Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

(2021) G Luke Brown to Ball State

18 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

If this is the case the D1 offers will start rolling in.

I'd lay money that people are going to have some complaints about this recruitment when AAU picks up and the offers come rolling in. I'm from Indianapolis and graduated HS in 2006, so I've seen and played against some guys that are NBA veterans right now. I'm not saying he's at that level (Conley still gives me nightmares lol), but he's doing things that those guys weren't at that age and some of it can't be taught.

On 2/5/2019 at 12:18 PM, Rico said:

Good luck with the tickets.  I had to look up to see how big Burris' gym was.......1,500.  Wow.

It'll feel smaller than that.   It's above a pool and there's a track around the top.   There might be 6 rows of seats on both sides.  Cool place, but it's tiny.

I have no idea....has Archie offered this kid yet?   He's a ballplayer.  Straight up.   Reminds me a little of Brody Boyd.  

Great game to be at, very nice atmosphere and they packed the place as I told my buddy beforehand it likely would be. Northwestern only has one loss on the season and you could see why. Taysom Parker is quite the show himself. Absolutely dominated the first quarter. For whatever reason Blackford came out playing some kind of oddball zone where the 3 point line isn't guarded and Parker and the rest of the Tigers torched them to jump out to a huge lead. Took Blackford way too long to adjust.
Northwestern was also doubling and trapping Luke Brown a lot in the first quarter, and while he didn't score he had great ball control and made some really nice finds. For a sophomore the kid handles pressure extremely well and his vision is way ahead of his age. You could tell in the 2nd half he was told to score the ball, and boy did he ever. Offensively he's a ton of fun to watch. Beautiful stroke, good handles. And defensively in the 2nd half Blackford switched to a man-to-man and Brown did a very nice job on Parker which was a lot of the reason they made it a game near the end. Very impressed with both star players and would love to see them playing with and against better competition but the head to head matchup was a real treat to watch. 
Hard to beat Indiana HS basketball folks.

Was it there crazy 1-1-3 zone?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

10 hours ago, Bigred3588 said:

I'd lay money that people are going to have some complaints about this recruitment when AAU picks up and the offers come rolling in. I'm from Indianapolis and graduated HS in 2006, so I've seen and played against some guys that are NBA veterans right now. I'm not saying he's at that level (Conley still gives me nightmares lol), but he's doing things that those guys weren't at that age and some of it can't be taught.

I don't see a down to go in early with this kid.  He finds a way to win, know how to incorporate team strengths, handles pressure as a HS Sophomore that most college players can't.  I think we will be sorry if we are late to the game on this.

Just my opinion.

For those wondering about his recruitment and questioning which schools at the D1 level have been showing interest in Brown, I read an article where Wisconsin, Purdue, Butler, and Ball State were listed as the D1 schools expressing the most interest.  I have no idea if Indiana has expressed any interest, but I imagine at some point Archie will at least check this kid out to be sure he's not naively missing a gem from this state.

Considering Brown has claimed Indiana is his dream school...if Purdue lands him because Indiana didn't want him, then look for him to play with a chip on his shoulder each time he plays against Indiana.  I'm not suggesting Archie needs to offer, as I'm not sure how much development Brown will make in his next two seasons or at what level his play will plateau, but he's been praised for being among the hardest working players Jerry Hoover has ever witnessed...a man in his mid-eighties who has coached most his life, including 14 years as an assistant at Indiana State (he also coached Randy Wittman at Ben Davis).  And, recent seasons when Hoover was not coaching, he still managed to watch roughly 100 games or more each season.  He has seen a lot of players in his day, so if he thinks the sky is the limit for Brown, then I'm not willing to doubt him.  I guess we all will see in time...a lot may be revealed in AAU, as well as two more seasons of high school.

I hope to have a better assessment of his game once I see him play this month, although I don't foresee Burris as a tough outing for Blackford.  Then again, they may double or even triple team him as has been the mode of operation for some defending teams this season.

55 minutes ago, HoosierCoop said:

I don't see a down to go in early with this kid.  He finds a way to win, know how to incorporate team strengths, handles pressure as a HS Sophomore that most college players can't.  I think we will be sorry if we are late to the game on this.

Just my opinion.

Totally agree.. He'll end up at Butler, Purdue, or Notre Dame if IU isn't careful. Then torch us in the Crossroad Classic. 

