Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

20 hours ago, coonhounds said:

I don't want to look like a stalker or anything but I really hope iu recruits this kid. I think he will be a high level shooter even in college. Really surprised how many are so caught up on competition level. Kid can shoot and we need shooters.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

This is my thinking, too.  I hope the staff gauges and follows his progress and keeps some sort of interest in him known (if they do in fact have any interest).  He may not end up in Bloomington because other recruits might be viewed as having more to offer Indiana, but then again, maybe not.  Two things are for sure...the kid can pass and the kid can shoot.  Matt Roth had serious downsides, but it sure was nice to call his number when Indiana needed a cold hand to come out and become immediately hot.  Whether Brown would be okay as a role player for a couple years or more is something he may have to consider (if an offer is made) and whether playing for your dream school is worth those types of sacrifices.  Then again, he may progress and mature into a player who comes in and makes more of an impact than a role player can.

To post on a thread about a player you're in close contact with is nothing but a blessing for those wanting to know more about the recruit down the road.  For those that don't want to know anymore and have already written the recruit off, I'm not sure I see a reason to comment, much less scroll through a 29-page thread to create a count of some other member's posts.  It is his prerogative if he wishes to do that, just as a guy in Hartford City should be allowed to post as often as he wishes with relevant information (or even personal excitement).  My only complaint is when accusations of being a child stalker were brought up, as we all know there are adults across the globe attending sporting events to watch in awe the performances of young athletes. As a father, the threat of child stalkers is extremely grotesque and scary...so making an accusation such as the one made on here merely because someone from Hartford City was posting with enthusiasm about a talented high school basketball player in Hartford City (something so many others do routinely) was alarming and uncalled for.

I will admit I have been more active on this thread than on some others (and less so than on some others), but that has a lot to do with the fact I was able to watch the kid in person and because I have been responding in a WELCOMING manner to a new member who has more of an insider account of the player (and the person) than I do.  I wish we had someone like this for the Blackmon thread too, as this race for the record could become fun and interesting.  I love the history and lore of Indiana high school basketball, and this could be history in the making.  And I guarantee you the history books won't keep Brown's name off the list just because he played in a small town against "weak competition".

Brown is, admittedly, not at the top of my wishlist of recruits right now (and he may never be), but the story is an interesting one and it could certainly become even more interesting in the next couple years.  Those not interested can remain disinterested...just let those that are interested continue to be.  Easy enough.

I would love for this thread to get back to posts about Brown, rather than remaining an ongoing argument over whether someone’s too excited about a high school player or any attempts to control that level of enthusiasm. Yes, I realize I helped stir the argument and just added to the argument again. My apologies. I will keep it strictly about Brown from here on out.

Halftime ....Luke is 3-6 for ten points all in 1q....only shot he took in second half was from 3 quarters quart at buzzer.  Delta was up by 4 with 6 minutes left in second quarter now are up 20-15 ....Luke has one of the assists on the other two Bruin scores ....Stroble 0-5 with 2 air balls

40 minutes ago, A.j. Nigh said:

Ventured to New Castle tonight with my 16 yr old son.  Unfortunately,  we arrived late due to his track practice.  Knew it would be packed, didn’t expect to have to park west of the hall of fame and have a 5 minute walk though.  

Walked into true Hoosier Hysteria and standing room only and found a standing spot 2 rows deep to watch the final minute of New Castle/Hamilton Heights.  Hardly anyone left after the first game but we managed to find a couple seats in the middle of the Blackford section.

Unfortunately for Luke, his team was just outmatched and he was essentially double teamed at the top of the zone by a bigger longer Delta team.  I liked what I saw.  As others have said good handle, very impressive range, and what I liked the most - incredible passing and vision.  I’d add he has very good IQ and feel for the game.  

Would I offer him a scholarship if I was Archie?  No, not yet.  I’d like to see how he does over the summer not only against good competition, but with better teammates.  Having teammates who could finish his assists and outside threats to not allow double teams, would allow him to create for himself and others easier.  I like the potential and I think he’s got the “it” factor, but I’m in a holding pattern for 6-12 months.  

Great insight ...you called it perfectly and I couldn’t agree more.  Luke has played high level aau and has played with and against Lander first and Blackmon in summer and fall  circuits.  It really opens his game when he has two other competent scorers because as you aptly pointed out the other Blackford kids weren’t even able to pass or catch the ball without losing it and if his second option Stroble isn’t hitting ( started 0-8 with 4 air balls) it is really tough against a good team.  I’m glad you watched him I really think you’ll grow on him next year if he gets  a little bigger .  I’d just send ambassadors to the game to show a presence and take a look during first quarter of next year.

