Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

6 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Slightly taller ...I think even if he doesn’t get taller he will have a more sturdy frame than boyd by senior year.  I never got to see Brody in high school I only observed him in college.  Several regular posters here saw him as a high schooler and one even played with him so they might be able to weigh in better. I will tell you from what I saw Luke handles the ball and distributed as well or better as a sophomore than what Boyd could in college. 

I watched Boyd play one time in high school. He was playing at Vincennes Rivet, and nobody on that team was close to his level. 

19 hours ago, Feathery said:

I watched Boyd play one time in high school. He was playing at Vincennes Rivet, and nobody on that team was close to his level. 

Luke definitely stands out ...if you get a chance to see him this coming year go catch a game and let us know if you think there is a solid comparison there 

Saw a twitter post a few months back from an individual stating that he thought that Brown would never be a high D1 level recruit. This person was Coach Sam Story. I know that his name has come up on other threads in this forum. Who is this person, and where does he coach? He also seems to want you to believe that he is somewhat connected to the program. Any info?

1 hour ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Saw a twitter post a few months back from an individual stating that he thought that Brown would never be a high D1 level recruit. This person was Coach Sam Story. I know that his name has come up on other threads in this forum. Who is this person, and where does he coach? He also seems to want you to believe that he is somewhat connected to the program. Any info?

The guys in the other forum seem to know / follow him regularly ...first it was that Luke wasn’t D1 caliber ...then Iona and ball state offered how it’s “ he’s not big ten caliber”  ...I bet he gets a big ten offer in the next six months then we will see if he shows back up

9 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

The guys in the other forum seem to know / follow him regularly ...first it was that Luke wasn’t D1 caliber ...then Iona and ball state offered how it’s “ he’s not big ten caliber”  ...I bet he gets a big ten offer in the next six months then we will see if he shows back up

I'm in the boat with you. I watched Hulls in HS and this kid I think is a better ball handler and shooter than Jordy was at this time in his development. Should we offer...no. Should we show interest and stay close in touch...by all means. CAM needs to let him know what he needs to see from him to garner an offer. Hopefully that will let him know that we are watching. Archie has been doing that with others.

1 hour ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Most people on chat boards know exactly nothing.   Their opinions are what they are, and they have this Norman Rockwell vision of what a Big Ten basketball player looks like.  If Luke Brown wants to go to Indiana, I hope he calls Archie and tells him what Peyton Manning told Bill Polian.  "Take me, or I'll kick your a$$ for 4 years."    I have no idea what Archie's waiting on.  It baffles me.

I'm in the boat with you. I watched Hulls in HS and this kid I think is a better ball handler and shooter than Jordy was at this time in his development. Should we offer...no. Should we show interest and stay close in touch...by all means. CAM needs to let him know what he needs to see from him to garner an offer. Hopefully that will let him know that we are watching. Archie has been doing that with others.

If he is a better ball handler and shooter than Jordan Hulls at the same age, we should offer now and push for a commitment.

He was a four year starter and a key piece to our #1 ranked team.

What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

If he is a better ball handler and shooter than Jordan Hulls at the same age, we should offer now and push for a commitment.

What am I missing?

There is an incredible amount of hand wringing over a guy who does not have a major college offer yet. It's not like Indiana is asleep as a bunch of other schools are offering. Archie clearly has higher priorities, and all major programs appear to be prioritizing other guys over Luke Brown, so he's not on an island. It's great to root for local guys, and by all accounts Brown is a great kid and especially easy to support, so I hope he has a great career. But there's no reason to think Archie is being irresponsible here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Curious how his defense is. With these kind of offensive numbers I can’t imagine even a serviceable defender would be so not on the radar 

I went and saw Blackford's game last year against Northwestern. Taysom Parker went off in the first half but in the 2nd Blackford (finally) put Brown on him and he did a great job. 

He's a smart kid who understands where to be and what is going on. I think he'll end up being considered a strong team defender but an average at best 1 v 1 guy. Depends on how he grows and fills out physically the next few years. One thing it sounds like you can count on is he'll work day and night to improve. He seems to be the kid that will eventually reach his ceiling, whatever that may be.

4 hours ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Perfect approach ...it’s the one Purdue is using as we speak 

2 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Most people on chat boards know exactly nothing.   Their opinions are what they are, and they have this Norman Rockwell vision of what a Big Ten basketball player looks like.  If Luke Brown wants to go to Indiana, I hope he calls Archie and tells him what Peyton Manning told Bill Polian.  "Take me, or I'll kick your a$$ for 4 years."    I have no idea what Archie's waiting on.  It baffles me.

