Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

59 minutes ago, Demo said:

Yeah, if you’re going to have an elite skill, he’s got the one to have. Great balance. Quick, simple release. Love it. Doubt if he ever gets into slumps. Handle looks pretty tight. Seems to see the whole floor. But, athletically, he’s a mile away. Doesn’t run well. No explosion downhill. Doesn’t move well laterally. We’ve all heard the comparisons to Zeisloft and Roth and Damon and Alford. He’s not as athletic as any of them. He’s really going to have to mature physically to have any chance to defend. Today he has no chance. A kid like Armaan Franklin would embarrass him. His inability to stay frontal would create constant defensive scramble situations. I would love to say I think he has a chance to be a Jordan Bohanon. I think that’s the only chance he has to play for Archie. CAM doesn’t seem interested in 6’1” guys playing off the ball. But right now, IMO, he’s got a long way to go. But that shot gives him a chance and makes him worth a follow. 

Does anyone know his AAU plans?

Of course AF would, dude is only a sophomore.

I spent this afternoon watching the replays of Browns' game against Oak Hill last night and its prior game against Northwestern.  

Last night, Blackford crushed Oak Hill 76-53 in a game that was over in the first couple of minutes as BHS led 33-16 at the end of the 1st Q and Brown already had 16 points.  It was once said of a former IU player that he couldn't guard a chair.  IMO Oak Hill as a team couldn't guard a corpse.  They attempted to play Brown 1 on 1 and gave him waaaay too much room and they paid dearly for it.  He finished with 39 pts. and didn't leave the game until just a minute left in the 4th Q although BHS basically stopped trying to score with 4 min. left.  I had him for 15-23 FG; 6-10 on 3's; 3-4 FT; 1 reb; 5 assts; 5 TO.

Last Tuesday night Blackford was beaten by Northwestern 90-79 who played a tight man-to-man on Brown and made him work for every point.  He did not make his first bucket until midway through the 2nd Q although he did finish with 34 pts. on 11-21 FG; 5-8 on 3's; 7-7 FT; 2 reb; 7 assts; 4 TO.

My impression is that he's not that efficient at driving the lane and scoring but he's a deadly jump shooter if he has the room.  BHS played a straight man-to-man defense against Northwestern and Brown's responsibility the entire game was Tayson Parker.  Parker scored 41 pts. and beat Brown off the dribble for lay-ups numerous times.  As good of a scorer as he is, Brown's defensive abilities are pretty weak IMO.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2019/02/06/blackford-phenom-luke-brown-leads-state-scoring-lifts-community-gregg-doyel-indiana-basketball/2779212002/?fbclid=IwAR0UIEXhlmUiwfb4mT1yKliOUOcNK8RCnB1eCVekoIWsO1421fFOyZ3I8Wo

For what it's worth, Blackford is currently ranked 136th of 410 schools in Sagarin's computer ranking.   Not great, but ahead of Indy Tech, Plymouth, McCutcheon, Vincennes (all 4A schools with some "history") and a whole bunch of other 4A schools.  

In the video here, he looks just fine getting into the paint; but I'm not sure any school will need him to do that at the next level.  I really don't see a downside giving this kid serious consideration.   He's only a sophomore...and likely knows exactly what he needs to do to play at the next level.

This will be streamed Tuesday evening.

Ball State’s NewsLink Indiana will be doing a feature on Coach Hoover and Luke Brown tomorrow night. If interested, the piece was filmed today and will be live streamed at 9pm tomorrow at https://www.facebook.com/NewsLinkBSU/

25 minutes ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Gregg Doyle of IndyStar after watching a recent Luke Brown performance. `He could step on any floor offensively, and play in the B10!' Much different opinion on his defensive prowess.

That's the feeling I got from watching too, but I do want to see how much bigger he gets. He's a smart player and that could help cover up some physical limitations on that end. 

