Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

1 minute ago, ap2345 said:

My opinions are based on my own perspective as I’ve watched him close to 20 times since the fall before his freshman year. One of those games I sat and talked to former D1, D2, and D3 players about him. They all said he is a mid major right now but if he can improve on defense then he is a high major kid. One of those guys was also a D2 assistant at one point. He does get double and triple teamed most nights. I’ve watched it in person and on scout film multiple times. However I can tell you with 100% certainty he will probably be guarded straight up in a few games rather soon so we’ll see what happens. If you base everything off insiders than that’s fine but they also tend to be wrong about kids rather often. Desmond Bane says hello.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

You just made my point for me. You’ve seen him 20 times against competition that scouts/insiders think is worthless to even evaluate him in. Insiders are right more often than not. Using one outlier to prove your narrative? I guess we’ll all start thinking every top 150 player we get is going to turn into an All American like Oladipo. 

You just made my point for me. You’ve seen him 20 times against competition that scouts/insiders think is worthless to even evaluate him in. Insiders are right more often than not. Using one outlier to prove your narrative? I guess we’ll all start thinking every top 150 player we get is going to turn into an All American like Oladipo. 

False. 10 of those times he was playing in the Metro Indy League. Fall league that TJD, Eric Hunter, Aaron Henry and others were playing in. One of those games was against Pierce Thomas who IU has shown interest in. That’s not 1 outlier. I could put together an entire list mostly from Indiana but whatever floats your boat. I don’t really care I’m just tired of seeing IU not go after kids and then they turn into a stud someplace else. It’s happened time and again.

This is Blackford’s 90-79 loss against 3A #5 Northwestern led by Tayson Parker. Parker scores 41 and Brown 34. 24 of Browns came in the second half. I’ll put this here so people can draw their own conclusions. Also if you watch the announcers are pretty annoying imo.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

7 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

This is Blackford’s 90-79 loss against 3A #5 Northwestern led by Tayson Parker. Parker scores 41 and Brown 34. 24 of Browns came in the second half. I’ll put this here so people can draw their own conclusions.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Those announcers though

23 hours ago, VO5 said:

It’s my understanding that Parker is a pretty lackluster defender

The comments you have made here have all been finding the negative in every comment made about Brown and anti "white guy from Indiana."  That's fine....but haven't you seen enough of these AAU all stars to understand that doesn't always translate to success in the Big Ten?   Teams that have kids that understand how to play the game, not just the sport, succeed in college.  Surely you noticed that.....last night?    

So you're not sold on Brown because he plays a bad schedule (so did Boyd, but you think that's irrelevant); he played well against a highly regarded player (but you heard the kid is a poor defender); and you subscribe to smaller schools with better basketball players (I didn't say athletes) is simply a narrative and everyone who sees it that way can't see the forest through the trees.    Is that right?   I'm just quoting you.

So help me.  Indiana has lost 8 of 9 games.  Indiana has finished 7th or worse in the Big Ten 4 of the last 6 seasons and this will be the 5th time in 7 years; even leaving out Crean's first 3 years......with a whole bunch of AAU stars and kids who weren't gym rat basketball players from wherever....not the point, really.  You think Luke Brown won't succeed.....why, exactly?    

I have no idea if Luke Brown is a viable Big 10 prospect. That said, a guy who can shoot lights out can be an asset in the right system, even if he's a bit of a liability on defense. Nick Zeisloft had defensive limitations, and there were games that he couldn't play because of it. But there were a lot of games that his ability to stretch the floor completely changed the game. Going further back, Jordy Hulls was a defensive liability, but elite shooters change the game. I would take a slow guy who could rain threes on this Indiana team right now.

Athletes are great, and we obviously need them. But we're dealing with a team right now that is long on athletes and short on basketball skill. At some point you need shooters or else you end up with teams packing the lane like they are against us. Romeo would get an extra 5 points a game if the defense had to respect the 3 against us because it would open up the lane.

I have no idea if Luke Brown is a viable Big 10 prospect. That said, a guy who can shoot lights out can be an asset in the right system, even if he's a bit of a liability on defense. Nick Zeisloft had defensive limitations, and there were games that he couldn't play because of it. But there were a lot of games that his ability to stretch the floor completely changed the game. Going further back, Jordy Hulls was a defensive liability, but elite shooters change the game. I would take a slow guy who could rain threes on this Indiana team right now.
Athletes are great, and we obviously need them. But we're dealing with a team right now that is long on athletes and short on basketball skill. At some point you need shooters or else you end up with teams packing the lane like they are against us. Romeo would get an extra 5 points a game if the defense had to respect the 3 against us because it would open up the lane.