Best ...line...ever

57 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Curious how his defense is. With these kind of offensive numbers I can’t imagine even a serviceable defender would be so not on the radar 

His defense isn’t bad when Blackford actually plays man ...his offensive iq makes him pretty adept at anticipating passes so he gets a lot of steals ...his size currently is my concern I think it would be difficult for him to cover guys with 2-4 inches on him AND 15-30 pounds 

52 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

There is an incredible amount of hand wringing over a guy who does not have a major college offer yet. It's not like Indiana is asleep as a bunch of other schools are offering. Archie clearly has higher priorities, and all major programs appear to be prioritizing other guys over Luke Brown, so he's not on an island. It's great to root for local guys, and by all accounts Brown is a great kid and especially easy to support, so I hope he has a great career. But there's no reason to think Archie is being irresponsible here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re correct he’s easy to root for ...I may be amongst his biggest supporters and I can say without doubt I wouldn’t offer him right now ...I would want to see his physical development over the next twelve months.  Archie IS being irresponsible by not having ANY contact with him.  You’re correct he doesn’t have any “ high major “ offers yet but no one has a High major offer until they get their first high major offer.  Several high major schools ( Purdue specifically ) are staying in regular contact with him.  They aren’t offering yet either, but they’re getting their foot in the door in case he gets bigger and THAT is a low

cost  high potential reward move that is very responsible for their program in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, Crimson and Cream said:

I went and saw Blackford's game last year against Northwestern. Taysom Parker went off in the first half but in the 2nd Blackford (finally) put Brown on him and he did a great job. 

He's a smart kid who understands where to be and what is going on. I think he'll end up being considered a strong team defender but an average at best 1 v 1 guy. Depends on how he grows and fills out physically the next few years. One thing it sounds like you can count on is he'll work day and night to improve. He seems to be the kid that will eventually reach his ceiling, whatever that may be.

These are incredibly accurate observations.  I think you’re spot on in every aspect of this post.  I was at the game also and that’s my read as well.

17 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

What am I missing?

I totally agree Jordy turned out and fit well with that group but in fairness to the critics here, I had the same concerns and critical comments of Jordy...I’m sure it’s far more frequent for those type of size issues to not pan out to a successful situation.  I still have some concerns with Luke from a size perspective.  It’s not that he CANT overcome the obstacle but it’s also not a sure thing.  Rather than offer, I would just make sure to stay in contact and let him know what he can do to improve and make sure he knows we are keeping tabs.  That way if he adds an inch or two or continues to build his frame to a more college ready size we can throw an offer his way and he won’t feel like we didn’t care at all through the process. 

I totally agree Jordy turned out and fit well with that group but in fairness to the critics here, I had the same concerns and critical comments of Jordy...I’m sure it’s far more frequent for those type of size issues to not pan out to a successful situation.  I still have some concerns with Luke from a size perspective.  It’s not that he CANT overcome the obstacle but it’s also not a sure thing.  Rather than offer, I would just make sure to stay in contact and let him know what he can do to improve and make sure he knows we are keeping tabs.  That way if he adds an inch or two or continues to build his frame to a more college ready size we can throw an offer his way and he won’t feel like we didn’t care at all through the process. 

As mentioned before, you seem to know the kid. If he physically develops and IU comes in during his junior year while others have been attending games and building a relationship would he still prefer IU or go to another Big Ten school? Just trying to see how Archie and Staff might be playing this out.

32 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

As mentioned before, you seem to know the kid. If he physically develops and IU comes in during his junior year while others have been attending games and building a relationship would he still prefer IU or go to another Big Ten school? Just trying to see how Archie and Staff might be playing this out.

My honest opinion ? IU was/is a lock if they would even just have marginal/token contact with him over the next couple of years ( this is obviously barring an unforeseen circumstance such as a promise for a starting spot as a freshman or iu singing multiple guards from that class that appear to be 4 year players more skilled than him ).  I get the feeling that if a Purdue or a Wisconsin or an Iowa is contacting him regularly and they have a system and roster that fits him well come 2020 late or 2021 early it wouldn’t shock me at all if he set aside IU being his favorite and went elsewhere.  Right now doesn’t look like that would be a program altering loss but it could be extremely regrettable if he does add size.