6 hours ago, ray said:

This is my thinking, too.  I hope the staff gauges and follows his progress and keeps some sort of interest in him known (if they do in fact have any interest).  He may not end up in Bloomington because other recruits might be viewed as having more to offer Indiana, but then again, maybe not.  Two things are for sure...the kid can pass and the kid can shoot.  Matt Roth had serious downsides, but it sure was nice to call his number when Indiana needed a cold hand to come out and become immediately hot.  Whether Brown would be okay as a role player for a couple years or more is something he may have to consider (if an offer is made) and whether playing for your dream school is worth those types of sacrifices.  Then again, he may progress and mature into a player who comes in and makes more of an impact than a role player can.

To post on a thread about a player you're in close contact with is nothing but a blessing for those wanting to know more about the recruit down the road.  For those that don't want to know anymore and have already written the recruit off, I'm not sure I see a reason to comment, much less scroll through a 29-page thread to create a count of some other member's posts.  It is his prerogative if he wishes to do that, just as a guy in Hartford City should be allowed to post as often as he wishes with relevant information (or even personal excitement).  My only complaint is when accusations of being a child stalker were brought up, as we all know there are adults across the globe attending sporting events to watch in awe the performances of young athletes. As a father, the threat of child stalkers is extremely grotesque and scary...so making an accusation such as the one made on here merely because someone from Hartford City was posting with enthusiasm about a talented high school basketball player in Hartford City (something so many others do routinely) was alarming and uncalled for.

I will admit I have been more active on this thread than on some others (and less so than on some others), but that has a lot to do with the fact I was able to watch the kid in person and because I have been responding in a WELCOMING manner to a new member who has more of an insider account of the player (and the person) than I do.  I wish we had someone like this for the Blackmon thread too, as this race for the record could become fun and interesting.  I love the history and lore of Indiana high school basketball, and this could be history in the making.  And I guarantee you the history books won't keep Brown's name off the list just because he played in a small town against "weak competition".

Brown is, admittedly, not at the top of my wishlist of recruits right now (and he may never be), but the story is an interesting one and it could certainly become even more interesting in the next couple years.  Those not interested can remain disinterested...just let those that are interested continue to be.  Easy enough.

I would love for this thread to get back to posts about Brown, rather than remaining an ongoing argument over whether someone’s too excited about a high school player or any attempts to control that level of enthusiasm. Yes, I realize I helped stir the argument and just added to the argument again. My apologies. I will keep it strictly about Brown from here on out.

Thanks for making me feel welcome and I look forward to open discussion as he ( hopefully ) develops 

2 hours ago, Hoosier DaDa said:

Glad to see my high school the Delta Eagles remain unbeaten. I was class of 1990 boy I feel old.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

You’ve got a great team I expect you’ll go far ...best I saw this year.  They were able to dedicate two guys to Luke primarily and their other 3 made  Blackfords four look invisible 

6 hours ago, Hoosier DaDa said:

Glad to see my high school the Delta Eagles remain unbeaten. I was class of 1990 boy I feel old.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

Detweiler was the long time coach and assistant AD at my school before the move to Delta. Great guy and Im glad to see him have success at Delta.

Was at Blackford awards banquet last night and jerry actually discussed scheduling in his address to the team and parents.  Blackford was invited to the North Davies tournament last year and will get a minimum of 3 games against mostly higher level teams ...we also may have one contract drop us so our AD can scramble to try and find a competitive program for an extra spot ....we will habe TWO slots open for 2021 to fill and finally in conjunction with the opening of the new basketball facility coach Hoover has started planning a 12 team tournament for Blackford to host in 2021.  I think you’ll see he does a decent job of beefing up the weak part of the schedule and showcasing properly once he actually has some schedule flexibility. 

7 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Was at Blackford awards banquet last night and jerry actually discussed scheduling in his address to the team and parents.  Blackford was invited to the North Davies tournament last year and will get a minimum of 3 games against mostly higher level teams ...we also may have one contract drop us so our AD can scramble to try and find a competitive program for an extra spot ....we will habe TWO slots open for 2021 to fill and finally in conjunction with the opening of the new basketball facility coach Hoover has started planning a 12 team tournament for Blackford to host in 2021.  I think you’ll see he does a decent job of beefing up the weak part of the schedule and showcasing properly once he actually has some schedule flexibility. 

Have them work with Norwell to get that scheduled.  Playing Homestead every year does us no good when they are bigger and non-conference.  At least Blackford would be a potential Sectional match up.

11 minutes ago, HoosierCoop said:

Have them work with Norwell to get that scheduled.  Playing Homestead every year does us no good when they are bigger and non-conference.  At least Blackford would be a potential Sectional match up.

I would love having Norwell back in the schedule ...you guys are still 3A right ? Blackford is moving to 2A so sectional is out but still a solid match up and only a 40 minute drive...also both have fairly good sized gyms