Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

I'll make the comparison again.  Brody Boyd played at Union Dugger and their schedule was and is far worse than Blackford's.  Currently, so small they're not even in a sectional; and back when Boyd played, they played schools like Shakamak, Tecumseh, Bloomfield, North Central of Farmersburg, Eminence, White River Valley, and Jac Cen Del.   It's clearly not without precedent that a kid like Boyd or Brown comes out of the cornfields and does some good things at a high college level.  Maybe not as a freshman and maybe not as a sophomore; but Boyd made 195 three pointers at Iowa and was a solid contributor as a junior and senior, starting 29 games as a senior under Alford.
Blackford is in the same sectional as New Castle and Delta, who is undefeated.  We'll likely get to see them play better competition; but their Sagarin rating is 132 of 410, so it's not like they're scraping the bottom.
For the simple sake of reference....one of Blackford's losses was to Northwestern.   Lost 90-79.  Northwestern is 18-1, having beaten Tipton (northern suburb of Indy), Frankfort (where they filmed Blue Chips and a basketball crazy town), Hamilton Heights (just north of Westfield/Carmel), and West Lafayette coached by a guy named David Wood who's been there....25 years, won over 340 games, and knows what the hell he's doing.  Northwestern's defensive average is 47.1.  Blackford scored 32 points above NW's average.
Blackford is 6th in Indiana in scoring; 23rd in scoring margin
Dumb of Hoover to play not a single sectional opponent in the regular season.  Why any coach does that is beyond me.
I'm not suggesting at all that Brown would be an immediate asset; and I know everyone wants kids who will contribute immediately; but I think he's a gamble worth taking.   It should be noted that Blackford - as it says in the video above - lost 61 straight games before he got there; and they are 13-4 this season.
The last part, to me, is why Hoover won't schedule those tough games. 61 straight losses, and now they are enjoying the taste of success with Brown. He doesn't want to kill that momentum and confidence while they are still building (showcasing) Brown in his early hs years.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up I had no clue they opened back up as a private school

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

OT article on Boyd that is interesting
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/08/03/brody-boyd-returns-hometown-dugger-steve-alford-bob-knight-iowa-iu-basketball-ihsaa/795983002/

4 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

They did, but are now playing a varsity schedule again.  Think they opened it as a private school with < 70 kids at the high school level.  Could be wrong...

They are playing a varsity schedule but the school size isn't the reason for not being in a sectional. That would be because they either aren't a state association school or they haven't been a state association school for school for at least three years which I think is required to be in an IHSAA sectional. 

6 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

They are playing a varsity schedule but the school size isn't the reason for not being in a sectional. That would be because they either aren't a state association school or they haven't been a state association school for school for at least three years which I think is required to be in an IHSAA sectional. 

It's the second one. They closed for a year, then reopened a year later and has not been a state association school for 3 years though. 

11 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I'll make the comparison again.  Brody Boyd played at Union Dugger and their schedule was and is far worse than Blackford's.  Currently, so small they're not even in a sectional; and back when Boyd played, they played schools like Shakamak, Tecumseh, Bloomfield, North Central of Farmersburg, Eminence, White River Valley, and Jac Cen Del.   It's clearly not without precedent that a kid like Boyd or Brown comes out of the cornfields and does some good things at a high college level.  Maybe not as a freshman and maybe not as a sophomore; but Boyd made 195 three pointers at Iowa and was a solid contributor as a junior and senior, starting 29 games as a senior under Alford.

Blackford is in the same sectional as New Castle and Delta, who is undefeated.  We'll likely get to see them play better competition; but their Sagarin rating is 132 of 410, so it's not like they're scraping the bottom.

For the simple sake of reference....one of Blackford's losses was to Northwestern.   Lost 90-79.  Northwestern is 18-1, having beaten Tipton (northern suburb of Indy), Frankfort (where they filmed Blue Chips and a basketball crazy town), Hamilton Heights (just north of Westfield/Carmel), and West Lafayette coached by a guy named David Wood who's been there....25 years, won over 340 games, and knows what the hell he's doing.  Northwestern's defensive average is 47.1.  Blackford scored 32 points above NW's average.

