Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

It’s not rude to disagree with someone ...I don’t take it personally at all...for debates sake, why don’t you want to be like them from a recruiting standpoint?

Well said. That’s why this is a great site and thanks for asking. My perspective isn’t necessarily right, just my preference. I’ve been fortunate to see IU get to Final Fours and win National Championships and IMO Wisky, ND and PU don’t recruit at a high enough level consistently to be in contention for Final Fours and NC’s on a somewhat regular basis. Unfortunately, IU hasn’t been there for a while either. What’s sad for me is that many of the top recruiting schools appear to cheat regularly with no major punishment from the NCAA.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, 323SGrant said:

Well said. That’s why this is a great site and thanks for asking. My perspective isn’t necessarily right, just my preference. I’ve been fortunate to see IU get to Final Fours and win National Championships and IMO Wisky, ND and PU don’t recruit at a high enough level consistently to be in contention for Final Fours and NC’s on a somewhat regular basis. Unfortunately, IU hasn’t been there for a while either. What’s sad for me is that many of the top recruiting schools appear to cheat regularly with no major punishment from the NCAA.

Now that is something we can definitely agree on.  I hate nothing more and strongly feel that’s why less of the top

level talent kids have a strong desire to grow up and “play for” a school or coach.  The Damon baileys of the world used to dream of going to IU and learning from coach knight ...now the Damon baileys of the world have everyone kissing their rear end starting in sixth grade and they want to know who the highest bidder is and who can get them an endorsement lined up early.  It’s sad.  I also agree as you saw in my post that we should be looking down on those four schools from a recruiting standpoint.  I think what we need is a hybrid system.  Duke didn’t win this year with 3 of the top 4 freshman in the country one of which was generational ...they couldn’t win and honestly we can’t compete to expect that type of singing annually.  It seems like we still try though and expect it to work  and more often than not we end up with a team full of second choices that still have the sense of entitlement the first choices do.  I would like to see us sign 10-11 3 or 4 year playeras a la wisky nd pu butler and then use the clout we still have to pick up the best Indiana or mid west players either annually or semi annually knowing we have them for a year or two only but their talent can push us past the mid tier.

we never had culture or leadership problems with three and four year guys like bailey Henderson nover graham Evans Coverdale fife etc ...get that system back running and when you throw in an occasional Romeo I don’t think that built culture will allow it to look Iike a trainwreck.

Now that is something we can definitely agree on.  I hate nothing more and strongly feel that’s why less of the top
level talent kids have a strong desire to grow up and “play for” a school or coach.  The Damon baileys of the world used to dream of going to IU and learning from coach knight ...now the Damon baileys of the world have everyone kissing their rear end starting in sixth grade and they want to know who the highest bidder is and who can get them an endorsement lined up early.  It’s sad.  I also agree as you saw in my post that we should be looking down on those four schools from a recruiting standpoint.  I think what we need is a hybrid system.  Duke didn’t win this year with 3 of the top 4 freshman in the country one of which was generational ...they couldn’t win and honestly we can’t compete to expect that type of singing annually.  It seems like we still try though and expect it to work  and more often than not we end up with a team full of second choices that still have the sense of entitlement the first choices do.  I would like to see us sign 10-11 3 or 4 year playeras a la wisky nd pu butler and then use the clout we still have to pick up the best Indiana or mid west players either annually or semi annually knowing we have them for a year or two only but their talent can push us past the mid tier.
we never had culture or leadership problems with three and four year guys like bailey Henderson nover graham Evans Coverdale fife etc ...get that system back running and when you throw in an occasional Romeo I don’t think that built culture will allow it to look Iike a trainwreck.

Sounds good to me. I would like to see a mixture of some higher level players like Henderson, Bailey, Cheaney, the Graham’s, Isaiah, Zeller, Yogi, Eric Anderson, Gordon, Jay Edwards (without his baggage) et al, along with some solid four year players to get IU back to competing for Final Fours.

Yogi?  Is Park Tudor 2A?   

Yeah. I would just point out park Tudor is a private school where they basically can recruit kids. A little different then a 2a public school. That run park Tudor had with yogi and bluiett they were a top 5 team in the state regardless of class. Public vs Private/Prep is always an interesting conversation when it comes to Indiana high school basketball.

