high school friends at IU and they would always go to all his games in high school at Bloomington which I was always turning my nose at when they tried to get me to come.  They said he would play at IU and be mr basketball and I laughed for many of the reasons people do with brown ( lack of athleticism and can’t defend the position at that size ).  Those same guys that never missed one of his games have come back to Blackford to watch Luke several times ...they are as big of Hulls fans as you will find they are very clear that’s Luke is as advanced in his shooting passing and ball handling as a sophomore as hulls was as an underclassman and I think brown will end up heavier or more built than Jordan. Counting kids out is dangerous and has been a two decade problem for our scouting and recruiting.

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

Living less than an hour away, I can say with the utmost confidence there has been no relationship from the IU side. Maybe they will watch him, but if he doesn’t have an offer by the end of this summer I doubt he gets one.

If they are going to offer ( again big if) I wouldn’t expect it until next summer after his junior year to see if he gets physically bigger and to see what their other offerees decide.  It’s a pretty loaded class.  But you are correct there has been ZERO contact at all and I think that’s irresponsible.

If they are going to offer ( again big if) I wouldn’t expect it until next summer after his junior year to see if he gets physically bigger and to see what their other offerees decide.  It’s a pretty loaded class.  But you are correct there has been ZERO contact at all and I think that’s irresponsible.

I think the way they handed out 2021 scholarships show unless they are diving into backup to the backup offers I don’t see many being offered next year. The only way is if a player blows up or we are in a really bad spot. In that case maybe spring of their senior year. It just doesn’t have the feel of the backups to the backups offered next year. He is aiming big at this point. It feels as though he is offering backup options this summer for 2021.

4 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I think the way they handed out 2021 scholarships show unless they are diving into backup to the backup offers I don’t see many being offered next year. The only way is if a player blows up or we are in a really bad spot. In that case maybe spring of their senior year. It just doesn’t have the feel of the backups to the backups offered next year. He is aiming big at this point. It feels as though he is offering backup options this summer for 2021.

I don’t disagree with you but if furst and Lander both go elsewhere that leaves us with Kaufman as the only in-state from 2021 ( assuming he signs on )

1 hour ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I don’t disagree with you but if furst and Lander both go elsewhere that leaves us with Kaufman as the only in-state from 2021 ( assuming he signs on )

Luke Goode is in-state, is 6'6", and arguably shoots it just as well as Luke Brown.

Moreover ...he's a legacy! His dad played football at IU.