I'm not saying he won't be a major D1 player but expressing interest and getting actual offers are 2 different things and even though he's a scoring machine, if he's not gotten any major offers to date, there's a reason.  There's a lot of time to let this one play out.

17 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I'm not saying he won't be a major D1 player but expressing interest and getting actual offers are 2 different things and even though he's a scoring machine, if he's not gotten any major offers to date, there's a reason.  There's a lot of time to let this one play out.

There are a lot of kids who don't have "measurables" and are just ballplayers.  Ballplayers figure it out.  Kid can shoot and has a high basketball IQ.  Been taught by an old school coach who understands fundamentals along with angles and spacing.   Couldn't care less where he's ranked or what other schools think.  Indiana needs to at the very least "show interest," and see how he might fit.  If in the end he doesn't or shows he's not capable, fine....but I don't want to see him at Purdue having success because Indiana (again...and it happened time and again w Davis and Crean) felt it could get what it needed elsewhere.   (See : Stanford Robinson en lieu of a couple of local kids)

11 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Brody Boyd played at Union Dugger.   Just sayin'.

Meh. One doesn’t equal the other. Rabby mentioned that when Brown actually faced a mid major guy in AAU he got shutdown and didn’t score.

Meh. One doesn’t equal the other. Rabby mentioned that when Brown actually faced a mid major guy in AAU he got shutdown and didn’t score.

He did that on Tuesday and did just fine. I understand he played bad in AAU against mid major guy or two but he also score 34 against a likely mid major guy a couple days ago too. I don’t know who the mid major guys that shut Luke down in AAU are but I’d venture to say that Tayson Parker is probably more athletic than they are. He’s just not really a pg and only 6’1.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

37 minutes ago, VO5 said:

He just tore apart a potential D1 player the other night. He was coming off ankle surgery this past AAU season and missed most of it, while playing up a year in competition. 

I still say that part of the problem is the surplus of undersized yet talented guards in Indiana in the 2021 class.  We know Archie has his eyes on Lander and Blackmon as well.  Should Brown be a priority over either of them?  Is Archie willing to take 2 of these guys?  I think Archie definitely needs to keep tabs on Brown, but he's got plenty of competition for an offer in this class already.

2 hours ago, VO5 said:

Maybe, but he was also coming off of a leg injury that sidelined him half of his FR season!

Show of hands please - how many of you really believe Archie and staff have never heard of Luke Brown or watched any game tape?   Just because our name hasn't specifically been mentioned doesn't mean we haven't watched a ton of tape and maybe even watched in person and it just didn't get publicized.  Flint or Ostrom not nearly as recognizable as Archie or Schilling would be.  Just a thought.

3 hours ago, VO5 said:

One doesn't equal the other both ways.   Because he's played a bad schedule has nothing to do with what he can do in college.  Boyd was merely one example.  In Myles Turner's last game at Texas against Purdue he didn't score and had 2 rebounds.  Players have bad games.   The kid leads the state in scoring and he can shoot.   Lots of kids his size have had successful careers and he understands the little things many (Green, for example) don't.   

2 hours ago, moyemayhem said:

I still say that part of the problem is the surplus of undersized yet talented guards in Indiana in the 2021 class.  We know Archie has his eyes on Lander and Blackmon as well.  Should Brown be a priority over either of them?  Is Archie willing to take 2 of these guys?  I think Archie definitely needs to keep tabs on Brown, but he's got plenty of competition for an offer in this class already.

I am personally not sold on the Blackmon's.   I know they're talented, but I also think they're limited within a structured offense while not showing much interest in defense.  I also believe with my entire being that AAU and high school ball are 180* different.   Some kids succeed with more structure while other succeed in an AAU environment.   If Brown is the former, he'll do fine in college.  I'm convinced the Blackmon's are more successful in wide open games where they can create and have some more freedom.   

3 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I am personally not sold on the Blackmon's.   I know they're talented, but I also think they're limited within a structured offense while not showing much interest in defense.  I also believe with my entire being that AAU and high school ball are 180* different.   Some kids succeed with more structure while other succeed in an AAU environment.   If Brown is the former, he'll do fine in college.  I'm convinced the Blackmon's are more successful in wide open games where they can create and have some more freedom.   

I'm not certain, but I thought this Blackmon was was putting up impressive numbers in both High school and AAU