37 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Yeah. I would just point out park Tudor is a private school where they basically can recruit kids. A little different then a 2a public school. That run park Tudor had with yogi and bluiett they were a top 5 team in the state regardless of class. Public vs Private/Prep is always an interesting conversation when it comes to Indiana high school basketball.

Agreed ....best take I have seen on it ...that I think I share ...is that the private schools which can recruit should play one class higher than their attendance and then should still be subject to the bump up success factor every two years...example 1A Blackhawk Christian should always play 2A but if they get enough success points in a two year period they should bump to 3A etc

3 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

I may be misinterpreting the rules, but i'm not sure that is entirely true. According to the document regarding IHSAA eligibility requirements, "You do not transfer from one school to another primarily for athletic reasons." Also, "You, your parents or guardians have not been influenced by any person to secure you as a student at a member school." 

The way I read these requirements, you'd have to be able to afford to go to Park Tudor to transfer there. I dated a girl that attended Park Tudor my senior year at IU and, IIRC, her tuition was around $18K a year. 

2 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

I may be misinterpreting the rules, but i'm not sure that is entirely true. According to the document regarding IHSAA eligibility requirements, "You do not transfer from one school to another primarily for athletic reasons." Also, "You, your parents or guardians have not been influenced by any person to secure you as a student at a member school." 

The way I read these requirements, you'd have to be able to afford to go to Park Tudor to transfer there. I dated a girl that attended Park Tudor my senior year at IU and, IIRC, her tuition was around $18K a year. 

With regards to Yogi, his mom is a doctor so I doubt his family is broke or anything. Also, don't private schools in this state give out scholarships pretty regularly? I could be wrong (probably am).

Alright alright alright
The only role I ever liked him in and it was one of his first. Also a Late 20's MM digging 16 year old girls is slightly different than a 22 year old digging an 18 year old. That said still funny anytime you get to use that line.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

Agreed ....best take I have seen on it ...that I think I share ...is that the private schools which can recruit should play one class higher than their attendance and then should still be subject to the bump up success factor every two years...example 1A Blackhawk Christian should always play 2A but if they get enough success points in a two year period they should bump to 3A etc
Here in Illinois, we have a multiplier for Private schools. If a Private school has a successful Tournament run and brings home a State Trophy, 1.65(ar close to that) is multiplied to their enrollment for classification purposes in that sport fir the next 3 yrs. Most of the time, the Private Scool is forced up a class. If it an exclusive single sex school, their enrollment is doubled for classification purposes. If they have State success, the Multiplier is then used for that enrollment.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Hollywood Mike Miranda said:

With regards to Yogi, his mom is a doctor so I doubt his family is broke or anything. Also, don't private schools in this state give out scholarships pretty regularly? I could be wrong (probably am).

I always thought that was the case but that second provision seems to prohibit athletic scholarships. I would consider an athletic scholarship to an academic institution as an attempt to influence the player to attend the institution. Schools like LaLu are exempt because they aren't member schools, but Park Tudor, Cathedral, Brebeuf, etc. would all fall under that "member institution" umbrella.

44 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Here in Illinois, we have a multiplier for Private schools. If a Private school has a successful Tournament run and brings home a State Trophy, 1.65(ar close to that) is multiplied to their enrollment for classification purposes in that sport fir the next 3 yrs. Most of the time, the Private Scool is forced up a class. If it an exclusive single sex school, their enrollment is doubled for classification purposes. If they have State success, the Multiplier is then used for that enrollment.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

We have a success factor for two years of performance that applies to all teams

1 hour ago, Bigred3588 said:

You’re correct ...brebuf is up to 25 k ....if you really wanna be floored check out culver ( success factor moved them from 3 A to 4 A this year ) .....living on campuses is 50K per year per student ....how would ya like that bill with two or three children ?  It’s my distinct imprsssion that all the private schools ( cathedral, Bishop custard, black hawk Christian ) CAN offer discounts or paid tuition.  I’m not certain if that applies to

transfers or if they have to get them from junior high to be exempt....regardless...it allows them to cherry pick outside district ....if culver called my 8th grade daughter and said come to school here for free and play these sports and join these clubs I would drag her straight there every step of the way because it’s an amazing educational opportunity ...hard to turn down