Blackford is 6th in Indiana in scoring; 23rd in scoring margin

Dumb of Hoover to play not a single sectional opponent in the regular season.  Why any coach does that is beyond me.

I'm not suggesting at all that Brown would be an immediate asset; and I know everyone wants kids who will contribute immediately; but I think he's a gamble worth taking.   It should be noted that Blackford - as it says in the video above - lost 61 straight games before he got there; and they are 13-4 this season.

A winner. I like that he puts it on himself. From all accounts, he lives in the gym. We could use another gym rat that works to get better. It has always been good for us to have a player like that. It can be infectious. Thats the culture that produces winning!

It's the second one. They closed for a year, then reopened a year later and has not been a state association school for 3 years though. 

Brown needs to keep improving and the offers will come he is only a sophomore so plenty of time for teams to jump in

After doing some research Union reapplied for the IHSAA last year. They are a provisional member and are eligible for the ihsaa tournament in the year 2022-23.

37 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

They closed the school because of numbers.   You're right on your comment about the IHSAA.

Some of you know this, but some of you may not. I didn't until I became involved with coaching. When you schedule games outside of conference you usually sign a multi-season contract with that school. It's really not possible to change your schedule because you have one good player. Other schools have to have openings on their schedule and if Brown's team is historically not good, why would teams want to add them?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Some of you know this, but some of you may not. I didn't until I became involved with coaching. When you schedule games outside of conference you usually sign a multi-season contract with that school. It's really not possible to change your schedule because you have one good player. Other schools have to have openings on their schedule and if Brown's team is historically not good, why would teams want to add them?

Correct and they are dropping to 2A next year. Also it is possible to drop teams but you have to pay a fee for breaking the contract and that might be something that Blackford isn’t willing to do. I wouldn’t be surprised if there aren’t a couple changes to their schedule for best year though.

2019 North Daviess Old National Bank Classic

Class

School

Record

Notable Players

1A

Barr-Reeve

18-2

Keegan O’Neill

1A

Loogootee

7-12

NA

2A

Blackford

14-4

Luke Brown

Brandon Stroble

2A

North Daviess

15-6

NA

2A

South Knox

14-6

NA

3A

Rushville

7-11

Logan Graddy

3A

Brownstown Central

14-5

NA

3A

Southridge

15-5

Colson Montgomery

For the people talking about Blackford adding some tougher teams to their schedule here you go. This should help a little depending on who Blackford gets matched up with. 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Luke Brown hits 2 FT followed by 4 straight by Brandon Stroble in last 15 seconds. Bruins improve to 15-4 after a 65-59 win over the scrappy Raiders.  Brown 34 pts.

At halftime it was reported he had18 points / 5 assists / 3 rebounds / 4 steals.

And Southern Wells sucks....just sayin'

Watched a replay of the Blackford vs Southern Wells.  SW was down as much as 18 points with 3 min. left in the 2nd and cut it to a 9 point deficit at halftime.  With 4 min. left in the game they were only down 2.  Not the most talented team but they were feisty and never quit and did a really good job and pounding the ball inside against Blackford.  Played good perimeter defense on Brown and he was only 1-5 on 3's.  He was 9-17 overall on FGs and 15-16 FTs.  He had 5 reb; 4 assts; 2 stls; 4 TO.   

9 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Brown finishes with 33 points and five assists. Shot 13-for-32 from field. Didn’t get much help tonight. Wabash is very good. Final: Wabash 75, Blackford 53.
Kyle Neddenriep

Wabash just took it right at Blackford from the very start.  Blackford's team defense was pretty poor - late getting back; didn't box out.  Brown just 2-11 on 3's and only had 5 FTs hitting all 5; 6 reb; 1 stl; 4 TO's and 5 assists as USPS noted above.  Blackford was down 12 at the end of the 1st Q and never did make a run to get back into the game

2 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Brown finishes with 33 points and five assists. Shot 13-for-32 from field. Didn’t get much help tonight. Wabash is very good. Final: Wabash 75, Blackford 53.
Kyle Neddenriep

No, Blackford is very bad.  Luke has no help whatsoever.  Southern Wells is bad and Blackford snuck by them.  Right now it is a one man show, albeit very good, but it very difficult to play 1 on 5.  My guess would be the Bruins are one and done come sectional time, and it won't be Luke's fault.