Archie needs to lock this kid down like yesterday. He's exactly what the doctor ordered...could end up being a Jordy Hulls type player.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
Seems to have pretty good court vision and can get into the lane

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just asking, because I don’t know, but has he played games against “talent” (ie just not guys that would be pretty good at the HYPER) ?  Is he going to, or has he already, play in competitive AAU?

Just asking, because I don’t know, but has he played games against “talent” (ie just not guys that would be pretty good at the HYPER) ?  Is he going to, or has he already, play in competitive AAU?

He play’s for Indiana Elite and yes he’s played and will be playing a few games against high school teams that have at least one college level talent on them although it might not be a D1 kid in all of those games.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I re-watched Brown's game against Daleville and his 54 point scoring binge.  Before the game, the 2 game announcers were predicting a 35-40 point margin of victory for Blackford and the final score was 93-59.  With 3'25" left in the 2nd Q, Daleville actually took a 30-29 lead but it was all Blackford after that.

For the game, I had Brown with 20-32 FG's; 5-13 on 3's; 9-10 FT; 8 assists; 3 stls; 2 TO's;1 blk.  Someone indicated he could have had another 10 assists if teammates hadn't missed layups.  Not something I was particularly watching for and I only counted 3 such instances.

Of his 19 2-point field goal attempts most were on drives to the basket.  To say Daleville had a matador defense would be reasonably accurate and also helps explain why he made 15 of those 19 attempts.  In part, I suppose it's to make sure he stays out of foul trouble, but he really doesn't make much of an effort to keep his man from driving around him.

By quarters:

#1 - 8 points on 3-8 FG; 0-3 on 3's and 2-3 FT

#2 - 13 points on 6-8 FG; 1-2 on 3's and no FT.

#3 - 22 points on 7-8 FG; 3-4 on 3's and 5-5 FT.

#4 - 11 points on 4-8 FG; 1-4 on 3's and 2-2 FT.

I re-watched Brown's game against Daleville and his 54 point scoring binge.  Before the game, the 2 game announcers were predicting a 35-40 point margin of victory for Blackford and the final score was 93-59.  With 3'25" left in the 2nd Q, Daleville actually took a 30-29 lead but it was all Blackford after that.
For the game, I had Brown with 20-32 FG's; 5-13 on 3's; 9-10 FT; 8 assists; 3 stls; 2 TO's;1 blk.  Someone indicated he could have had another 10 assists if teammates hadn't missed layups.  Not something I was particularly watching for and I only counted 3 such instances.
Of his 19 2-point field goal attempts most were on drives to the basket.  To say Daleville had a matador defense would be reasonably accurate and also helps explain why he made 15 of those 19 attempts.  In part, I suppose it's to make sure he stays out of foul trouble, but he really doesn't make much of an effort to keep his man from driving around him.
By quarters:

Yeah our defense wasn’t the best last night once our pg got two fouls we didn’t have anyone to laterally quick enough to keep up with him.

16 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

By quarters:

Yeah, maybe he can play a little defense but Hoover doesn't push it on him because they need him in the game. His foot quickness is not bad. Has to have it for cutting and driving. Still only a Soph!

A little story going around about his shooting. Coach Hoover came in one morning as Brown was getting up some pre-class shots. One drill had him shoot 100 3's from different 10 spots behind the arc. As Hoover tells it...kid made 97 of them. SMH as in different contexts. Unbelief or disbelief!

On 2/13/2019 at 1:05 AM, ap2345 said:

He play’s for Indiana Elite and yes he’s played and will be playing a few games against high school teams that have at least one college level talent on them although it might not be a D1 kid in all of those games.

Brian Snow said that he has tried several times to get them to play in the Forum Tipoff game he puts on at Southport each year and Hoover has no interest in playing in it. I also know that several big schools have tried to play them and Hoover won't return phone calls. They like playing the sisters of the poor and have no interest in seeing Brown play against someone good IMO