Defense is important but you can get by with one defender not being an athlete. How many teams have one shooter that you could put a Matt Roth, Jordy Hulls, or Nick Zeisloft on to chase around? Cline, Bohanon, McQuaid, etc. We’re lacking players that can’t close out with a hand up, players that get screened and stop working, andt players that don’t understand positioning. If Brown has these intangibles I’m a fan. Brown won’t be given the keys to run the show his freshman year. He’ll have 2 guards long and athlete enough that he could slide over and defend off the ball when he’s getting spot minutes.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

5 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

OK boys and girls.  You can watch Brown in action tonight against Oak Hill.  Scheduled 7:00 tipoff. 

You can also watch his last game against Northwestern at 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpZOSobj8fg_OQDl0pKDMKw

Haha my grand entrance at 15:40 of the Northwestern video

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

OK boys and girls.  You can watch Brown in action tonight against Oak Hill.  Scheduled 7:00 tipoff. 

You can also watch his last game against Northwestern at 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpZOSobj8fg_OQDl0pKDMKw

Sir, thanks for posting this. The back and forth on this kid,  given how few people have actually seen him, is fascinating. Really looking forward to this game.

Luke Brown becomes the fastest player to 1000 points in his career after a long range 3 midway through the 1st. Luke accomplished this tremendous feat in just his 32nd career game.  Per John Harrell, Damon didn't reach 1,000 until his 40th game although he had 999 through his 39th game.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to trust the staff on whether or not this kid fits what we're trying to do. But, I was impressed! Crazy range on his shot, terrific passing skills, and decent ball handling. For me, the bottom line is he can play and will find a place somewhere in the college game.

7 hours ago, Old Friend said:

The comments you have made here have all been finding the negative in every comment made about Brown and anti "white guy from Indiana."  That's fine....but haven't you seen enough of these AAU all stars to understand that doesn't always translate to success in the Big Ten?   Teams that have kids that understand how to play the game, not just the sport, succeed in college.  Surely you noticed that.....last night?    

So you're not sold on Brown because he plays a bad schedule (so did Boyd, but you think that's irrelevant); he played well against a highly regarded player (but you heard the kid is a poor defender); and you subscribe to smaller schools with better basketball players (I didn't say athletes) is simply a narrative and everyone who sees it that way can't see the forest through the trees.    Is that right?   I'm just quoting you.

So help me.  Indiana has lost 8 of 9 games.  Indiana has finished 7th or worse in the Big Ten 4 of the last 6 seasons and this will be the 5th time in 7 years; even leaving out Crean's first 3 years......with a whole bunch of AAU stars and kids who weren't gym rat basketball players from wherever....not the point, really.  You think Luke Brown won't succeed.....why, exactly?    

Bingo!

A kid who can shoot like that will get an opportunity somewhere. Could be Big Ten but doesnt mean he will play alot at that level. Matt Roth was a great HS player in Illinois but saw limited pt in college. Gonna be an interesting one to watch over the next couple years.

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

Thanks for the link. I'm going to trust the staff on whether or not this kid fits what we're trying to do. But, I was impressed! Crazy range on his shot, terrific passing skills, and decent ball handling. For me, the bottom line is he can play and will find a place somewhere in the college game.

Yeah, if you’re going to have an elite skill, he’s got the one to have. Great balance. Quick, simple release. Love it. Doubt if he ever gets into slumps. Handle looks pretty tight. Seems to see the whole floor. But, athletically, he’s a mile away. Doesn’t run well. No explosion downhill. Doesn’t move well laterally. We’ve all heard the comparisons to Zeisloft and Roth and Damon and Alford. He’s not as athletic as any of them. He’s really going to have to mature physically to have any chance to defend. Today he has no chance. A kid like Armaan Franklin would embarrass him. His inability to stay frontal would create constant defensive scramble situations. I would love to say I think he has a chance to be a Jordan Bohanon. I think that’s the only chance he has to play for Archie. CAM doesn’t seem interested in 6’1” guys playing off the ball. But right now, IMO, he’s got a long way to go. But that shot gives him a chance and makes him worth a follow. 

Does anyone know his AAU plans?

Yeah, if you’re going to have an elite skill, he’s got the one to have. Great balance. Quick, simple release. Love it. Doubt if he ever gets into slumps. Handle looks pretty tight. Seems to see the whole floor. But, athletically, he’s a mile away. Doesn’t run well. No explosion downhill. Doesn’t move well laterally. We’ve all heard the comparisons to Zeisloft and Roth and Damon and Alford. He’s not as athletic as any of them. He’s really going to have to mature physically to have any chance to defend. Today he has no chance. A kid like Armaan Franklin would embarrass him. His inability to stay frontal would create constant defensive scramble situations. I would love to say I think he has a chance to be a Jordan Bohanon. I think that’s the only chance he has to play for Archie. CAM doesn’t seem interested in 6’1” guys playing off the ball. But right now, IMO, he’s got a long way to go. But that shot gives him a chance and makes him worth a follow. 
Does anyone know his AAU plans?

He plays for Indiana Elite. In past years he’s played up a grade with the 2020 team.